Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB- Interior fiberglass for back pad Ends 8/1
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
As you know I have the WAS top going now and I have the tooling for the substructure that I'm currently producing. I have been talking about having the substructure made in production quantities and have move my tooling over to an outside vendor to produce these parts much faster than I can.

Turns out he has the tooling for the back pads and is offering me the ability to produce the parts at a great price. I figured that I'd pass it along. These parts will be available in 2 weeks and I'm making a custom box to ship that will add $8 to the shipping cost (actual).

Anyone interested?

PRODUCT IS IN!
bdstone914
Sweeeeeet.
racerbvd
Great idea!!
raw1298
yeah buddy!! That is awesome!
messix
is this the same that james is selling from 914ap?
Mikey914
QUOTE(messix @ Jul 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *

is this the same that james is selling from 914ap?

Yes, I decided to have him make my substructure using my molds as he's making some great stuff for us already. I can't make all the parts myself so I'd rather support the guys that support us. He mentioned that he wanted to get these rolling and offer to sell me 10 for a group buy so I committed.

His retail is $250 for this part and I will retail at the same price after the group buy. I will be stocking more parts of his as this will also help him to not have shipping shortages.

I will not be undercutting his prices, and he has authorized this group buy. I'll be handling the packaging and shipping.
Mike Knox
I really like this. My backpad is pretty fragile, it would be nice to replace it.

Count me in.

Mike Knox
nsr-jamie
I think its a cool idea!! So how does it work? Do you use your old vinyl material...my vinyl isn't in too bad of shape but the actual padding or cushioning inside is coming apart and there is stuff coming out everywhere near the floor and would like to clean it up a bit...plus the hooks on the rear that clip to the fire wall (engine wall) are broken are mine so it just sits loose in there.....do you think its a big job to convert to this?

Mikey914
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jul 3 2011, 08:43 PM) *

I think its a cool idea!! So how does it work? Do you use your old vinyl material...my vinyl isn't in too bad of shape but the actual padding or cushioning inside is coming apart and there is stuff coming out everywhere near the floor and would like to clean it up a bit...plus the hooks on the rear that clip to the fire wall (engine wall) are broken are mine so it just sits loose in there.....do you think its a big job to convert to this?

Given that the cardboard is the biggest problem, I plan to try to peel the edges up and glue the old vinyl onto the new backing. I'll be transplanting the hardware over. I haven't done this yet as i don't have it in and, but I'll post when I get them in.

I figure that I'll keep the group buy on for about 2 weeks. July 20th.
Rob914
I am interested. Do you know the shipping cost to Zip Code 60046?

Rob
nsr-jamie
Does it come with those clips or tabs that fit into the firewall like the original? Mine have broken off on my car and it just sits in there and is held up by the passenger seat.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rob914 @ Jul 4 2011, 06:22 PM) *

Rob

The actual weight puts it at about $22 (+the box), I will not have the dimmensional weight until I have a set in hand and can have the boxes made. The key is to pack them as well as possible without having too big of a box, I can answer the question as soon as the boxes are done.

Sorry I can't be more accurate, but I don't have those dimmensions yet.

It is just the fiberglass and doesn't have clips with it. I plan to reuse my old clips. Thay could be made if there is enough interest.
-mark
Rex-n-effect
Mark,
I need one of those. Count me in.

Rex
Elliot Cannon
How will you prevent moisture from collecting betwee this F/G backpad and the firewall?
r_towle
With all the fuss of putting aftermarket seats into a 914 because they wont fit a stock backpad.....have you (both of you) considered a decent looking solution that uses maybe a 944/boxster seat (or miate) that fits into a new backpad shell?

Rich
Mikey914
Actually we haven't yet. I'm going to leave that up to James to decide. I will be stocking some of his products to help with turn around times, and add to my product line.

I have 6 left and have been able to work out a deal to reduce the cost to $179.

James is also looking at a vinyl kit to go with this. You will still need to add the foam and fasteners, but as a DYI kit it will save some cash.

Boxes will be in next week. and shipping USPS priority mail would be about $20, or less.
morph
i have modified a backpad to fit custom seats smile.gif
ConeDodger
Oh great! Now James and Mark are working together to threaten my retirement... I'm in. Give me details when you have them... Mine is a late model if that makes a difference.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 4 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Rob

The actual weight puts it at about $22 (+the box), I will not have the dimmensional weight until I have a set in hand and can have the boxes made. The key is to pack them as well as possible without having too big of a box, I can answer the question as soon as the boxes are done.

It is just the fiberglass and doesn't have clips with it. I plan to reuse my old clips. Thay could be made if there is enough interest.
-mark

I have found some non custom boxes that are only $5

Dimensional weight puts the cost for Fedex home delivery (insured at $200) at $30.04+$5+$179=$214.04

USPS Parcel Post insured run $22.52 parcel post. Insurance (recommended) adds $2.85 for $200. The total shipping is $30.07. Priority mail is showing $43 and some change off the USPS website with dimensions entered.
Total is $179+30.07 = $209.07.

Kind of gives you an idea of where the costs and options are. Honestly, if it were me I would do the Fedex as I trust them more.

Elliot- I didn't realize there was a moisture problem here, but my thought is that without the cardboard any moisture on the back side would wind up on the floor. If this was a concern you could add a thin material to the back side that would do that.

http://www2.dupont.com/Energy_Solutions/en...ing%20_Info.pdf

In my opinion overkill, but there are several other types of material you could use if this is an issue. I have not noticed this on my car before, but is this a function of not having a "mat" on the firewall side and the tar liner on the inside?

Rob-
Come on, you know you'll never retire, just stear into the skid.

For all -
I'm getting a first "DIY kit" from James to do my back pad next week. I will have some pictures, but doubt I'll be able to get it dome before I have to go back to the day job at the end of the week. I'll have pricing on this too next week.

-Mark

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 9 2011, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 4 2011, 11:21 PM) *

Rob

-mark

I have found some non custom boxes that are only $5

Dimensional weight puts the cost for Fedex home delivery (insured at $200) at $30.04+$5+$179=$214.04

USPS Parcel Post insured run $22.52 parcel post. Insurance (recommended) adds $2.85 for $200. The total shipping is $30.07. Priority mail is showing $43 and some change off the USPS website with dimensions entered.
Total is $179+30.07 = $209.07.

Kind of gives you an idea of where the costs and options are. Honestly, if it were me I would do the Fedex as I trust them more.

Elliot- I didn't realize there was a moisture problem here, but my thought is that without the cardboard any moisture on the back side would wind up on the floor. If this was a concern you could add a thin material to the back side that would do that.

http://www2.dupont.com/Energy_Solutions/en...ing%20_Info.pdf

In my opinion overkill, but there are several other types of material you could use if this is an issue. I have not noticed this on my car before, but is this a function of not having a "mat" on the firewall side and the tar liner on the inside?

Rob-
Come on, you know you'll never retire, just stear into the skid.

For all -
I'm getting a first "DIY kit" from James to do my back pad next week. I will have some pictures, but doubt I'll be able to get it dome before I have to go back to the day job at the end of the week. I'll have pricing on this too next week.

-Mark

I was "steering into the skid" all day today. I took Nicho along for every lap and he is sound asleep right now with a permanent grin! biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
re-seal your back window wink.gif
ptravnic
I'm in for the GB. PM Sent.

-pt
tango-52
I'll take it! I already had the backpad out to recover. I might as well upgrade while I'm at it.
wky930
I will take one and provide a shipping address when you are ready to ship. Please provide cost information on the vinyl kit. Thannk you.
Mikey914
Picking up the boxes Tue, Shiping Wed. I'll have more info and pictures of the back pad vinyl later in the week.

Rob914
Mark,

This is probably asking the obvious but I overlooked it when I first read the thread. Is this back pad only for 72-76 cars with the adjustable passenger seat or is the back pad the same for all cars? If they are not the same, is a back pad available for 70-71 cars?

Thanks,
Rob
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 8 2011, 11:45 AM) *

Actually we haven't yet. I'm going to leave that up to James to decide. I will be stocking some of his products to help with turn around times, and add to my product line.

James is also looking at a vinyl kit to go with this. You will still need to add the foam and fasteners, but as a DYI kit it will save some cash.

Boxes will be in next week. and shipping USPS priority mail would be about $20, or less.

Are these still available??? smile.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(Rob914 @ Jul 11 2011, 07:13 AM) *

Mark,

This is probably asking the obvious but I overlooked it when I first read the thread. Is this back pad only for 72-76 cars with the adjustable passenger seat or is the back pad the same for all cars? If they are not the same, is a back pad available for 70-71 cars?

Thanks,
Rob

These are not the same as the 70-71 sorry. James may make am early version later.
Mikey914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 16 2012, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 8 2011, 11:45 AM) *

Are these still available??? smile.gif

I have them on the website under fiberglass parts-
http://shop.914rubber.com/category.sc;jses...2?categoryId=15
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.