Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advise?, Distributor failure
ILM914
post Jul 6 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,126
Region Association: None

Hi All; Anyone have their Dizzy wear out? What are the symptoms? My car seeems to run poorly and on a couple of cylinders. it hesitates and bucks when I drive it. And when I push the distributor to the side while it is running the engine runs better. I suspect the dizzy shaft bearings. I have checked and or replaced everything else that I thought it might be previously. Anyone use Cardone replacement dizzy, or Malory? Are they good/reliable? Thank you for the help, Happy motoring, Joe
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
simonr
post Jul 6 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,925

Make sure your distributor is being held tight by the clamp. If it moves around your timing will be off. A worn distributor will cause any number of driving discomforts. remove the distributor make sure the cam lobe is lubed with bosch cam grease. check the play on the shaft. verify your timing when put back in. Ed Fall in Sandy Utah is the best at rebuilding distributors and ensuring the advance curve
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 6 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

we had this exact failure at the last Vintage racing event.

An MG was missing on two cylinders, and everything checked out fine when the engine wasnt running.

Turns out the dizzy bearings were bad and the rotor was wearing out the dist cap contacts very quickly.

Symptoms were just as you describe.

Stu
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Jul 6 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,221
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Hi All; Anyone have their Dizzy wear out? What are the symptoms? My car seeems to run poorly and on a couple of cylinders. it hesitates and bucks when I drive it. And when I push the distributor to the side while it is running the engine runs better. I suspect the dizzy shaft bearings. I have checked and or replaced everything else that I thought it might be previously. Anyone use Cardone replacement dizzy, or Malory? Are they good/reliable? Thank you for the help, Happy motoring, Joe

I wonder if you have a bad connection or broken wire at your trigger points? Possibly when you are moving the distributor, you are making a good connection on the connector or wire. If one side isn't working, you'll lose two cylinders. try to wiggle just the connector and see if that helps.
+Quote Post
ILM914
post Jul 8 2011, 03:16 PM
Post #5

I had tought it was the 3 prog connection on the back of the distributor until i realized what i was doing when i manipulated to plug was torqing the dizzy which made it run a little better until I let go of it. Thank you I'm sure the Dissy needs replacing or rebuild. This has been a good lesson in diagnostics for me. Thanks everyone, Joe

QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 6 2011, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 05:50 PM) *

I wonder if you have a bad connection or broken wire at your trigger points? Possibly when you are moving the distributor, you are making a good connection on the connector or wire. If one side isn't working, you'll lose two cylinders. try to wiggle just the connector and see if that helps.

+Quote Post
simonr
post Jul 8 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,925

Check out Ed Fall on the Samba. 150.00 He will make it like brand new.
+Quote Post
ILM914
post Jul 23 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #7

Thank you, the guy that sold me a bad Dizzy now won't return my calls to return it will post his info if he doesn't take it back.

r distri Y
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 04:50 PM) *

+Quote Post
ILM914
post Jul 30 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #8

Thanks everyone, yest the Dizzy had a stuck mechanical advance inside the unit, had it unstuck by a local shop, car is running awesone.

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 23 2011, 08:54 AM) *

Thank you, the guy that sold me a bad Dizzy now won't return my calls to return it will post his info if he doesn't take it back.

r distri Y
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 04:50 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:13 AM