Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ILM914
Hi All; Anyone have their Dizzy wear out? What are the symptoms? My car seeems to run poorly and on a couple of cylinders. it hesitates and bucks when I drive it. And when I push the distributor to the side while it is running the engine runs better. I suspect the dizzy shaft bearings. I have checked and or replaced everything else that I thought it might be previously. Anyone use Cardone replacement dizzy, or Malory? Are they good/reliable? Thank you for the help, Happy motoring, Joe
simonr
Make sure your distributor is being held tight by the clamp. If it moves around your timing will be off. A worn distributor will cause any number of driving discomforts. remove the distributor make sure the cam lobe is lubed with bosch cam grease. check the play on the shaft. verify your timing when put back in. Ed Fall in Sandy Utah is the best at rebuilding distributors and ensuring the advance curve
stugray
we had this exact failure at the last Vintage racing event.

An MG was missing on two cylinders, and everything checked out fine when the engine wasnt running.

Turns out the dizzy bearings were bad and the rotor was wearing out the dist cap contacts very quickly.

Symptoms were just as you describe.

Stu
914Mels
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 05:50 PM) *

Hi All; Anyone have their Dizzy wear out? What are the symptoms? My car seeems to run poorly and on a couple of cylinders. it hesitates and bucks when I drive it. And when I push the distributor to the side while it is running the engine runs better. I suspect the dizzy shaft bearings. I have checked and or replaced everything else that I thought it might be previously. Anyone use Cardone replacement dizzy, or Malory? Are they good/reliable? Thank you for the help, Happy motoring, Joe

I wonder if you have a bad connection or broken wire at your trigger points? Possibly when you are moving the distributor, you are making a good connection on the connector or wire. If one side isn't working, you'll lose two cylinders. try to wiggle just the connector and see if that helps.
ILM914
I had tought it was the 3 prog connection on the back of the distributor until i realized what i was doing when i manipulated to plug was torqing the dizzy which made it run a little better until I let go of it. Thank you I'm sure the Dissy needs replacing or rebuild. This has been a good lesson in diagnostics for me. Thanks everyone, Joe

QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 6 2011, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 05:50 PM) *

I wonder if you have a bad connection or broken wire at your trigger points? Possibly when you are moving the distributor, you are making a good connection on the connector or wire. If one side isn't working, you'll lose two cylinders. try to wiggle just the connector and see if that helps.

simonr
Check out Ed Fall on the Samba. 150.00 He will make it like brand new.
ILM914
Thank you, the guy that sold me a bad Dizzy now won't return my calls to return it will post his info if he doesn't take it back.

r distri Y
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 04:50 PM) *

ILM914
Thanks everyone, yest the Dizzy had a stuck mechanical advance inside the unit, had it unstuck by a local shop, car is running awesone.

QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 23 2011, 08:54 AM) *

Thank you, the guy that sold me a bad Dizzy now won't return my calls to return it will post his info if he doesn't take it back.

r distri Y
QUOTE(ILM914 @ Jul 6 2011, 04:50 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.