Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It started and ran, no mo knock and a test drive
76-914
post Jul 11 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I finally got around to starting up the engine last nite. It's a GC case, 2.0 with Rabys FI cam and 911 rocker set up. The P&C's were OK according to Rimco so they just honed the cylinders. I put in a new set of Grant (USA) rings. The heads were rebuilt. New OEM std/std mains (a $200 screwing from our much beloved "King" himself, [I ain't missing him so far]), a rebuilt MPS (thx Geoff/ aka Bleyseng) and a new set of injectors. I used the set of points and condensor that came with the car because I will change out to Petronix once the bugs are out. The plug wires are OK but will be changed out, also.
I was surprised that it caught and fired so quickly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but wasn't so happy with the knocking sound. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) It didn't sound like a rod knocking, though). It also was running on 3 cylinders. I shut it down and pulled the plugs. #2 plug wire was not seating so that was a no brainer. The others looked ok. There were no oil leaks, yet. Oil pressure upon start up was 45psi and FP was 27-29psi. When restarted it was much smoother but still knocking. I crawled beneath but couldn't hear it. I crawled in the cabin and noticed that the noise changed and quited as I pushed on the shifter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I'll pull the tranny later this week, start it and see if it is quite. Foolish confidence told me that it wasn't a rod knocking so I completed the break in run on the cam. The noise has almost gone away since the break in run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I noticed that the air cleaned had held the cooling flaps in the cold or closed position for the first 10 min's of run time which I think contributed to the drop in oil pressure. It had dropped to 20 psi by now. BTW, it is the std T4 oil pump. More to come later. Comments and input/opinions greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:25 PM