Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CL 65 AMG Engine & Transmission, Wiring and computers.
drive-ability
post Jul 13 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

I just pickup an engine & trans for a yet unknown project. Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit. Its like 600 + HP and 750 pound feet of torque masterpiece. I didn't think there was anyway I would be able to swing the deal but its going to happen. I think besides boning up on the Benz system, I will be building a engine test stand. Its likely going to take a while. I would love to put it in a 944 but I need to take my time. I'll have some picks soon.
No it just wont fit in the 914 or maybe it will LOL
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 13 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Hope you got all the electronics with it, otherwise it's a boat anchor.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Jul 13 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Hope you got all the electronics with it, otherwise it's a boat anchor.

The Cap'n

Hey Cap'n

I would agree ! The engine has all the sensors and there's a big box of wiring along with 2 computers. I was thinking there also should be a throttle pedal as well. The car is stripped down in a warehouse, interior, hvac dash etc.
The problem is I really don't know what I need, I'm now trying to make up a list via the net. There are so many parts I may team up with the guy and sell the rest on EBAY. I'm not going to front any of the money, the thing is I have the time and he's going to loose the space soon.
I admit completely being over my head here ! I need some time to research everything I need.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Jul 13 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

What, your not going to slap three pairs of IDA's on it? Just kidding, ha, ha.

Something good has to come from such an audacious project.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Good luck.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Jul 14 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #5

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you got all the electronics, my vote would be do a street rod. I hate our MB and am saving up to have enough down payment to get rid of it. No dipstick must check oil via the dash board info. Fly by wire brakes SBC system great when they work but I have a accumulator that is bad and they want $1300 to change it. I found the part for $250 but you must deactivate the brake system to change and you need a MB star tool to do that. Unhooking the battery will not do it because the SBC has inteernal battery incase the main battery goes out. Look up the MB SBC brakes and see how many folks get hurt working on these. ODB readers dont read MB stuff must buy high dollar MB star tool to read codes. So I have a constant brake light I cant reset oh yes we didnt use it for a couple of weeks and the battery got low enough it tripped a low bat light charged it up but guess what it is a latched fault only way to clear... you guessed it star tool.
+Quote Post
Twise
post Jul 14 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 13 2011, 10:05 PM) *

I admit completely being over my head here ! I need some time to research everything I need.

PM me your phone number and I will ask my friend Mick to call you. He will know what you absolutely need. He is a very good mechanic at Mercedes Benz of Escondido. I am sure he can tell you what you will need.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 14 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You didn't say what year the car is, but newer MBs are like everything else, only more. They use links between several computers, and the instrument cluster, steering column, and body controllers may be integral to the operation of the engine electronics.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 14 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #8

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

i'm thinking something

auto union gp ish

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
barada
post Jul 14 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,613

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 14 2011, 02:59 PM) *

i'm thinking something

auto union gp ish

If you guys get into a group of folks wanting to do MB V8 Swaps let me know. My CLK 430's Tranny is starting to go so I could make someone a heck of a deal for an entire car.

Phillip
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 14 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 13 2011, 08:57 PM) *

I just pickup an engine & trans for a yet unknown project. Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit. Its like 600 + HP and 750 pound feet of torque masterpiece. I didn't think there was anyway I would be able to swing the deal but its going to happen. I think besides boning up on the Benz system, I will be building a engine test stand. Its likely going to take a while. I would love to put it in a 944 but I need to take my time. I'll have some picks soon.
No it just wont fit in the 914 or maybe it will LOL

sorry i meant mb-w125 since it's heart is the mercedes engine

or kit car pigonii zonda is nice too

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jul 14 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

How about in this:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/img834.imageshack.us-11125-1310690670.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Jul 14 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #12

Unregistered

The electronic troubleshooting can be very frustrating!

I bought a MB ML430 for cheap because the dash looked like a christmas tree (lights galore). The dealer wanted more than $3,000 just for parts (according to the computer diagnostics tools). I had the ABS pump motor rebuilt for $76 and installed an aftermarket MAF for $85 and now all is good. No lights!

... but it took a lot of research.

Good luck!

Eddie
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Jul 14 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #13

Its in the garage

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/members.cox.net-3782-1310705046.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jul 14 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jul 14 2011, 08:56 AM) *

If you got all the electronics, my vote would be do a street rod. I hate our MB and am saving up to have enough down payment to get rid of it. No dipstick must check oil via the dash board info. Fly by wire brakes SBC system great when they work but I have a accumulator that is bad and they want $1300 to change it. I found the part for $250 but you must deactivate the brake system to change and you need a MB star tool to do that. Unhooking the battery will not do it because the SBC has inteernal battery incase the main battery goes out. Look up the MB SBC brakes and see how many folks get hurt working on these. ODB readers dont read MB stuff must buy high dollar MB star tool to read codes. So I have a constant brake light I cant reset oh yes we didnt use it for a couple of weeks and the battery got low enough it tripped a low bat light charged it up but guess what it is a latched fault only way to clear... you guessed it star tool.

try to google SBC and de-active. I have a wagon with sbc and looked into it as well and worked just fine. yeap, the sbc brake is a PITA to work on but still one of the best brakes i ever had. ps bmw has a simular system they just don't talk about it.
d
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jul 14 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #15

try to google SBC and de-active. I have a wagon with sbc and looked into it as well and worked just fine. yeap, the sbc brake is a PITA to work on but still one of the best brakes i ever had. ps bmw has a simular system they just don't talk about it.
d
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jul 14 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(draganc @ Jul 14 2011, 09:00 PM) *

d

+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Jul 18 2011, 01:14 PM
Post #17

I understand the car uses a network, I'm going to get the complete harness and computers. This one looks to connect to the engine and transmission as it plugs into each.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/members.cox.net-3782-1311016444.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/members.cox.net-3782-1311016444.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jul 18 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #18

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

Too many wires for me.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jul 18 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #19

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit.

That thing will bolt into my SL550 no problem!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Oct 11 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #20

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Any progress/plans?

I'm very curious... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:07 PM