Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CL 65 AMG Engine & Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I just pickup an engine & trans for a yet unknown project. Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit. Its like 600 + HP and 750 pound feet of torque masterpiece. I didn't think there was anyway I would be able to swing the deal but its going to happen. I think besides boning up on the Benz system, I will be building a engine test stand. Its likely going to take a while. I would love to put it in a 944 but I need to take my time. I'll have some picks soon.
No it just wont fit in the 914 or maybe it will LOL
Cap'n Krusty
Hope you got all the electronics with it, otherwise it's a boat anchor.

The Cap'n
drive-ability
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Hope you got all the electronics with it, otherwise it's a boat anchor.

The Cap'n

Hey Cap'n

I would agree ! The engine has all the sensors and there's a big box of wiring along with 2 computers. I was thinking there also should be a throttle pedal as well. The car is stripped down in a warehouse, interior, hvac dash etc.
The problem is I really don't know what I need, I'm now trying to make up a list via the net. There are so many parts I may team up with the guy and sell the rest on EBAY. I'm not going to front any of the money, the thing is I have the time and he's going to loose the space soon.
I admit completely being over my head here ! I need some time to research everything I need.
Prospectfarms
What, your not going to slap three pairs of IDA's on it? Just kidding, ha, ha.

Something good has to come from such an audacious project.

aktion035.gif

Good luck.
spare time toys
If you got all the electronics, my vote would be do a street rod. I hate our MB and am saving up to have enough down payment to get rid of it. No dipstick must check oil via the dash board info. Fly by wire brakes SBC system great when they work but I have a accumulator that is bad and they want $1300 to change it. I found the part for $250 but you must deactivate the brake system to change and you need a MB star tool to do that. Unhooking the battery will not do it because the SBC has inteernal battery incase the main battery goes out. Look up the MB SBC brakes and see how many folks get hurt working on these. ODB readers dont read MB stuff must buy high dollar MB star tool to read codes. So I have a constant brake light I cant reset oh yes we didnt use it for a couple of weeks and the battery got low enough it tripped a low bat light charged it up but guess what it is a latched fault only way to clear... you guessed it star tool.
Twise
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 13 2011, 10:05 PM) *

I admit completely being over my head here ! I need some time to research everything I need.

PM me your phone number and I will ask my friend Mick to call you. He will know what you absolutely need. He is a very good mechanic at Mercedes Benz of Escondido. I am sure he can tell you what you will need.
Cap'n Krusty
You didn't say what year the car is, but newer MBs are like everything else, only more. They use links between several computers, and the instrument cluster, steering column, and body controllers may be integral to the operation of the engine electronics.

The Cap'n
thelogo
i'm thinking something

auto union gp ish
barada
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 14 2011, 02:59 PM) *

i'm thinking something

auto union gp ish

If you guys get into a group of folks wanting to do MB V8 Swaps let me know. My CLK 430's Tranny is starting to go so I could make someone a heck of a deal for an entire car.

Phillip
thelogo
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jul 13 2011, 08:57 PM) *

I just pickup an engine & trans for a yet unknown project. Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit. Its like 600 + HP and 750 pound feet of torque masterpiece. I didn't think there was anyway I would be able to swing the deal but its going to happen. I think besides boning up on the Benz system, I will be building a engine test stand. Its likely going to take a while. I would love to put it in a 944 but I need to take my time. I'll have some picks soon.
No it just wont fit in the 914 or maybe it will LOL

sorry i meant mb-w125 since it's heart is the mercedes engine

or kit car pigonii zonda is nice too
matthepcat
How about in this:

IPB Image
Eddie914
The electronic troubleshooting can be very frustrating!

I bought a MB ML430 for cheap because the dash looked like a christmas tree (lights galore). The dealer wanted more than $3,000 just for parts (according to the computer diagnostics tools). I had the ABS pump motor rebuilt for $76 and installed an aftermarket MAF for $85 and now all is good. No lights!

... but it took a lot of research.

Good luck!

Eddie
drive-ability

Its in the garage

IPB Image
draganc
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Jul 14 2011, 08:56 AM) *

If you got all the electronics, my vote would be do a street rod. I hate our MB and am saving up to have enough down payment to get rid of it. No dipstick must check oil via the dash board info. Fly by wire brakes SBC system great when they work but I have a accumulator that is bad and they want $1300 to change it. I found the part for $250 but you must deactivate the brake system to change and you need a MB star tool to do that. Unhooking the battery will not do it because the SBC has inteernal battery incase the main battery goes out. Look up the MB SBC brakes and see how many folks get hurt working on these. ODB readers dont read MB stuff must buy high dollar MB star tool to read codes. So I have a constant brake light I cant reset oh yes we didnt use it for a couple of weeks and the battery got low enough it tripped a low bat light charged it up but guess what it is a latched fault only way to clear... you guessed it star tool.

try to google SBC and de-active. I have a wagon with sbc and looked into it as well and worked just fine. yeap, the sbc brake is a PITA to work on but still one of the best brakes i ever had. ps bmw has a simular system they just don't talk about it.
d
draganc

try to google SBC and de-active. I have a wagon with sbc and looked into it as well and worked just fine. yeap, the sbc brake is a PITA to work on but still one of the best brakes i ever had. ps bmw has a simular system they just don't talk about it.
d
draganc
QUOTE(draganc @ Jul 14 2011, 09:00 PM) *

d

drive-ability
I understand the car uses a network, I'm going to get the complete harness and computers. This one looks to connect to the engine and transmission as it plugs into each.

IPB Image

IPB Image
ripper911
Too many wires for me.
Jeffs9146
Its a CL 65 AMG, 12 cylinder twin turbo unit.

That thing will bolt into my SL550 no problem!! aktion035.gif

BajaXJ92
Any progress/plans?

I'm very curious... chowtime.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.