Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horn/Steering Wheel Question, what am I missing here?
76-914
post Jul 19 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

In my rush to install this wheel I believe I mistakenly connected the horn lead to this spade. If I jump this spade or the ring it is affixed to then the horn works. I saw no way for the horn button to connect w/ ground so I looked in the PET. Referencing PET Grp 4, pg 001, illustration 403-05, fig #28: I believe I am missing the contact #914 347 831 00 and that it should go into the same hole as the wire comes thru. Am I correct or full of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) ? TIA, kent

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 19 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is the way I had mine hooked up for a while too. On mine the horn would go whenever the metal ring with the spade would contact the raised sill sticking out of the wheel.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 19 2011, 09:31 PM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 19 2011, 11:51 AM) *

This is the way I had mine hooked up for a while too. On mine the horn would go whenever the metal ring with the spade would contact the raised sill sticking out of the wheel.

And after a "while" you did what? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 19 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The horn contact is only for the early cars, up through 71 I think. What I see in your pictures is correct for the later cars.

The wire shown provides the ground path for the horn relay. When the button is pressed, the metal ring that the wire is attached to will touch the steering wheel hub. That in turn is grounded to the chassis, and that completes the circuit to ground.

Turn the key on and touch that metal part to the hub of the steering wheel. If the horn sounds, everything is working right.

--DD
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Jul 20 2011, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

the wire connects to the contact ring at the base of the steering wheel hub. it goes thru the hole in the wheel. it does not route thru the hole in the metal ring as yuo show it. your wire is a bit too long and has been repaired with a crimp. I recomend that you remove the wheel. remove the horn contact ring (3 screws). replace the wire with a 6" piece of stranded 18 AWG wire. run wire thru hole in wheel hub. re-install teh horn contact ring. add spade to connect to horn button.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jul 20 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #6

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I got tired of accidentally hitting the horn going around corners, and had a spare center piece lying around, so I put a momentary switch in the middle of the center piece, and used a flexible glue over the top of it with a metal badge I found online.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 11:15 PM