Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jason's Rookie 3.2 Conversion Q & A Thread!, Question 5: THROTTLE CABLE
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #1

914 Dumbass

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Everyone!

As some of the ClubNarpsters know, I've taken on a 3.2 conversion, replacing a 2.0 in my 75. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

While I've gone through numerous threads, there are still things that I'm just unsure of. Either I'm not finding the info, finding conflicting info, or I'm just too stupid naieve to figure it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm a rookie wrench-turner at best, and this is by far the largest project I have ever taken on.

I thought I'd do something a little different with my thread, instead of just posting progress pictures, I'd like to use this as a Q&A. I know it will help me and perhaps it will help others in the future. Thanks so much for any good info.

So.... lets do this thang!

QUESTION 1:
I am mating the 3.2 to a 901 sideshift transmission. I currently have the stock bell housing, stock pressure plate, and a low-mileage 6-spring clutch. I have heard, that with the 3.2, all I need is a 3.2 to 901 conversion flywheel (no ring, etc).
Is this true?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 20 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:34 PM) *

I am mating the 3.2 to a 901 sideshift transmission. I currently have the stock bell housing, stock pressure plate, and a low-mileage 6-spring clutch. I have heard, that with the 3.2, all I need is a 3.2 to 901 conversion flywheel (no ring, etc).
Is this true?

The starter 'ring gear' is integral to a 901 flywheel - it is not separate.
If you are retaining the 3,2's Motronic, you'll need a flywheel with the magick cam position sensor teeth.
The standard vendor for conversion (9-bolt 901) flywheels is Kennedy Enginered Products (KEP). I'd probably go with whatever clutch disk they recommend, although I understand your desire to retain the prior investment.

I do not know if they have flywheels with the Motronic magick.
If not, Patrick Racing surely does. I'd ask Kennedy first...
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 20 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I'm running the stock 3.2 flywheel with the Kep adapter ring and stage 2 clutch. I'm also running there special throw out bearing. I'm also running the stock dme injection so I had to notch the bell housing on the 901 trans to clear the sensor. I think the 901 trans 2nd-5th with a 3.2 on the track is nice but for the street it kind of sucks IMHO. First gear is to low and weak and second is to tall. I either baby first or start out in second. The 3.6 and V8 guys have more power to start out in second, so it's less of an annoyance. I will eventually get a 915.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 20 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 10:41 AM) *

Is this true?

If you are retaining the 3,2's Motronic, you'll need a flywheel with the magick cam position sensor teeth.
The standard vendor for conversion (9-bolt 901) flywheels is Kennedy Enginered Products (KEP). I'd probably go with whatever clutch disk they recommend, although I understand your desire to retain the prior investment.

I agree,
I would call up KEP (Kennedy engineered Products). They used to sell just the ring but I think they now sell the whole flywheel that works with the DME.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jul 20 2011, 11:51 AM
Post #5

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 01:41 PM) *

Is this true?

This is all correct. I have an account with PMS, so I usually just order from them. I just sent an email to get current pricing and I'll post it here when I get it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #6

914 Dumbass

Thanks for the quick response guys! I am running the stock 3.2 DME and do plan to notch the bell housing for the 2 sensors.
Thanks for the follow-up Joe!
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jul 20 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Don't forget new flywheel bolts
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 20 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Thanks for the quick response guys! I am running the stock 3.2 DME and do plan to notch the bell housing for the 2 sensors.
Thanks for the follow-up Joe!

You will love the 3.2. I'm running factory six heat exchanges with it. Runs great!! It's a very modern engine and easily fits in a 914 with little modification. The injection automatically adjusts for altitude and starts right up everytime without pumping the gas pedal. I got tired of the clogged jets and pumping the gas pedal with carbs.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 20 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

I would take a trip to Phoenix and visit Jim Patrick at PMS. His shop is amazing and he can answer any question related to 914 conversions. Tell him I said hi. I used to live in Chandler and hang out at his shop and drool over the 914-6 conversions and restorations.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jul 20 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 01:41 PM) *

Is this true?

This is all correct. I have an account with PMS, so I usually just order from them. I just sent an email to get current pricing and I'll post it here when I get it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

$580.00 from PMS. This adapts the stock 3.2 flywheel to 901. Stage 2 KEP clutch and disc included.

+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #11

914 Dumbass

Thanks Joe!! My poor, poor wallet.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #12

914 Dumbass

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 20 2011, 12:11 PM) *

I would take a trip to Phoenix and visit Jim Patrick at PMS. His shop is amazing and he can answer any question related to 914 conversions. Tell him I said hi. I used to live in Chandler and hang out at his shop and drool over the 914-6 conversions and restorations.

Steve, I have heard that his shop is amazing. I believe I'm heading up to PHX next weekend so I plan to stop by there and empty my wallet. I don't know who will be there, but if Jim is there I will pass your greetings on.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #13

914 Dumbass

$580.00 from PMS. This adapts the stock 3.2 flywheel to 901. Stage 2 KEP clutch and disc included.

Joe, wait, just so I understand, this setup uses the 3.2 flywheel (which was mated to a 915) and allows it to be used on the 901? I was just looking at Wills' old conversion thread and though he had a new flywheel. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a cat though
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jul 20 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 05:53 PM) *

Joe, wait, just so I understand, this setup uses the 3.2 flywheel (which was mated to a 915) and allows it to be used on the 901? I was just looking at Wills' old conversion thread and though he had a new flywheel. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a cat though

Yes.

There are others that are one-piece flywheels. I've used both types.

And the $580 quote is for a purchase through me. See what he quotes you when you're there, but I could save you a little money, probably.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jul 20 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #15

And when you consider the cost of a 915 clutch by itself is around $550, it makes this conversion look pretty cheap.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 20 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,741

Did you verify the KEP flywheel will work with the Motronics? Last time I talked to them, they mentioned using the stock flywheel and get the ring gear.

Thankfully as part of my carb conversion, I'll be going with a new flywheel.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #17

914 Dumbass

As I learned today, I can use the stock 3.2 flywheel w/mototronics, along with the KEP ring, pressure plate, and new clutch disk. This is what it looks like I will do.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jul 20 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a 75 with an 84 3.2l and motronic. Order the kit from pms (ring, clutch, pressure plate) and get a new throw out bearing. If you don't have to take the flywheel off just remove the 3.2 ring and bolt on the conversion ring...done. Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #19

914 Dumbass

Thanks Jim.. that is what I plan to do. Already have a recently faced flywheel on the 3.2 so I think I'm good.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 20 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,741

Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.

Wait, what's this notching the tranny thing?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:42 PM