Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jason's Rookie 3.2 Conversion Q & A Thread!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
AZ914
Hey Everyone!

As some of the ClubNarpsters know, I've taken on a 3.2 conversion, replacing a 2.0 in my 75. driving.gif

While I've gone through numerous threads, there are still things that I'm just unsure of. Either I'm not finding the info, finding conflicting info, or I'm just too stupid naieve to figure it out. smile.gif I'm a rookie wrench-turner at best, and this is by far the largest project I have ever taken on.

I thought I'd do something a little different with my thread, instead of just posting progress pictures, I'd like to use this as a Q&A. I know it will help me and perhaps it will help others in the future. Thanks so much for any good info.

So.... lets do this thang!

QUESTION 1:
I am mating the 3.2 to a 901 sideshift transmission. I currently have the stock bell housing, stock pressure plate, and a low-mileage 6-spring clutch. I have heard, that with the 3.2, all I need is a 3.2 to 901 conversion flywheel (no ring, etc).
Is this true?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:34 PM) *

I am mating the 3.2 to a 901 sideshift transmission. I currently have the stock bell housing, stock pressure plate, and a low-mileage 6-spring clutch. I have heard, that with the 3.2, all I need is a 3.2 to 901 conversion flywheel (no ring, etc).
Is this true?

The starter 'ring gear' is integral to a 901 flywheel - it is not separate.
If you are retaining the 3,2's Motronic, you'll need a flywheel with the magick cam position sensor teeth.
The standard vendor for conversion (9-bolt 901) flywheels is Kennedy Enginered Products (KEP). I'd probably go with whatever clutch disk they recommend, although I understand your desire to retain the prior investment.

I do not know if they have flywheels with the Motronic magick.
If not, Patrick Racing surely does. I'd ask Kennedy first...
Steve
I'm running the stock 3.2 flywheel with the Kep adapter ring and stage 2 clutch. I'm also running there special throw out bearing. I'm also running the stock dme injection so I had to notch the bell housing on the 901 trans to clear the sensor. I think the 901 trans 2nd-5th with a 3.2 on the track is nice but for the street it kind of sucks IMHO. First gear is to low and weak and second is to tall. I either baby first or start out in second. The 3.6 and V8 guys have more power to start out in second, so it's less of an annoyance. I will eventually get a 915.
Steve
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 10:41 AM) *

Is this true?

If you are retaining the 3,2's Motronic, you'll need a flywheel with the magick cam position sensor teeth.
The standard vendor for conversion (9-bolt 901) flywheels is Kennedy Enginered Products (KEP). I'd probably go with whatever clutch disk they recommend, although I understand your desire to retain the prior investment.

I agree,
I would call up KEP (Kennedy engineered Products). They used to sell just the ring but I think they now sell the whole flywheel that works with the DME.
Series9
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 01:41 PM) *

Is this true?

This is all correct. I have an account with PMS, so I usually just order from them. I just sent an email to get current pricing and I'll post it here when I get it.
beerchug.gif
AZ914
Thanks for the quick response guys! I am running the stock 3.2 DME and do plan to notch the bell housing for the 2 sensors.
Thanks for the follow-up Joe!
Ferg
Don't forget new flywheel bolts
Steve
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Thanks for the quick response guys! I am running the stock 3.2 DME and do plan to notch the bell housing for the 2 sensors.
Thanks for the follow-up Joe!

You will love the 3.2. I'm running factory six heat exchanges with it. Runs great!! It's a very modern engine and easily fits in a 914 with little modification. The injection automatically adjusts for altitude and starts right up everytime without pumping the gas pedal. I got tired of the clogged jets and pumping the gas pedal with carbs.
Steve
I would take a trip to Phoenix and visit Jim Patrick at PMS. His shop is amazing and he can answer any question related to 914 conversions. Tell him I said hi. I used to live in Chandler and hang out at his shop and drool over the 914-6 conversions and restorations.
Series9
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 20 2011, 01:41 PM) *

Is this true?

This is all correct. I have an account with PMS, so I usually just order from them. I just sent an email to get current pricing and I'll post it here when I get it.
beerchug.gif

$580.00 from PMS. This adapts the stock 3.2 flywheel to 901. Stage 2 KEP clutch and disc included.

AZ914
Thanks Joe!! My poor, poor wallet.. dry.gif
AZ914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 20 2011, 12:11 PM) *

I would take a trip to Phoenix and visit Jim Patrick at PMS. His shop is amazing and he can answer any question related to 914 conversions. Tell him I said hi. I used to live in Chandler and hang out at his shop and drool over the 914-6 conversions and restorations.

Steve, I have heard that his shop is amazing. I believe I'm heading up to PHX next weekend so I plan to stop by there and empty my wallet. I don't know who will be there, but if Jim is there I will pass your greetings on.
AZ914
$580.00 from PMS. This adapts the stock 3.2 flywheel to 901. Stage 2 KEP clutch and disc included.

Joe, wait, just so I understand, this setup uses the 3.2 flywheel (which was mated to a 915) and allows it to be used on the 901? I was just looking at Wills' old conversion thread and though he had a new flywheel. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a cat though
Series9
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 20 2011, 05:53 PM) *

Joe, wait, just so I understand, this setup uses the 3.2 flywheel (which was mated to a 915) and allows it to be used on the 901? I was just looking at Wills' old conversion thread and though he had a new flywheel. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a cat though

Yes.

There are others that are one-piece flywheels. I've used both types.

And the $580 quote is for a purchase through me. See what he quotes you when you're there, but I could save you a little money, probably.
Series9
And when you consider the cost of a 915 clutch by itself is around $550, it makes this conversion look pretty cheap.
patssle
Did you verify the KEP flywheel will work with the Motronics? Last time I talked to them, they mentioned using the stock flywheel and get the ring gear.

Thankfully as part of my carb conversion, I'll be going with a new flywheel.
AZ914
As I learned today, I can use the stock 3.2 flywheel w/mototronics, along with the KEP ring, pressure plate, and new clutch disk. This is what it looks like I will do.
jim912928
I have a 75 with an 84 3.2l and motronic. Order the kit from pms (ring, clutch, pressure plate) and get a new throw out bearing. If you don't have to take the flywheel off just remove the 3.2 ring and bolt on the conversion ring...done. Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.
AZ914
Thanks Jim.. that is what I plan to do. Already have a recently faced flywheel on the 3.2 so I think I'm good.
patssle
Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.

Wait, what's this notching the tranny thing?
AZ914
QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 20 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.

Wait, what's this notching the tranny thing?

If you use the Mototronic from the 3.2, there is a speed sensor and a reference sensor (I think) attached to the motor that need to see the flywheel. (this is my non-technical jargon). The 901 doesn't have the notch to allow this to occur. Not a big deal. If you want a picture I can dig one up for you.
patssle
Oh ok. Thanks! Nah no picture needed, I'm going carbs! wink.gif
736conver
Here's a notched 901.
Click to view attachment
AZ914
Thanks for all the info on the clutch/flywheel setup. I went with the KEP Stage 2 kit to adapt to the 3.2 flywheel piratenanner.gif

DUMB QUESTION # 2: COIL MOUNTING

I've looked at tons of conversion threads and have come up empty. Where are you 3.2 conversion guys mounting the coil? I can't say I've seen a picture of one mounted... ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 25 2011, 03:01 PM) *
I've looked at tons of conversion threads and have come up empty. Where are you 3.2 conversion guys mounting the coil? I can't say I've seen a picture of one mounted... ?

Not a 3.2L but here's what i did. I mounted the coils to the side of the fan housing using a bracket.
popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
AZ914
Thx Andy.. Just a thought, anyone use the blower fan bracket over by where the oil filter would be? Wonder if it would interfere.
jcd914
I only have a 3.2L in the 914 in my dreams, so I have no practical experience but I try not to let such trivial things deter me from offering advise.

I would mount the coil to the engine. Every electrical circuit is a loop from the source to the consumer and back to the source. i.e. Battery to starter back to battery.If there is not a good connect anywhere along the way you loose electrical energy. The ground side of your spark has to get back to the coil and the coil grounds thru the body of the coil to ithe coil bracket and to what ever the bracket is mounted to and I figure the high energy of a spark should have as direct a route as possible.

Jim
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 25 2011, 07:25 PM) *

...The ground side of your spark has to get back to the coil and the coil grounds thru the body of the coil to ithe coil bracket...

Ah -- no.
Good theory, but no.
Porsche quit using battery/coil/condenser (Kettering) ignitions in the 6-cylinder engines with the move to Capacitive Discharge (CDI) in 1969.

The 'coil' in CD ignition is not a coil in the Kettering sense, it is a pulse transformer. It does not ground to the chassis. Both sides of the transformer are attached to the CDI. You can mount a CDI pulse transformer to an insulator and it'd work just fine.
jim912928
I mounted mine on the batter tray shelf that is near the firewall. I have a picture of it in this thread (it's the fourth picture down):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=117595&hl=

I also documented how to wire up a motronic 3.2l from gas tank, in the passenger compartment and in the engine compartment...go to this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116617&hl=

And here is the documented thread on how I plumbed the fuel lines from the gas tank, to the fuel pump, throught the tunnel and up to the engine:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116619&hl=

Jim
AZ914
Thanks Jim! That helps. I should even have some mounting holes as the brain was back there before.

Believe me, I've been through your threads a number of times... great stuff in there!
jim912928
I'll snap a picture later...but I also mounted a small box that housed the relay for the heater fan and the inline fuse for the same circuit.
Steve
I mounted mine on the firewall. Sorry about the fuzzy picture.
Click to view attachment
Steve
Here is the stock air cleaner mod. The adapter came from Pep Boys and I used L brackets from Home depot to move it over.
Click to view attachment
AZ914
Thanks Steve beerchug.gif

I've seen some guys rotate the MAF a bit inward, then put the extension between the MAF and the filter. I guess I will have to see what will work when its in the car. Although I have the stock 3.2 filter box, I may apt for something smaller (cone filter).
AZ914
Question #3: FUEL PUMP and LINES
I have some questions on the fuel plumbing. I've read some good threads, including JIM912928's thread, but I am using normal push on fuel adapters, not AN fittings.

Two main questions:
1. Ok, I have a stock 3.2 Fuel pump. The inlet takes the large (11 or 12mm) hose. I can use this from my 75. However, the tank feed takes the 8mm hose I believe. So:
* How do you go from 8mm to 11mm on the pump feed? I can use a stock 914 fuel filter to accomplish this (like on my 75) or is there another way? *

2. I had asked around a bit and the thought was that I should use 9.5mm supply line on the 3.2 so I ordered a stainless 9.5mm thru-body, and engine shelf line. HOWEVER, according to Patrick motorsports, the 3.2 takes an 8mm feed and the standard push-on fittings that mate to the 3.2 fuel filter and engine return lines are only 8mm (at the 14x1.5mm fitting size). So:
* should I try to get reducers etc to fit the 9.5mm line, or just go get a new 8mm lines and be done with it? *

Thanks all!
Jeffs9146
I had this issue on my 3.0L when I ran the SS lines.

I ended up changing the feed on the bottom of the fuel tank to an earlier tank feed! The later tanks had a smaller feed line than the earlier.

I still had to run an adaptor to get it all the way to the fuel pump size but you can purchase that with the SS lines.
AZ914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 15 2011, 04:45 PM) *

I had this issue on my 3.0L when I ran the SS lines.

I ended up changing the feed on the bottom of the fuel tank to an earlier tank feed! The later tanks had a smaller feed line than the earlier.

I still had to run an adaptor to get it all the way to the fuel pump size but you can purchase that with the SS lines.

Do you even think its worth running the 9.5mm line? If I end up reducing it to 8mm up at the filter-motor, whats the point? I guess to ensure there is constant pressure?
Jeffs9146
I asked the same question and decided to let the larger fuel line hold the fuel and the smaller feed the pressure! That means that unless I am going full out at 7k-8k rpms all the time I should be fine!? confused24.gif

My feed line is large from the tank then it goes larger to the pump with the early feed tube out of the tank. So, it is better than stock!
AZ914
Thanks Jeff... thinking about this more last night.. I see I can get stainless 'converters' thru Tangerine, or hose thru AA. If I keep the 9.5mm thru-body line, I need the following:
1. tank feed line convert to large fuel pump inlet (or larger feed)
2. fuel pump outlet (8mm) convert to 9.5mm line inlet
3. line out convert to 8mm fuel filter inlet (running the 911 K-21 stockish filter by the engine)

If I change it to an 8mm line, I can just worry about the fuel pump inlet. I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

Another option for the 'reducers' is to get dual end reducing barb fittings, if I can find them...
SLITS
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 16 2011, 05:56 AM) *

Thanks Jeff... thinking about this more last night.. I see I can get stainless 'converters' thru Tangerine, or hose thru AA. If I keep the 9.5mm thru-body line, I need the following:
1. tank feed line convert to large fuel pump inlet (or larger feed)
2. fuel pump outlet (8mm) convert to 9.5mm line inlet
3. line out convert to 8mm fuel filter inlet (running the 911 K-21 stockish filter by the engine)

If I change it to an 8mm line, I can just worry about the fuel pump inlet. I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

Another option for the 'reducers' is to get duel end reducing barb fittings, if I can find them...

Ace Hardware Stores or the like. Nylon reducers. On my first conversion, I used a 3/8" (8.5mm) to 1/2" (12.5 mm) reducer to mate to the fuel pump inlet. At least is wasn't Home Depot av-943.gif
AZ914
Thanks Ron... Will the nylon hold up to the modern fuel?
Jeffs9146
I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

I don't know about the later motors but the 3.0L has a fuel accumulator which would balance out the flow of fuel and allow the return fuel to be used if nessary!
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 16 2011, 08:54 AM) *

I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

I don't know about the later motors but the 3.0L has a fuel accumulator which would balance out the flow of fuel and allow the return fuel to be used if nessary!

Don't know what his 3.2 system operates at as I only go up to 3.0 CIS motors. The fuel accumulator is for dampening out pulses from the fuel pump. On the accumulators that have the third nipple at the bottom, it is to return fuel to the tank if the diaphragm ruptures instead of dumping fuel in the engine compartment like the early accumulators.

The nylon reducer didn't dissolve on me for the time that I had it (1.5 years).
AZ914
Thanks guys.. I'm not aware of a fuel accumulator on the motor so I don't think that is in play, just the regulator by the feed input on the motor.
JRust
This is going to just sweet! Looks like you are well on your way.I'll have to make sure I fly out for the next event so I can get a ride evilgrin.gif .

Whats your target date for having it roadworthy?
MoveQik
QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 16 2011, 12:41 PM) *

This is going to just sweet! Looks like you are well on your way.I'll have to make sure I fly out for the next event so I can get a ride evilgrin.gif .

Come down for our BBQ on the 26th. You can get a ride in it then. chowtime.gif driving.gif
AZ914

September 8th blink.gif

AZ914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 16 2011, 12:45 PM) *

Come down for our BBQ on the 26th. You can get a ride in it then. chowtime.gif driving.gif

That would be pushing it... I would at least like to get it started then if possible. You could sit in it though! biggrin.gif

Come on down anyways! Like Mike says, "It's nice here this time of year." happy11.gif
JRust
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 16 2011, 02:10 PM) *

Come on down anyways! Like Mike says, "It's nice here this time of year." happy11.gif

I actually will be in Phoenix Sept 16-20th. I get in friday night. Planning a round of golf saturday with a friend (only 2 of us so I have room for 2 more if anyone is interested). Sunday is kind of open until like 6 when I will be checking in at my hotel for work. I fly out tuesday night late. If you are around I'd love to get a ride in JLO then drooley.gif
MoveQik
So Jason showed up with the motor and tranny bolted in and 100% of every nut and bolt he needed finish the conversion.

Joe O'Brien gave some much needed direction and handled the heavy stuff. By the end of today.....

Looks like it turned out ok!

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.