Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jason's Rookie 3.2 Conversion Q & A Thread!, Question 5: THROTTLE CABLE
AZ914
post Jul 20 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #21

914 Dumbass

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(patssle @ Jul 20 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Then notch the tranny and bolt it up...easy.

Wait, what's this notching the tranny thing?

If you use the Mototronic from the 3.2, there is a speed sensor and a reference sensor (I think) attached to the motor that need to see the flywheel. (this is my non-technical jargon). The 901 doesn't have the notch to allow this to occur. Not a big deal. If you want a picture I can dig one up for you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jul 20 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

Oh ok. Thanks! Nah no picture needed, I'm going carbs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
736conver
post Jul 20 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

Here's a notched 901.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 25 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #24

914 Dumbass

Thanks for all the info on the clutch/flywheel setup. I went with the KEP Stage 2 kit to adapt to the 3.2 flywheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

DUMB QUESTION # 2: COIL MOUNTING

I've looked at tons of conversion threads and have come up empty. Where are you 3.2 conversion guys mounting the coil? I can't say I've seen a picture of one mounted... ?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 25 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #25

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Jul 25 2011, 03:01 PM) *
I've looked at tons of conversion threads and have come up empty. Where are you 3.2 conversion guys mounting the coil? I can't say I've seen a picture of one mounted... ?

Not a 3.2L but here's what i did. I mounted the coils to the side of the fan housing using a bracket.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1182814103.jpg)
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 25 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #26

914 Dumbass

Thx Andy.. Just a thought, anyone use the blower fan bracket over by where the oil filter would be? Wonder if it would interfere.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jul 25 2011, 05:25 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

I only have a 3.2L in the 914 in my dreams, so I have no practical experience but I try not to let such trivial things deter me from offering advise.

I would mount the coil to the engine. Every electrical circuit is a loop from the source to the consumer and back to the source. i.e. Battery to starter back to battery.If there is not a good connect anywhere along the way you loose electrical energy. The ground side of your spark has to get back to the coil and the coil grounds thru the body of the coil to ithe coil bracket and to what ever the bracket is mounted to and I figure the high energy of a spark should have as direct a route as possible.

Jim
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 25 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #28

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 25 2011, 07:25 PM) *

...The ground side of your spark has to get back to the coil and the coil grounds thru the body of the coil to ithe coil bracket...

Ah -- no.
Good theory, but no.
Porsche quit using battery/coil/condenser (Kettering) ignitions in the 6-cylinder engines with the move to Capacitive Discharge (CDI) in 1969.

The 'coil' in CD ignition is not a coil in the Kettering sense, it is a pulse transformer. It does not ground to the chassis. Both sides of the transformer are attached to the CDI. You can mount a CDI pulse transformer to an insulator and it'd work just fine.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jul 26 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I mounted mine on the batter tray shelf that is near the firewall. I have a picture of it in this thread (it's the fourth picture down):

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=117595&hl=

I also documented how to wire up a motronic 3.2l from gas tank, in the passenger compartment and in the engine compartment...go to this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116617&hl=

And here is the documented thread on how I plumbed the fuel lines from the gas tank, to the fuel pump, throught the tunnel and up to the engine:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116619&hl=

Jim
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 26 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #30

914 Dumbass

Thanks Jim! That helps. I should even have some mounting holes as the brain was back there before.

Believe me, I've been through your threads a number of times... great stuff in there!
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jul 26 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'll snap a picture later...but I also mounted a small box that housed the relay for the heater fan and the inline fuse for the same circuit.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 26 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I mounted mine on the firewall. Sorry about the fuzzy picture.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 26 2011, 01:53 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Here is the stock air cleaner mod. The adapter came from Pep Boys and I used L brackets from Home depot to move it over.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Jul 26 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #34

914 Dumbass

Thanks Steve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I've seen some guys rotate the MAF a bit inward, then put the extension between the MAF and the filter. I guess I will have to see what will work when its in the car. Although I have the stock 3.2 filter box, I may apt for something smaller (cone filter).
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Aug 15 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #35

914 Dumbass

Question #3: FUEL PUMP and LINES
I have some questions on the fuel plumbing. I've read some good threads, including JIM912928's thread, but I am using normal push on fuel adapters, not AN fittings.

Two main questions:
1. Ok, I have a stock 3.2 Fuel pump. The inlet takes the large (11 or 12mm) hose. I can use this from my 75. However, the tank feed takes the 8mm hose I believe. So:
* How do you go from 8mm to 11mm on the pump feed? I can use a stock 914 fuel filter to accomplish this (like on my 75) or is there another way? *

2. I had asked around a bit and the thought was that I should use 9.5mm supply line on the 3.2 so I ordered a stainless 9.5mm thru-body, and engine shelf line. HOWEVER, according to Patrick motorsports, the 3.2 takes an 8mm feed and the standard push-on fittings that mate to the 3.2 fuel filter and engine return lines are only 8mm (at the 14x1.5mm fitting size). So:
* should I try to get reducers etc to fit the 9.5mm line, or just go get a new 8mm lines and be done with it? *

Thanks all!
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 15 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #36

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I had this issue on my 3.0L when I ran the SS lines.

I ended up changing the feed on the bottom of the fuel tank to an earlier tank feed! The later tanks had a smaller feed line than the earlier.

I still had to run an adaptor to get it all the way to the fuel pump size but you can purchase that with the SS lines.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Aug 15 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #37

914 Dumbass

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Aug 15 2011, 04:45 PM) *

I had this issue on my 3.0L when I ran the SS lines.

I ended up changing the feed on the bottom of the fuel tank to an earlier tank feed! The later tanks had a smaller feed line than the earlier.

I still had to run an adaptor to get it all the way to the fuel pump size but you can purchase that with the SS lines.

Do you even think its worth running the 9.5mm line? If I end up reducing it to 8mm up at the filter-motor, whats the point? I guess to ensure there is constant pressure?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Aug 15 2011, 11:26 PM
Post #38

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I asked the same question and decided to let the larger fuel line hold the fuel and the smaller feed the pressure! That means that unless I am going full out at 7k-8k rpms all the time I should be fine!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

My feed line is large from the tank then it goes larger to the pump with the early feed tube out of the tank. So, it is better than stock!
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Aug 16 2011, 06:56 AM
Post #39

914 Dumbass

Thanks Jeff... thinking about this more last night.. I see I can get stainless 'converters' thru Tangerine, or hose thru AA. If I keep the 9.5mm thru-body line, I need the following:
1. tank feed line convert to large fuel pump inlet (or larger feed)
2. fuel pump outlet (8mm) convert to 9.5mm line inlet
3. line out convert to 8mm fuel filter inlet (running the 911 K-21 stockish filter by the engine)

If I change it to an 8mm line, I can just worry about the fuel pump inlet. I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

Another option for the 'reducers' is to get dual end reducing barb fittings, if I can find them...
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 16 2011, 07:03 AM
Post #40

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(AZ914 @ Aug 16 2011, 05:56 AM) *

Thanks Jeff... thinking about this more last night.. I see I can get stainless 'converters' thru Tangerine, or hose thru AA. If I keep the 9.5mm thru-body line, I need the following:
1. tank feed line convert to large fuel pump inlet (or larger feed)
2. fuel pump outlet (8mm) convert to 9.5mm line inlet
3. line out convert to 8mm fuel filter inlet (running the 911 K-21 stockish filter by the engine)

If I change it to an 8mm line, I can just worry about the fuel pump inlet. I just don't want to be starving the motor for fuel... ?

Another option for the 'reducers' is to get duel end reducing barb fittings, if I can find them...

Ace Hardware Stores or the like. Nylon reducers. On my first conversion, I used a 3/8" (8.5mm) to 1/2" (12.5 mm) reducer to mate to the fuel pump inlet. At least is wasn't Home Depot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:08 AM