Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shifter for Conversion cars, Upgrading shifter for 930 & other NON-901 trans cars
stewteral
post Jul 23 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Old Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached ImageHi All,

I've experiencing shifting problem for a long time with my modified 914 shifter and
shift-rod linkage for my V8 car with a 930 trans. Last time on track, it was giving me such a hard time making shifts that AndyS suggested I try something different.

Andy found that the Corvette C5 & C6 have a very slick shift module and could be used. The unit is much more precise than the original 914, is a very solid design and can be easily mounted.

I chased junk yards who either didn't have one or wanted $200. Next, I cruised the C5/C6 forums and found a smoking deal for $25. While I had a bit of luck, they should still be around for $50 or less. They become available when an owner pays big $$ for and aftermarket shifter.

The installation takes some work, but not rocket science:
-First I buit a tower to place the shifter where I wanted the knob to be positioned
-Adapted a couple to the C5 shifter
-Lastly, I have to adjust my shift-reversing rocker-arm ratio at the back of the trans since the 'Vette unit has a output rod throw of 1.1" fore-to-aft and the 930 box needs 2". Again not rocket science, just some fine-tuning.

Check out the pics....

Best,
Terry

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stewteral   Shifter for Conversion cars   Jul 23 2011, 06:39 PM
70-914nut   Great job Terry!   Jul 23 2011, 07:13 PM
pdlightning   Very nice. Let us know how everything works out wh...   Jul 24 2011, 11:36 PM
andys   Terry, Looking good! Andys   Jul 25 2011, 09:10 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:01 PM