Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter for Conversion cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stewteral
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachmentHi All,

I've experiencing shifting problem for a long time with my modified 914 shifter and
shift-rod linkage for my V8 car with a 930 trans. Last time on track, it was giving me such a hard time making shifts that AndyS suggested I try something different.

Andy found that the Corvette C5 & C6 have a very slick shift module and could be used. The unit is much more precise than the original 914, is a very solid design and can be easily mounted.

I chased junk yards who either didn't have one or wanted $200. Next, I cruised the C5/C6 forums and found a smoking deal for $25. While I had a bit of luck, they should still be around for $50 or less. They become available when an owner pays big $$ for and aftermarket shifter.

The installation takes some work, but not rocket science:
-First I buit a tower to place the shifter where I wanted the knob to be positioned
-Adapted a couple to the C5 shifter
-Lastly, I have to adjust my shift-reversing rocker-arm ratio at the back of the trans since the 'Vette unit has a output rod throw of 1.1" fore-to-aft and the 930 box needs 2". Again not rocket science, just some fine-tuning.

Check out the pics....

Best,
Terry

70-914nut
Great job Terry!
pdlightning
Very nice. Let us know how everything works out when completed and used for awhile.

I need to do the same thing and don't want to reinvent the wheel! I appreciate your pictures and topic posting
andys
Terry,

Looking good!

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.