Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much AC is normal in a charging circuit?
ArtechnikA
post Aug 3 2011, 07:54 AM
Post #1

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

Replaced a shorted-cell battery in a friend's truck yesterday and went looking for reasons why it might have failed (other than the usual team of Age and Heat).

Charging circuit was putting out a nominal 13.6VDC but also 30VAC (p-p, so roughly 20rms). This seems a lot but I checked 3 other vehicles and they _all_ had ~30VAC ripple - so I have to gather that's "normal".

Is it? I've never seen a spec for AC ripple. I know that diodes either short (bad scene - coil wires remain energized...) or open - causing lots of ripple - but what's 'normal' ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Aug 3 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

I havn't seen a spec either, but being there are no CAPS in the charging circuit, (other than the battery sort of) i would guess that to be normal. I do know Chrysler does kinda bump charge, using an AC spike to keep the battery from sulfating.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:23 AM