Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Timing problems, Advancing too soon?
Bartlett 914
post Aug 3 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have 2 distributors. A 250 and a 205A. Both are giving me issues. I am trying to adjust my timing and either the range of the advance is too small or I am advancing too fast. It seems I am fully advanced at about 2600 rpm. I should be at 3500 rpm. Is the maximum advance at 3500? Should there be some range beyond 3500? I have looked to see if something is stopping the advance plate and I don't see anything. This leaves the vacuum canister as a little suspect. I do have it disconnected. I am also using a Hot Spark igniter. Anyone see this before?

Car is a 2.0 D-jet configured for a 74
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 3 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Max centrifugal advance should be in the ~2800-3000 RPM range for 2.0s, depending on the distributor. Setting the timing at 3500 is just to make certain that the advance is all in.

The factory manuals (there should be a PDF around somewhere!) have graphs for several of the stock distributors, they basically look like two straight lines.

Summary of the info from the graphs (and from tables also in the manual) :
http://web.archive.org/web/20030803223329/...ch/distrib.html

--DD
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Aug 3 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Max centrifugal advance should be in the ~2800-3000 RPM range for 2.0s, depending on the distributor. Setting the timing at 3500 is just to make certain that the advance is all in.

The factory manuals (there should be a PDF around somewhere!) have graphs for several of the stock distributors, they basically look like two straight lines.

Summary of the info from the graphs (and from tables also in the manual) :
http://web.archive.org/web/20030803223329/...ch/distrib.html

--DD

Hi Dave

Thanks for the information. It looks like I have one bad distributor. I have one that is at full advance a little early but not as bad as the other one.

Mark
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:32 PM