Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I have 2 distributors. A 250 and a 205A. Both are giving me issues. I am trying to adjust my timing and either the range of the advance is too small or I am advancing too fast. It seems I am fully advanced at about 2600 rpm. I should be at 3500 rpm. Is the maximum advance at 3500? Should there be some range beyond 3500? I have looked to see if something is stopping the advance plate and I don't see anything. This leaves the vacuum canister as a little suspect. I do have it disconnected. I am also using a Hot Spark igniter. Anyone see this before?

Car is a 2.0 D-jet configured for a 74
Dave_Darling
Max centrifugal advance should be in the ~2800-3000 RPM range for 2.0s, depending on the distributor. Setting the timing at 3500 is just to make certain that the advance is all in.

The factory manuals (there should be a PDF around somewhere!) have graphs for several of the stock distributors, they basically look like two straight lines.

Summary of the info from the graphs (and from tables also in the manual) :
http://web.archive.org/web/20030803223329/...ch/distrib.html

--DD
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 3 2011, 05:40 PM) *

Max centrifugal advance should be in the ~2800-3000 RPM range for 2.0s, depending on the distributor. Setting the timing at 3500 is just to make certain that the advance is all in.

The factory manuals (there should be a PDF around somewhere!) have graphs for several of the stock distributors, they basically look like two straight lines.

Summary of the info from the graphs (and from tables also in the manual) :
http://web.archive.org/web/20030803223329/...ch/distrib.html

--DD

Hi Dave

Thanks for the information. It looks like I have one bad distributor. I have one that is at full advance a little early but not as bad as the other one.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.