Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will a 400 SBC work?, Pick and pull sightings..
skline
post Jul 2 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #21

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 1 2004, 11:21 PM)
i thought it was a 307 in the '70's??? the 305 might be an okay choice, i know the aftermarket supported it for a while when it was brand new.

you can pick up the radiator on Monday, 'cause no way are you going to find an all aluminum radiator at pick'n'pull......most conversions that have problems can trace it back to the cooling system in one way or another

personally, i like the idea that if a key component for my conversion gets damaged, i can make a call or place and order on the web and get a replacment in just a few days.

Yes, you are right, it was a 307 in the early 70's, I stand corrected. The 307 however, was a real POS and that is why it was only used for a few years. Of course the 305 wasnt used much either, but the Camaros with them were pretty popular.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #22

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Alright, Well, I checked my voice messages(forgot my notepad, so I called myself to take notes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

The "400" that dad was looking for an engine number (we where in a hurry.. so we couldnt find it) But it had a 2 barrel carb. Does this mean it was a 350 or 327 or smaller? We couldnt find the engine number, so we dont know if the owner switched the engine sometimes.. Dad said that they spraypainted the whole engine while in the car.. so that leaves to wonder. It was orange (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) so I didnt mind.

Any idea's?

Mueller. Well, alright, I'll talk to dad about it, but my guess is that its going to be a "Sure, Its your money, but I would do it" type thing.
I agree with you that I cant skimp on cooling. Its just that I wanted to see if I could find some spares. Oh.. Hmm mark down electric fans on my to find list...

Anything else? Oh ya, while we where there they had some porsche "Manhole covers" rims with tires 16in, where on a later model 924S that was out there. If there still there saturday, There mine... 70 bucks normal. 35 half off... Hmm can I pass that up? I think not...

lol Muahaha, im a bargain basement buyer. They might be on ebay pretty soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Andrew
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

I know mikes had stock one's But where there any that flowed really well? Cus Im getting some for free with the engine... (lady said everything that makes it run is included... YIppie!!)

Andrew
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 2 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #24

Born to Drive

Look on the smooth pad on the very fron tof the engine behind where the alternator would go, It should have a stamped number right in front of the head, you can call a Chevy dealer with this number and they can tell you exactly what it was in and how it was equipt. The casting number should be on the side about half way down, the link I sent you was for the casting numbers. Each piece in the engine tht is cast will have a number that can be looked up. Heads, crank, cam, block, intake and so on.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #25

Spooling.... Please wait

Ok, good, so I was looking at the right number when dad was looking for it on the block.. But Nooo... I didnt pay attention to it long enough to remember if it was the same as the vin...

That will help when it comes time to finding a good one..

I need like a book for decoding these things.. Hmm Barns and nobles.. here I come.
(unless one of you have a site.. Scott, that one was good and I'll print it out for when where "hunting", Also the links it had and such where good too. Thanks again for the link to it.)

Thanks

Andrew
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 2 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #26

Born to Drive

Oh, One more thing, those parts that the guy forgot to send, arrived today, so now you will have the transmission mounts to extend the mounts back.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #27

Spooling.... Please wait

Yipity do da! yipity eh! My oh my what a wonderful day! Plenty of v8's coming my way! yipity DO da, Yipety eh!

Cool.

Thanks
Andrew
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Jul 2 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,066

Andrew,

I'd pass on the 400 but if you have you mind set on it, spend a dime and call Scott at Renegade about flywheel/harmonic balancer issues. The overheating problems known with this engine would be another key factor in not using one in a 914 as well. Afterall, how many 400 small blocks have you seen in a converted 914/911? These make tremendous bottom end torque and not what you want attached to your 901 transaxle.

The 283, 302, 327 and 350 are what you want. 305s and 307s would not be my choice either but in a 914 they should still give good results.

Just my opinion,

John
+Quote Post
JWest
post Jul 2 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 97
Region Association: None

Early 70's had the 307 - it's a small bore 327. It would be cool to get one of those and a 350 - throw the 307 crank into the 350 block and use 327 pistons to make a large journal 327 - nice motor for a 914.

305s were MUCH more prevalent than Scott is making them seem, they were used in just about everything a small block was used in through the '80s. a 305 is a small bore 350 - lots of torque and good for emissions - that's why it was used instead of the 307 during that time.

You really need to buy a small block Chevy book - there were ranges of heads that were more prone to crack - all these differences in bore and stroke - the one piece seal that came out '86 (changing the flywheel). Read up and get the casting numbers so you know what you want and what to avoid.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jul 2 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #30

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(skline @ Jul 1 2004, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 1 2004, 11:02 PM)
The 400 SBC will work.  It is the same size as any other SBC.  You must have the crank damper and flywheel from the unit, as Scott said, it is externally balanced.

For identification look for two things:
1.)  The harmonic balancer will not be a round smooth circle.  It will have a relief cut in it on the circumference about 1/3 of the way around.
2.  The crank flange (where the flywheel/flexplate mounts will have a locating pin in it - the other do not and the flexplate has weights welded to it.

A 400 SBC bored 0.030" with early "double humper heads - small valve (63 cc combustion chambers), flat top pistons and an ISKY 270 hydraulic cam will produce an honest 350 - 400 hp and TONS of torque.

To mate the heads, you place a gasket on them and drill the steam relief holes in the head.

You need a good cooling system.

I know, I built  this combination for my 16' jet boat and was able to blow off big blocks with a single 600 cfm double pumper mounted on a replica Z28 manifold.

Stock they had 265 HP with a single 4 bbl.

Gee Toast, you sound like you have been hanging around Slits too much, you sound exactly like him. He is one of the few people that I know, that would even know that much info about that engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

When I get to thinking about raw horsepower, my voice has a tendency to deepen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
sanman
post Jul 2 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #31

Leaving California

Member No.: 2,219

some had 3 freeze plugs but not all.
the desired block casting # ended in 509 it had more nickel but it is still not the best engine for the 914 ( Cooling Problems). I would get it anyway they are getting harder to find. just my $.02
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 2 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #32

Born to Drive

I made another mistake, the casting number on the block is located behind the cylinder head on top in the back. I just noticed it on the 3 different year blocks I have sitting here in my garage. I have my 283, a 400, and a 350. The year is also stamped on it as well. The 400 I have was made 7 76. I cant even give it away, nobody wants them anymore.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #33

Spooling.... Please wait

Ok, if its the original 400 I will pass, Geezz guys dont have to tell me twice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif).
But if its a 350 or something of the like I think we'll go for it.
It WAS a 2 barrel carb, Would that make any difference i what engine it possibly is?
I think tonight we'll get a decoder book.

Dad said basicly everything he saw was a 305. There where loads of camero's there..

Speekin of heads, are there any that are really good that I should look out for?

Any manifolds to look for? Carbs that could yeild decent gas milage and good hp?

Where going to be there a looong time come saturday (dads thinking of pulling the engine from the 924 S as well.. he needs a 944 block.. Arg! Oh well saves us both money)

Would the electric fans from a 924 work?

Thanks all
Andrew
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 2 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #34

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

The hot setup would be a late 350 Vortec engine 880 block casting with either 062 or 906 heads, but they don't make a carbureted manifold for it that I am aware of. the heads flow better than any except for racing heads.

Next in line would be the LT1 350 - 638 casting with Aluminum heads - not great, but saves 50 lbs over cast iron heads.

3rd would be a late model 350 (1 piece rear seal) - generally 638 casting with 193 heads and roller cam, but these have a problem of cracking in the valley area.

If you are looking for an early 350 (2 piece rear seal), look for an 010 casting - it has more nickel content than any of the others.

And in case your wondering why I only use 3 digits on head and casting numbers - that's the way it is - no one uses the full number.

As far as the 283/305/307/327, they should be cheap as there is no market for them. We scrap them.

Oh BTW, any fans that are 12 volt will work as long as the fit the radiator your going to use - a fan is a fan - it blows or sucks air. Above 35 mph you shouldn't need a fan anyway as it restricts airflow thru the radiator - heh - just some racing bullshit.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jul 2 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 2 2004, 02:34 PM)
The hot setup would be a late 350 Vortec engine 880 block casting with either 062 or 906 heads, but they don't make a carbureted manifold for it that I am aware of.  the heads flow better than any except for racing heads.

I'm with you on the vortec being a good start. Edelbrock and others make carb. manifolds for this. The other advantage would be the Hyd. roller lifters. A good set of flat top pistons and a cam in the .480/.500 lift area will get you some real HP at a bargin.

Bob
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 2 2004, 07:33 PM
Post #36

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Look around for a motor that likes to rev 6 grand..

M
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #37

Spooling.... Please wait

I'll get what I can take. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Its do this now, Then spend my money and build up another motor, and buy a trani for later.

I want at least 200hp and at least 250tq (the tq number is easy.. but its way to low.. 2k or 2.5k)

Yes I do want a revvy motor.. especially for autox.

Andrew
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Jul 2 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #38

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey thanks for everyone's input. When I found the 400, I thought wow what a find! But, Then I remembered about the external balancing and further investigation confirms what everyone else says. Lot's of bad naughty torque means a broke transmission (and Son).

So we'll see what we can find in a nice mild 305 driven by a little old lady from Passidena.

Then later we can build up one of my BILs engine blocks. 427 SBC with NOS.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Wish us luck on our adventure. 2 engine pulls in one day. (I get a new block for my turbo, hopefully only the valves are toast). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 2 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #39

Spooling.... Please wait

Nos? HA ya right. I'd rather put in a T3 turbo and run 2psi all the time, then.. when I feel like it, flip a switch, and run 5psi And a nitrous plate serving as a separate fuel plate.

Muhahaha!!!

Take that 901!!!!

oh.. sorry

Im dreaming again
(PPPPSSSSSsssWHhhoshhhhh, ie turbo..)

Andrew
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Jul 3 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #40

neo life

Member No.: 159

Here's one: http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/34552302.html

Search here under sbc, chevy, motor, engine. You should get more previous history than one from the wrecking yard...

Felix
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:02 AM