Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing FI Parts
turnaround89
post Aug 5 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So im bringing my car back to fuel injection and have all the tins painted up really nice and the other misc parts all looking pretty good. However, i have no idea how really any of these parts get bolted to the motor. I have a 4 legged piece that i figured out how to mount, i assume this piece supports the oil bath air filter. I also know that the air distributor goes under this 4 legged piece, however, how does it stay? Is it just the intake boots that hold the thing in place?

Intake Runners
One of my intake runners has a number 1 on it, I assume these are side specific because one set looks like the pipes are bent closer to each other at the ends. Does the number 1 intake runner go on the cylinder 1 side or onto the opposite side?

Please help me, Thanks everyone

There will probably be many more questions when it comes to mounting all the individual sensors and what not.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 5 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #2

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 5 2011, 02:58 PM) *

So im bringing my car back to fuel injection and have all the tins painted up really nice and the other misc parts all looking pretty good. However, i have no idea how really any of these parts get bolted to the motor. I have a 4 legged piece that i figured out how to mount, i assume this piece supports the oil bath air filter. I also know that the air distributor goes under this 4 legged piece, however, how does it stay? Is it just the intake boots that hold the thing in place?

Intake Runners
One of my intake runners has a number 1 on it, I assume these are side specific because one set looks like the pipes are bent closer to each other at the ends. Does the number 1 intake runner go on the cylinder 1 side or onto the opposite side?

Please help me, Thanks everyone

There will probably be many more questions when it comes to mounting all the individual sensors and what not.

Good for you. Much more reliable. So, what year is your car. Is it the one in your signature? 1.7?
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 5 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #3

sorry, forgot the info about the motor. Its a 1.7L 1972. Can't guarantee all FI parts are 72, i have a lot of them, bought a package deal from a member here. I just found some pictures of other peoples cars that i went off of on how to mount certain items. However, off the air distributor is a 3 inch piece of metal with two screws in it. This piece faces towards the front of the motor, what gets mounted on this piece with these screws?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 5 2011, 04:36 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

The little round thing with four holes is called the plenum.
The largest hole (the fifth) faces the drivers side rear at an angle.

I cant recall, even though I have one, if there is a bolt underneath that holds it to the case, but I suspect there is at least one flange down there.
Hold it like I said, throttle body towards the drivers side rear and you can start there.

The Intake runners, the tubes that bolt to the heads are numbered....put the first one on the number one side and the other one goes on the other side.

There are plastic (phenolic) gaskets that go between the intake runners and the head to prevent heat transfer...you need those or nothing will fit.

Rich
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 5 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

andrew I took some pictures as I stripped my 73 1.7. Just had a look at them after several years and they really aren't very complete. Seems I was concentrating on wiring at the front of the engine. I can post them if you think they might be useful.
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 6 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #6

i have the plenum, intake runners, and the spacers all installed. have to get some bolts for the throttle body.

on the plenum there is an extra piece with two screws that are towards the front of the motor really low and close to the engine case, what mounts here?

ill post a picture tomorrow of the mount im talking about
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Aug 6 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57169

Looks through those pictures. You'll have to make sure you're looking at the correct ones, but they helped me figure out everything I've needed to get my fi up and running so far.
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Aug 6 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,418

Also the piece you're talking about is the mount for the auxiliary air regulator. See the attached picture.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 6 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #9

Thanks for the picture.

Something that kind of worries me, i have the intake boots on the runners and plenum, do i need any radiator clamps on these? In the picture there are none, do people put clamps on them or just leave them without?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 6 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 6 2011, 12:45 AM) *

Thanks for the picture.

Something that kind of worries me, i have the intake boots on the runners and plenum, do i need any radiator clamps on these? In the picture there are none, do people put clamps on them or just leave them without?

No clamps.. just without if you use newer hose.
+Quote Post
swl
post Aug 6 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 5 2011, 10:17 PM) *

i have the plenum, intake runners, and the spacers all installed. have to get some bolts for the throttle body.

on the plenum there is an extra piece with two screws that are towards the front of the motor really low and close to the engine case, what mounts here?

ill post a picture tomorrow of the mount im talking about

Sounds like you are down in the region of the AAR and cold start valve.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 6 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Do you have the oil bath or dry air filter setup?
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 8 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #13

I have an oil bath filter for the car, i cleaned it up because there was a ton of gunk inside. I haven't gotten to putting the filter setup on yet. Here's where i am so far, i know the colors are not stock, but my car is no where near stock so it doesn't matter. I just liked the color combo, as it will match the car once its painted

Attached Image

I am waiting on the fuel injector seals and new pushrod tube seals, as well as doing a valve adjustment. Lots left to do.
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 8 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #14

Just replaced the push rod tube seals, much easier than i expected, and the engine hasn't leaked a drop of oil while on the stand since i finished. It leaked a lot while up there beforehand. I have the fuel rail and fuel injector clamps painted and waiting for those to dry. Hopefully i can get the dizzy installed and a couple other components while im out there today.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 9 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #15

cant tell from your pic but it looks like your missing this piece of eng. tin & duct
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Aug 9 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #16

Yea, i definitely don't have that. What is it for and how critical is it to the FI system?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 9 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #17

it attaches to the oil bath air filter, its the pre-heater assembly. Not sure how crucial (if at all) it is to FI operation, it was just part of the "system" when it was new.
Basically it directs warm flowing air off of the heads to heat up the oil in the bath filter as I understand it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:25 AM