Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing FI Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
So im bringing my car back to fuel injection and have all the tins painted up really nice and the other misc parts all looking pretty good. However, i have no idea how really any of these parts get bolted to the motor. I have a 4 legged piece that i figured out how to mount, i assume this piece supports the oil bath air filter. I also know that the air distributor goes under this 4 legged piece, however, how does it stay? Is it just the intake boots that hold the thing in place?

Intake Runners
One of my intake runners has a number 1 on it, I assume these are side specific because one set looks like the pipes are bent closer to each other at the ends. Does the number 1 intake runner go on the cylinder 1 side or onto the opposite side?

Please help me, Thanks everyone

There will probably be many more questions when it comes to mounting all the individual sensors and what not.
76-914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 5 2011, 02:58 PM) *

So im bringing my car back to fuel injection and have all the tins painted up really nice and the other misc parts all looking pretty good. However, i have no idea how really any of these parts get bolted to the motor. I have a 4 legged piece that i figured out how to mount, i assume this piece supports the oil bath air filter. I also know that the air distributor goes under this 4 legged piece, however, how does it stay? Is it just the intake boots that hold the thing in place?

Intake Runners
One of my intake runners has a number 1 on it, I assume these are side specific because one set looks like the pipes are bent closer to each other at the ends. Does the number 1 intake runner go on the cylinder 1 side or onto the opposite side?

Please help me, Thanks everyone

There will probably be many more questions when it comes to mounting all the individual sensors and what not.

Good for you. Much more reliable. So, what year is your car. Is it the one in your signature? 1.7?
turnaround89
sorry, forgot the info about the motor. Its a 1.7L 1972. Can't guarantee all FI parts are 72, i have a lot of them, bought a package deal from a member here. I just found some pictures of other peoples cars that i went off of on how to mount certain items. However, off the air distributor is a 3 inch piece of metal with two screws in it. This piece faces towards the front of the motor, what gets mounted on this piece with these screws?
r_towle
The little round thing with four holes is called the plenum.
The largest hole (the fifth) faces the drivers side rear at an angle.

I cant recall, even though I have one, if there is a bolt underneath that holds it to the case, but I suspect there is at least one flange down there.
Hold it like I said, throttle body towards the drivers side rear and you can start there.

The Intake runners, the tubes that bolt to the heads are numbered....put the first one on the number one side and the other one goes on the other side.

There are plastic (phenolic) gaskets that go between the intake runners and the head to prevent heat transfer...you need those or nothing will fit.

Rich
swl
andrew I took some pictures as I stripped my 73 1.7. Just had a look at them after several years and they really aren't very complete. Seems I was concentrating on wiring at the front of the engine. I can post them if you think they might be useful.
turnaround89
i have the plenum, intake runners, and the spacers all installed. have to get some bolts for the throttle body.

on the plenum there is an extra piece with two screws that are towards the front of the motor really low and close to the engine case, what mounts here?

ill post a picture tomorrow of the mount im talking about
biggy72
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=57169

Looks through those pictures. You'll have to make sure you're looking at the correct ones, but they helped me figure out everything I've needed to get my fi up and running so far.
biggy72
Also the piece you're talking about is the mount for the auxiliary air regulator. See the attached picture.
turnaround89
Thanks for the picture.

Something that kind of worries me, i have the intake boots on the runners and plenum, do i need any radiator clamps on these? In the picture there are none, do people put clamps on them or just leave them without?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 6 2011, 12:45 AM) *

Thanks for the picture.

Something that kind of worries me, i have the intake boots on the runners and plenum, do i need any radiator clamps on these? In the picture there are none, do people put clamps on them or just leave them without?

No clamps.. just without if you use newer hose.
swl
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Aug 5 2011, 10:17 PM) *

i have the plenum, intake runners, and the spacers all installed. have to get some bolts for the throttle body.

on the plenum there is an extra piece with two screws that are towards the front of the motor really low and close to the engine case, what mounts here?

ill post a picture tomorrow of the mount im talking about

Sounds like you are down in the region of the AAR and cold start valve.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914werke
Do you have the oil bath or dry air filter setup?
turnaround89
I have an oil bath filter for the car, i cleaned it up because there was a ton of gunk inside. I haven't gotten to putting the filter setup on yet. Here's where i am so far, i know the colors are not stock, but my car is no where near stock so it doesn't matter. I just liked the color combo, as it will match the car once its painted

Click to view attachment

I am waiting on the fuel injector seals and new pushrod tube seals, as well as doing a valve adjustment. Lots left to do.
turnaround89
Just replaced the push rod tube seals, much easier than i expected, and the engine hasn't leaked a drop of oil while on the stand since i finished. It leaked a lot while up there beforehand. I have the fuel rail and fuel injector clamps painted and waiting for those to dry. Hopefully i can get the dizzy installed and a couple other components while im out there today.
914werke
cant tell from your pic but it looks like your missing this piece of eng. tin & duct
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
turnaround89
Yea, i definitely don't have that. What is it for and how critical is it to the FI system?
914werke
it attaches to the oil bath air filter, its the pre-heater assembly. Not sure how crucial (if at all) it is to FI operation, it was just part of the "system" when it was new.
Basically it directs warm flowing air off of the heads to heat up the oil in the bath filter as I understand it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.