Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welded 9x16 Fuchs, Your opinion please.
racerbvd
post Aug 11 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 226
Region Association: None

If I didn't have any wheels, I would be going for a set of 17" Rota Fuchs, $1,200 for a set of 7&9s and there are more tire choices. But then again, there are some people who are hard headed (like me, just check my blog & look at the parts for my GT clone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) ) and inist on having OEM parts..
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 12 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #42

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You know, I'm kinda the same way. In the past, I've been vocal about my complaints about how 'boring' or 'typical' Fuchs are, but then once I really decided upon them, I don't want knock offs very much.

Call me a purist, call me what you will. My thinking was that if they're going on my car, and I'm really trying for the whole enchilada, then ... well hell, while replicas look the shit, I just can't abide them.

Something about OEM forged wheels. They are typically lighter than most imitations out there, from my limited research. 'course I plan to commit a mild sacrilege and paint the centers something other than black ...
+Quote Post
Twise
post Aug 12 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 6,881
Region Association: Southern California

Thats kinda what I thought - Purist Thing.

I had a set of oems all lined up to buy, we have an account with automotion, so I had dave send me one wheel to check out. They looked same/same, so I spent the extra money on spherical mounts. I mean cmon 9x16's are just getting ridiculously expensive. Pure as the driven snow here, but sense = cents...

As far as weight goes, if I cared one wit about that fuchs would not even be in the equation.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Aug 12 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #44

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I think there is an error in thinking here.....Rim size and the proper tire vary depending on the series.....For instance you have been discussing a 245/50 series tire which in my opinion is too large. If you drop to the more appropriate 245/45 tire than the rim size should indeed be a 9" wheel

If you want "crisp handling" then use the widest recommended wheel.

In this case the widest for 245/45/16 would be a 9 inch wheel.....

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 13 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #45

Flat Out Driver

QUOTE(Twise @ Aug 12 2011, 04:27 PM) *

Thats kinda what I thought - Purist Thing.

I had a set of oems all lined up to buy, we have an account with automotion, so I had dave send me one wheel to check out. They looked same/same, so I spent the extra money on spherical mounts. I mean cmon 9x16's are just getting ridiculously expensive. Pure as the driven snow here, but sense = cents...

As far as weight goes, if I cared one wit about that fuchs would not even be in the equation.

I can't really argue with you on any one point of that. I guess I'm just gonna be bone-headed and start out with real fuchs and go from there. I might be getting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) by tire companies (I'm rather entertained by how many posts include tires that I don't particularly want and/or are track/slicks), but that's just something I want to deal with and learn from I guess. To each their own! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

EDIT: Jeez, coming after the last post it looks like I'm specifically knocking you, Paul. Not my intention, sorry. Teach me to read all posts before replying. Anyway, I was trying to say that if the best tire size is as wide as you can go for what the rim will accept, there's very few (besides the Fuzion that you quoted) that are available in that size. Note the high price and the "closeout" marking as well as "less than two" available. It's a concern with that size, so I'm looking more towards a slightly taller profile series (being the 245/50). Guess I'll just try 'em and learn.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Aug 13 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #46

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that welding aluminum can screw up the strength of the base material. Other than forging, not sure of the exact process used to form the wheels. Two ways to strengthen aluminum. One is forging which "work hardens" the aluminum, and the second is heat treat of the material to a T4 or T6. When you weld, the weld pool is moved back to T0 which is annealed dead soft. If the surrounding material is heat treated to T4, welding can move it back to T0. If the material is forged, the weld pool isn't. Adding the T4 or T6 heat treat after welding may strengthen the material -if the filler weld rod is capable of precipitation hardening.

What does this mean? T4 Heat treating 6061 moves base T0 from 18000 yield to 30,000 yield. T6 on 6060 alloy moves the yield to 42000.

Bottom line? Welded areas on aluminum wheels are weaker than the original forged and/or heat treated aluminum wheels. Are they strong enough? Don't know. Wrong process can result in big material change. Caveat emptor. Let us know how they work out.

Ken
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 4 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #47

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Off my 84 930 ten years ago, when I went to Fiske's , The car was sold and totalled by the new owner.

Available

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Sep 4 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #48

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 4 2011, 02:34 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Off my 84 930 ten years ago, when I went to Fiske's , The car was sold and totalled by the new owner.

Available

Those are 7&9x16?

How much?
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 4 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #49

914 Wizard

Yes, and Nelson and I made a deal, they will be at RRC.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 4 2011, 03:31 PM
Post #50

Flat Out Driver

We have a deal for those beauties! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) [EDIT: simul-post with above] Will bring the $ to RRC, thanks Jeff.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 4 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #51

914 Wizard

I have lottsa of Fuchs,Torque Thrust, Fuchs 3 piece,BBS 3 piece,Daisy wheels,Welded Fuchs, Tell me what you want and what you are willing to pay, Otherwise I will be on the Hoaders Show. No question, Specific request and I will let you know. Jeff
Jeff Gamaroth got my last hoard, 24ft trailer worth=stupid, but the wife was happy.

Thanks Jon, see you @ RRC
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Sep 4 2011, 03:41 PM
Post #52

Flat Out Driver

Just so there's no confusion, Joe was asking for my car he's building in FL. We all happened to be online at the same time, fortuitously. They're going to Series9 after we pick 'em up at RRC.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 4 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #53

914 Wizard

yes no confusion , I did email Joe as i needed to know today. thanks agian Jon & joe
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Sep 5 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 4 2011, 02:34 PM) *

I have lottsa of Fuchs,Torque Thrust, Fuchs 3 piece,BBS 3 piece,Daisy wheels,Welded Fuchs, Tell me what you want and what you are willing to pay, Otherwise I will be on the Hoaders Show. No question, Specific request and I will let you know. Jeff
Jeff Gamaroth got my last hoard, 24ft trailer worth=stupid, but the wife was happy.

Thanks Jon, see you @ RRC

Glad to know I'm not the only one, but I don't have a wife to bitch about my wheels to I'm holding on to my Fuchs..

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 5 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #55

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

LOL, Byron and I thought I had a wheel problem. I maxed-out at a mere 6 sets... now down to 3 finally.

A set of 17x9's and 10's may be in my future once my bank account recovers from the major trauma of this spring/summer.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 5 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #56

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Any Porsche Cup II wheels (17 inch) in either of your stashes?
And,cause I assume you guys know, do these fit with no issues on an 84 911 carerra?

I am shopping for a 17 inch wheel that bolts onto the carerra for winter tires...

Rich
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 10:47 PM