Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> purists need not apply, carbon fiber bits
mrbubblehead
post Aug 11 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #21

Twodollardoug

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

NICE.....did you make it yourself? how is it holding up to the sun?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Aug 11 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #22

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Another part I always wanted in carbon would be the holding plate that goes around the meters or gauges...I forgot the name of it...you know the black piece that screws in the dash and the 3 gauges sit in there....I would love that in carbon fiber.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Aug 11 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #23

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Aug 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Another part I always wanted in carbon would be the holding plate that goes around the meters or gauges...I forgot the name of it...you know the black piece that screws in the dash and the 3 gauges sit in there....I would love that in carbon fiber.

i thought of that too.....and it could be customizable (is that a word?) so you could put different size guages in it.

what about the board behind the pedals?

im designing a new system, so i cant make anything right now.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 12 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #24

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 11 2011, 08:04 PM) *

NICE.....did you make it yourself? how is it holding up to the sun?

Not my car (I wish!). That's the notorious 914 RS that my good friend Joe O'Brien made (you can just see him in the driver's seat). He did the RS himself, in his typical fashion (i.e. over the top, and perfect), but the decks came from Getty Design, I think. His handle here is Series9. He's making my 914 3.2L monster in FL right now. I will have CF bumpers as well, over Phoenix Red and black.

You'd have to ask him about the sun damage, if any. All polymers will break down when exposed to radiation, in particular UV (such as the 'normal' kind we get from the sun), but I don't know how much that's been affecting his car. I'd imagine some garage time and/or car covers would help in its longevity.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Aug 12 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #25

Twodollardoug

i use epoxy resin, with automotive clear coat...
+Quote Post
julian914
post Aug 12 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,525

Figured I would chime in on this one, the Polyester Surfboard resin works very well for CF and stands up very well to the elements. It has a small shrink percentage, but not enough to worry about when vacuum bagging the parts. I still use a clear coat, but its more for wetsanding/gloss.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Aug 12 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #27

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

I would be in for a CF pedal board as long as the cost was reasonable. If you make a CF pedal board a matching dead pedal and passenger side board would look sweeeeet.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 12 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 11 2011, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Twise @ Aug 11 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Carbon makes cars faster. Go for it man - We need more parts out there. Options are great to have...

your right....the weight savings and strength of the cf is amazing. bumpers, ooooh what about a targa top. i bet that thing weighs 25 lbs. in carbon, i bet 5 lbs at the most. im not even a big fan of the cf "LOOK". i just like what it has to offer....

Ever held a stripped CF roof?

They are 10 lbs probably... All that hardware and seals and such REALLY adds up fast.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Aug 12 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #29

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Bill Charon who appears here sometimes made a custom CF targa top for his AX 914. He planned to bolt it in with the hopes it added torsional stiffness to the entire car. Not sure what the final results are....but I know he made one!

I have front and rear lids in CF on my black 914 already, and want door panels and LE front valence!!

I have some currogated plastic sheets I was intending to cut into door panels and then lay CF laminate on, to save $$$. They will still be very light. I also plan to "wrap" my steering wheel adapter/extender with laminate.

My wish list is to have door panels, lower dash cover, bumpers, LE front and....fog light surround!

A super cool + easy one would be the fog light surround. Do a smooth front face with a recessed tube or cone. Make it match the size of the upgrade Pilot lights like on Camp 914. Please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
julian914
post Aug 13 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 12,525

The light surround idea is one I was also kind of toying with. My idea had a little twist though. Idea 1 is a completely smooth front bumper in CF; no openings. Idea 2 is a solid CF front with funneled openings for the lights; surrounds not detachable. I just gotta get back from Iraq and start building molds again.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:12 AM