Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Targa Top refinishing, Removal of old stuff
Allan
post Jul 7 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Anyone know the best way to remove the texture paint from a targa top? I want to refinish mine. Also how to remove the inside headliner. Is there anyplace to get the rubber seals at a reasonable price?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 7 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Born to Drive

Group: Members
Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 7 2004, 11:14 AM)
Anyone know the best way to remove the texture paint from a targa top?  I want to refinish mine.  Also how to remove the inside headliner.  Is there anyplace to get the rubber seals at a reasonable price?

Take it slow on removing the texture, its easy to go past it. Use an inline sander with fine paper to keep it from making it uneven, if you go through the gelcoat layer and glass starts showing, use bondo to cover the exposed glass and then smooth it out. The drip rails need to be done by hand, I have seen people fill them but IMO it doesnt look good and will only crack in time and look like caca.

The inside headliner just pulls off, remove the front and back rails and it will come right out, clean it up with some laquer thinner or acetone and then you can glue the new one in.

There are a few different places to get the rubber, check the ads on this board or Pelican Parts sells them among others.

Good luck, make it nice and above all, drive it!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:46 PM