Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top refinishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Anyone know the best way to remove the texture paint from a targa top? I want to refinish mine. Also how to remove the inside headliner. Is there anyplace to get the rubber seals at a reasonable price?
skline
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 7 2004, 11:14 AM)
Anyone know the best way to remove the texture paint from a targa top?  I want to refinish mine.  Also how to remove the inside headliner.  Is there anyplace to get the rubber seals at a reasonable price?

Take it slow on removing the texture, its easy to go past it. Use an inline sander with fine paper to keep it from making it uneven, if you go through the gelcoat layer and glass starts showing, use bondo to cover the exposed glass and then smooth it out. The drip rails need to be done by hand, I have seen people fill them but IMO it doesnt look good and will only crack in time and look like caca.

The inside headliner just pulls off, remove the front and back rails and it will come right out, clean it up with some laquer thinner or acetone and then you can glue the new one in.

There are a few different places to get the rubber, check the ads on this board or Pelican Parts sells them among others.

Good luck, make it nice and above all, drive it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.