Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starters?, Rock and a hard place
Razorbobsr
post Aug 20 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,813
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 19 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Why has no one suggested the "hot start kit" page 128 in the AA book and page 53 in the Performance catalog. I've been using these for 30 years in VWs and 914s . Simple and cheap insurance. easy install.
Allready have hot start kit installed. Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 20 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #22

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

I bought a high-torque "modern" starter for the 911 since I don't really care about originality in this regard. And they're lighter, so I figure it's something the factory wouldda done to an RSR if they'd had the option in 1973.

If you prefer to stay 'original Bosch' the 1,5-HP starters as used in the later cars will fit. (Our originals are 0,7 or 0,8 HP). They _are_ heavier, and only a little newer. But they do get replaced, usually by people going to the modern 'hi-torque' starter (which will sound different).

But IMO, you have a solenoid, not starter, issue. These can be cleaned and regreased. Use a good quality synthetic grease like Mobil-1 or Royal Purple.
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Aug 20 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #23

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 20 2011, 08:15 AM) *

I bought a high-torque "modern" starter for the 911 since I don't really care about originality in this regard. And they're lighter, so I figure it's something the factory wouldda done to an RSR if they'd had the option in 1973.

If you prefer to stay 'original Bosch' the 1,5-HP starters as used in the later cars will fit. (Our originals are 0,7 or 0,8 HP). They _are_ heavier, and only a little newer. But they do get replaced, usually by people going to the modern 'hi-torque' starter (which will sound different).

But IMO, you have a solenoid, not starter, issue. These can be cleaned and regreased. Use a good quality synthetic grease like Mobil-1 or Royal Purple.
I agree about the solenoid, no clicking, or engagement of any kind when hot.
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Aug 20 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *

I've got a started off mine you can come get if you want to make the drive to Lafayette.
Are u going to the 914 party in Portage In? Bob 812-232-4777
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Aug 20 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #25

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 19 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Why has no one suggested the "hot start kit" page 128 in the AA book and page 53 in the Performance catalog. I've been using these for 30 years in VWs and 914s . Simple and cheap insurance. easy install.

...I've used those in the past....I like it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(band-aid or not)& it's not,if other things are fine!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Aug 20 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

I also favor maintenance of the starter and solenoid. Be careful of using too much grease on the solenoid plunger. It will bake due to the constant heat and you will have the sticking solenoid again. A light coating of silicone high temp and then gently wiping excess off will suffice. Clean inside of the plunger bore also. While in there, clean and lube the plunger connections to the bendix and clean the electrical contacts.
Tom
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Aug 20 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 9,147

If the heat up there is the true issue, can you put a heat shield on it?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 20 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #28

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

(band-aid or not)& it's not

Not only is it a band aid, this already has one and it isn't solving the problem. In fact, it could be the cause.

A heat shield is another band aid.

It needs a clean solenoid, not something else added that tries to compensate for a gunky solenoid.

Jeez, I'm feeling almost as Krusty as the Cap'n.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Aug 20 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #29

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 19 2011, 01:53 PM) *

If that link expires, search ebay for "porsche 914 mini starter" and look for vendor "hiperformanceofamerica"
http://stores.ebay.com/hiperformanceofamerica

I had hot start issues for years until I switched to a high torque starter from this vendor. I've put them in 3 type 4's and they perform wonderfully. I would never consider a reman Bosch based on my experience with them and would highly recommend the high torque. This vendor has some of the best prices around and is great to deal with. I highly recommend him.

My previous starters had a hot-start kit installed. If you have a heat related starter/solenoid problem the hot-start kit won't help in the long run. I've been very satisfied with the high-torque starter solution. I've run it across the Mohave desert to WCR 2009 and go up to RRC each year and never have a starter problem anymore.
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Aug 21 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(ThinAir @ Aug 20 2011, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 19 2011, 01:53 PM) *

If that link expires, search ebay for "porsche 914 mini starter" and look for vendor "hiperformanceofamerica"
http://stores.ebay.com/hiperformanceofamerica

I had hot start issues for years until I switched to a high torque starter from this vendor. I've put them in 3 type 4's and they perform wonderfully. I would never consider a reman Bosch based on my experience with them and would highly recommend the high torque. This vendor has some of the best prices around and is great to deal with. I highly recommend him.

My previous starters had a hot-start kit installed. If you have a heat related starter/solenoid problem the hot-start kit won't help in the long run. I've been very satisfied with the high-torque starter solution. I've run it across the Mohave desert to WCR 2009 and go up to RRC each year and never have a starter problem anymore.
Thanks for the info, ordered starter ! Bob
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Aug 21 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #31

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 20 2011, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *

I've got a started off mine you can come get if you want to make the drive to Lafayette.
Are u going to the 914 party in Portage In? Bob 812-232-4777

Sorry I didnt get your reply until too late! I plan on being there, hopefully in calypso.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:17 AM