Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Razorbobsr
I have a starter that a........ Go/ No go/ work history. I have a long fall trip planned [1000 miles] and dont much care to have the wife do any pushing[as she has in the past] as this has been a bone of contention!!!!!!!! I would like to keep the original starter[that does work, sometimes] but would like to know your thoughts on going to a hi-touque starter. I have used them on my hi horsepower british cars. Bob
Drums66
.....1st clean all the green off all contacts:idea:
bye1.gif flag.gif shades.gif
r_towle
I rebuild the original starters at a local shop that does just that.
I have had poor luck with ones that are being rebuilt elsewhere.

Aside from that...learn to park on hills.

rich
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Aug 18 2011, 05:54 PM) *

.....1st clean all the green off all contacts:idea:
bye1.gif flag.gif shades.gif

Done! Starter spins, does NOT always ingage flewheel. Bob
Rand
Sounds like the solenoid is gunky.
Drums66
.......Now tap starter with a hammer a few times
and try it again idea.gif
shades.gif flag.gif bye1.gif
stugray
Not a Hijack, still on topic...

I just tried to bench test my starter using a battery charger.
It didnt go so well, which doesnt surprise me since a charger cannot put out as much current as a battery.

Anyway:
1- It didnt spin very well.
2 - the solenoid kicked out but didnt pull back in & required significant effort to PUSH it back in.

#1 doenst worry me until I try it with a fully charged battery, but regardless of that, the solenoid should have pulled back in by itself if it kicked out.

Can I take this thing apart to re-lube the solenoid or is it sealed?
Where would I send this starter if I want it rebuilt?

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
Just stop fooling around and order up a "Genuine Bosch Remanufactured" SR 17X. Hey, it's your wife, and it's your long anticipated trip. Don't screw it up.

The Cap'n
SLITS
Call a local VW shop and see if they can acquire a new solenoid. Damn near as expensive as a rebuilt starter.

Bendix should have pulled back in when power was released.

Sorry Cap'n. Your idea is better.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 18 2011, 07:59 PM) *

Just stop fooling around and order up a "Genuine Bosch Remanufactured" SR 17X. Hey, it's your wife, and it's your long anticipated trip. Don't screw it up.

The Cap'n
LOL ok. Worth keeping the old one as a back up? Where do I clean and lube the old one, just in case and for my own info. Bob
r_towle
inside the solenoid on the shaft that the fork runs along.

Rich
kerensky
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 18 2011, 03:59 PM) *
Just stop fooling around and order up a "Genuine Bosch Remanufactured" SR 17X.
Great advice. I'm going to relate a story here. Back in 1986, when I was daily driving my 914, I had a CV joint come apart on acceleration. The CV hit the starter so hard it bent the starter casing and cracked the transaxle housing. Repairs were made and a new Bosch starter installed. Over the next few months the battery kept draining. Turned out the brand-new starter had an internal short and was draining the battery. It took months to figure this out, and frustration and complications led me to eventually store my beloved 914 in favor of more 'reliable' transportation. 25 years later, she's still waiting patiently.

Don't let this be you! smile.gif
SGB
piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 18 2011, 06:59 PM) *

The Cap'n

Hehehehe! I'm gonna dissagree with the Cap'n! This is dangerous...

but fun.

Remans are crap. The last three "Genuine Bosch remanufactured" I've had were horrible. Diodes failed. Ground lugs spun off.

If there was a local rebuilder, maybe, but theses Boch-ican rebuilds are consistantly poorly done.

I've had the same high torque starter now longer than at least 2 rebuilt SR17s.

wavey.gif

just my 12 volts worth...
FourBlades
New high torque starter has worked great for me for last year.

John
stugray
recommendations on the best place to get a high torque starter?
And a model # would be good.

Do they weight more or less?

Stu
Drums66
.....Do what your wallet says...it speaks loud!!LOL
( just trying to salvage what you have if possible)
bye1.gif
Rand
QUOTE(stugray @ Aug 19 2011, 12:59 PM) *

recommendations on the best place to get a high torque starter?
And a model # would be good.

Do they weight more or less?

Stu

Lighter, smaller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-911...=item4aad41049f

If that link expires, search ebay for "porsche 914 mini starter" and look for vendor "hiperformanceofamerica"
http://stores.ebay.com/hiperformanceofamerica
rnellums
I've got a started off mine you can come get if you want to make the drive to Lafayette.
Al Meredith
Why has no one suggested the "hot start kit" page 128 in the AA book and page 53 in the Performance catalog. I've been using these for 30 years in VWs and 914s . Simple and cheap insurance. easy install.
Rand
hot start band aid?

Sigh, ok, I give, it's not a horrible idea. You can pick up a Ford relay and get it done much cheaper. Offloading some current from the starter switch isn't a bad idea. It's just that often these patches cover other problems. Hot start kit, and vapor lock, both make me cringe.

But do what works for you.

For what it's worth, I've had fine luck taking care of the stock parts. After >30 years they need some maintenance. But if replacing parts, I'd rather replace components with newer modern units than adding extra patchy stuff.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 19 2011, 09:23 PM) *

Why has no one suggested the "hot start kit" page 128 in the AA book and page 53 in the Performance catalog. I've been using these for 30 years in VWs and 914s . Simple and cheap insurance. easy install.
Allready have hot start kit installed. Bob
ArtechnikA
I bought a high-torque "modern" starter for the 911 since I don't really care about originality in this regard. And they're lighter, so I figure it's something the factory wouldda done to an RSR if they'd had the option in 1973.

If you prefer to stay 'original Bosch' the 1,5-HP starters as used in the later cars will fit. (Our originals are 0,7 or 0,8 HP). They _are_ heavier, and only a little newer. But they do get replaced, usually by people going to the modern 'hi-torque' starter (which will sound different).

But IMO, you have a solenoid, not starter, issue. These can be cleaned and regreased. Use a good quality synthetic grease like Mobil-1 or Royal Purple.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 20 2011, 08:15 AM) *

I bought a high-torque "modern" starter for the 911 since I don't really care about originality in this regard. And they're lighter, so I figure it's something the factory wouldda done to an RSR if they'd had the option in 1973.

If you prefer to stay 'original Bosch' the 1,5-HP starters as used in the later cars will fit. (Our originals are 0,7 or 0,8 HP). They _are_ heavier, and only a little newer. But they do get replaced, usually by people going to the modern 'hi-torque' starter (which will sound different).

But IMO, you have a solenoid, not starter, issue. These can be cleaned and regreased. Use a good quality synthetic grease like Mobil-1 or Royal Purple.
I agree about the solenoid, no clicking, or engagement of any kind when hot.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *

I've got a started off mine you can come get if you want to make the drive to Lafayette.
Are u going to the 914 party in Portage In? Bob 812-232-4777
Drums66
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Aug 19 2011, 06:23 PM) *

...I've used those in the past....I like it!! idea.gif
(band-aid or not)& it's not,if other things are fine!) idea.gif
Tom
I also favor maintenance of the starter and solenoid. Be careful of using too much grease on the solenoid plunger. It will bake due to the constant heat and you will have the sticking solenoid again. A light coating of silicone high temp and then gently wiping excess off will suffice. Clean inside of the plunger bore also. While in there, clean and lube the plunger connections to the bendix and clean the electrical contacts.
Tom
monkeyboy
If the heat up there is the true issue, can you put a heat shield on it?
Rand
(band-aid or not)& it's not

Not only is it a band aid, this already has one and it isn't solving the problem. In fact, it could be the cause.

A heat shield is another band aid.

It needs a clean solenoid, not something else added that tries to compensate for a gunky solenoid.

Jeez, I'm feeling almost as Krusty as the Cap'n.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 19 2011, 01:53 PM) *

If that link expires, search ebay for "porsche 914 mini starter" and look for vendor "hiperformanceofamerica"

I had hot start issues for years until I switched to a high torque starter from this vendor. I've put them in 3 type 4's and they perform wonderfully. I would never consider a reman Bosch based on my experience with them and would highly recommend the high torque. This vendor has some of the best prices around and is great to deal with. I highly recommend him.

My previous starters had a hot-start kit installed. If you have a heat related starter/solenoid problem the hot-start kit won't help in the long run. I've been very satisfied with the high-torque starter solution. I've run it across the Mohave desert to WCR 2009 and go up to RRC each year and never have a starter problem anymore.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Aug 20 2011, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 19 2011, 01:53 PM) *

I had hot start issues for years until I switched to a high torque starter from this vendor. I've put them in 3 type 4's and they perform wonderfully. I would never consider a reman Bosch based on my experience with them and would highly recommend the high torque. This vendor has some of the best prices around and is great to deal with. I highly recommend him.

My previous starters had a hot-start kit installed. If you have a heat related starter/solenoid problem the hot-start kit won't help in the long run. I've been very satisfied with the high-torque starter solution. I've run it across the Mohave desert to WCR 2009 and go up to RRC each year and never have a starter problem anymore.
Thanks for the info, ordered starter ! Bob
rnellums
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Aug 20 2011, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *

Are u going to the 914 party in Portage In? Bob 812-232-4777

Sorry I didnt get your reply until too late! I plan on being there, hopefully in calypso.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.