Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> paint info needed, what is the best primer to use
tdgray
post Jul 14 2004, 05:44 AM
Post #21

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Group: Members
Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TBrads914/6 @ Jul 13 2004, 04:33 PM)
I've never baked filler and good fillers have little air and don't shrink. Besides, if you work the metal correctly, you should have a very thin coat to finish with.

Doesn't have anything to do with air.

Fillers shrink as they dry, it's a fact. All of 'em. Just some more than others.

I do agree with your comment on sticking with one system though. Certain brands do not interact well. The most specific example of this that I can think of is when GM in the late eighties - early ninties mixed different clears and base coats and had delamination problems, although they blamed the paint companies for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TBrads914/6
post Jul 14 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,963

Most of their problem came from Top Coating over their E-Coat and not using Primer to cut cost (which had their vendors blessings). The problem is that the E-Coat is great for rust protection but UV rays tear it up. The top coat didn't give enough UV protection and the E-Coat for lack of better word started to get "chalky". That caused the problem with the top coat delaminating and flaking off. They learned quickly that the primer coating over the E-Coat (35 microns +) protected it from the UV rays.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:58 AM