Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery Tender - if it's good enough for them...
skaufmann
post Aug 29 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #1

Blissfully Ignorant

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,123
Region Association: Southern California

Just a passing tip.

I bought a Battery Tender a couple weeks ago (easily found on Amazon) to keep my battery topped while I troubleshoot my alternator/wiring issue. Just this weekend while in LA, I took our New Zealander car nut guest to the Peterson Automotive Museum.

Besides a Bugatti Veyron, Elvis' Yellow Pantera he shot on multiple occasions because it wouldn't start (Fords...), and an elusive '88 Porsche 959 in the picture below, every car was hooked up to a Battery Tender hiding under each car. I was already very happy with the charger (price and reviews) so when I saw these cars all hooked up to one, I thought to myself that it was good enough for me.

Anyone in the market for one should definitely consider it. It's not full of bells and whistles, it doesn't even have a button or knob. It's a set-and-forget type of charger. Great for the non-daily drivers or for that battery sitting in you garage. It's very affordable too.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 26)
osvolant
post Sep 1 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 10,748
Region Association: South East States

Been using a Battery Tender for the last 2-1/2 years on my 914, ever since I bought it. I have also used it to "rejuvenate" an old battery on one of my other cars, after adding water.

Aviation Consumer, a sort of Consumer Reports publication for general aviation, tested float chargers for aircraft a few years ago. Battery Tender and Battery Minder were the only ones that maintained the proper float voltages for 12V wet cell aircraft batteries- basically the same as car batteries but much more expensive, of course.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 1 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #22

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(underthetire @ Aug 30 2011, 11:48 AM) *

I just buy the Harbor Freight "float Charger" when they go on sale for about 5 bucks. Been using them for years now, they work really well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-bat...rger-42292.html

Funny timing. I just got the HF promo email and guess what coupon is included?.......

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.harborfreight.com-3573-1314932457.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 1 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

There you go! I add a molex connector from radio shack to the end and mating one on the dirt bikes. Abot a buck and a half, but I don't have to remove covers to get to the battery.
+Quote Post
PlaysWithCars
post Sep 3 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,323
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

For what it's worth. I used to use the inexpensive Harbor Freight units too until one fried a battery and boiled it over; lots of work to clean up. Doing the post mortim on it, I found it was putting out 18V. Got me thinking about the others I was using. Out of 3 of them, 2 were way too high for voltage.

I've since invested in a Battery Minder unit and love it. I got one that can charge AGM as well as wet cell batteries and does desulfation while in float mode (fantastic for recovering batteries). Everytime I've checked it voltage is right on.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive tools that do the job, but they also have some cheap tools. I'm staying away from there float chargers since my experience.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Sep 5 2011, 07:28 AM
Post #25

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

Sorry, totally off topic but a silver Lamborghini Countach.....I can't remember seeing them in those colors, looks incredible...the 959 looks sweet too...always had a thing for the Countach cars...someday I would like to check out that museum if its widely open to the public.
+Quote Post
Rod
post Sep 5 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

Oh come on - buy the right one!!!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i62.photobucket.com-8526-1315258180.1.jpg)

Did Porsche ever do a motorbike????? It's a Ctek 3600 rebranded by Porsche.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 5 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #27

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Sep 3 2011, 10:44 PM) *

For what it's worth. I used to use the inexpensive Harbor Freight units too until one fried a battery and boiled it over; lots of work to clean up. Doing the post mortim on it, I found it was putting out 18V. Got me thinking about the others I was using. Out of 3 of them, 2 were way too high for voltage.

I've since invested in a Battery Minder unit and love it. I got one that can charge AGM as well as wet cell batteries and does desulfation while in float mode (fantastic for recovering batteries). Everytime I've checked it voltage is right on.

Harbor Freight has some inexpensive tools that do the job, but they also have some cheap tools. I'm staying away from there float chargers since my experience.

I hear you.
I've had no trouble over the past couple of winters. If it had been putting out too much voltage I would have exchanged it.
Point: If you buy a HF unit, check it with a meter. If it is within spec, you save a ton of money. If not, exchange it for free.
If money is no object and/or you don't want to see if it is in spec for yourself, buy the brand name.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:34 AM