Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> toasted my motor w/ the new clutch and stuff..;o, I am depressed...
post Jul 13 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 703

Instead of "speed shifting", why not improve your equipment and methods? Little tricks like having your clutch grab way up high by adjusting where the pedal engages is a nice one. Imagine you have 20 or so shifts to complete on a long track like Sebring or Watkins Glen. A tenthof a second less time every single shift becuase the engagement point is higher can save you 2 SECONDS!!!!! The pro drivers have this down pat first because of skill, but second because the equipment supports it. Or working on your heel-toe so that shifts are nice and smooth with minimal wear on the engine and tranny. How about working on braking points to eek that tenth or so on every corner? The thing about "speed" shifting is that it often doesnt equate to "smooth" shifting, and Bill probably has that down cold. On the equipment side, enough cannot be said for well designed, well maintained equipment.

Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jul 13 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #22

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Hey Guys, wasn't saying you can't shift fast - experience gets you there - actually experience in YOUR car not someone elses. It's the newbie "slamming shift" I was talking about - Ya know - the gorilla grip on the stick and side stepping the clutch.

No, I didn't have a beer between shifts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) either and I have toasted a couple of engines/trannys in the process.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 13 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'm thinking some people are getting speed shifting and shifting @ speed confused with each other (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

unless you have the gates 1 foot apart, it can happen in the heat of things or just if you have a brain fart and "forget" what gear or for me, what car I am driving since my P-cars have totally different patterns.
+Quote Post
DrifterJay
post Jul 14 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #24

I break stuff...

Member No.: 737

hey guys, hows it going...thanx for the support....I appreciate your offer on the longblock...will give it thought...still feel like a bastard for getting that clutch from you...and Scott for the towing...will take my time on the engine...maybe source some clean heads for cheap...well see....might be back in socal this weekend...not sure yet...if I am, I can probably help with Joes car if you want Scott...will talk to you all soon...thank you all for being there for me and my beater (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Jared Villanueva
+Quote Post
street legal go-kart
post Jul 14 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #25

Miss Mari's slave

Member No.: 490

Buy a used engine from a club member,drive the car and save the big ducats for a fix on your big moter.
Also until you pull the heads don't think worst case. When my bro inlaw was racing buggies we regularly just pulled just jugg and heads on Type one 1600cc stock class moters that had been just tortured . Put new stuff on the lower end and run the same 3 bottom ends for 2-3 years without tear downs. 1600cc Desert buggies is one of the most demanding to run with drivers running 5-600 rpm over red line constantly.
good luck

JT
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 14 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #26

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Well....I have an extra head....rebuilt. Have to get some $$ for it....but I have some FREE flywheels and clutches....
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 14 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #27

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 13 2004, 08:52 AM)
Hey Guys, wasn't saying you can't shift fast - experience gets you there - actually experience in YOUR car not someone elses. It's the newbie "slamming shift" I was talking about - Ya know - the gorilla grip on the stick and side stepping the clutch.

No, I didn't have a beer between shifts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) either and I have toasted a couple of engines/trannys in the process.

Porsche transmission's have been the best teacher for patience....you simply can't hurry them.....kind of like my wife and kids... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:19 PM