Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Compressing fuel flooded cylinders, ...how bad is it??
givory
post Apr 24 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 125

I enjoy this list daily, but it seems my only contribution is to confess to another stupid rookie stunt..

On a Weber equiped /6 with open carb horns, I managed to try and start the car [with 4lbs of fuel pump pressure] forgetting that I had left my nearly air-tight covers over the open carb horns. Some [all?] of the cylinders immediately filled with fuel as the engine was turning [20-30 secs of trying] - and I did hear a few good knocks before shutting down. After realizing my mistake, and drying things out, the engine seemed to run fine. Question is: knowing at least that fuel doesn't compress, how screwed am I? Or could could I get off lightly? Does this bend rods, etc.? Also I assume there's now gas in my just changed 13L of Mobil1. Do I have to throw that out?
With my first track day tomorrow, if the judgement is bad, just (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) me now!
Thanks,
Gavin Ivory
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
J P Stein
post Apr 24 2003, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

My WAG would be that you're OK.

A serious amount of fuel would hydro-lock the motor...it would stop the started motor. Where guys get in trouble is when they try to bump start a hydro-locked motor by rolling it down a hill or sumthin'.

A check on the oil is in order, tho. Most of the "spare" fuel prolly went out of the exhaust pipe.
Since you have since ran the motor and it didn't blow
the muffler off......
Do a sniff test of the oil. Carbed 911 motors always put some gas in the oil. If it smells *very* strong of gas.....60-70 bucks of oil (I use M1 also) is shot. Just a bit will boil out.

This is one of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) situations.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 10:06 AM