Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compressing fuel flooded cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
givory
I enjoy this list daily, but it seems my only contribution is to confess to another stupid rookie stunt..

On a Weber equiped /6 with open carb horns, I managed to try and start the car [with 4lbs of fuel pump pressure] forgetting that I had left my nearly air-tight covers over the open carb horns. Some [all?] of the cylinders immediately filled with fuel as the engine was turning [20-30 secs of trying] - and I did hear a few good knocks before shutting down. After realizing my mistake, and drying things out, the engine seemed to run fine. Question is: knowing at least that fuel doesn't compress, how screwed am I? Or could could I get off lightly? Does this bend rods, etc.? Also I assume there's now gas in my just changed 13L of Mobil1. Do I have to throw that out?
With my first track day tomorrow, if the judgement is bad, just ar15.gif me now!
Thanks,
Gavin Ivory
J P Stein
My WAG would be that you're OK.

A serious amount of fuel would hydro-lock the motor...it would stop the started motor. Where guys get in trouble is when they try to bump start a hydro-locked motor by rolling it down a hill or sumthin'.

A check on the oil is in order, tho. Most of the "spare" fuel prolly went out of the exhaust pipe.
Since you have since ran the motor and it didn't blow
the muffler off......
Do a sniff test of the oil. Carbed 911 motors always put some gas in the oil. If it smells *very* strong of gas.....60-70 bucks of oil (I use M1 also) is shot. Just a bit will boil out.

This is one of them confused24.gif situations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.