Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FERODO brake pads, enlarging retaining pin hole
Part Pricer
post Jul 13 2004, 06:23 AM
Post #1

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

I was rummaging through my parts inventory last night when I came across something that I forgot I had, particularly some NOS Ferodo brake pads. I've got a set for both front and rear.

Well, I started to do some investigation on these. The Bird catalog lists these as NLA. But, I was intrigued by the description...
FERODO pads offer excellent braking characteristics including less brake dust, less noise, more longevity, and better braking performance. All around, a better pad and worth the upgrade. We recommend these for the weekend racer, or someone looking for a little better performance on the street. To use Mintex rear pads, you must have one retaining pin hole enlarged.

First question, are these pads that much better as described?

Second question, the rear pads do need to have one of the retaining pin holes enlarged to be used in the stock 914-4 rear calipers. Does anyone know the best procedure for doing this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 06:30 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

The slow way - file (rat tail) by hand, with a pin handy to check your progress.
The fast way - a long, narrow carbide burr in a die grinder, but this requires lots of skill to avoid having it get away from you and chew up the hole, giving you an unpleasant feeling in your arms at the same time.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (not quite the right smiley)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 13 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

which ferodos? I the DS11 compound was a real good race pad, I havent seen them in years though.. The other pads M maybe were a nice intermediate pad

giving you an unpleasant feeling in your arms at the same time

Ha!! i know the feeling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
smg914
post Jul 13 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695

I may have been lucky but all I never had an problems drilling the hole. I would just get a bit that fit the larger hole, sit a 2x4 on the garage floor, sit the pad on the 2x4, stand on the pad with my left foot and drill out the smaller hole. I've done this dozens of times.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jul 13 2004, 08:10 PM)
I may have been lucky but all I never had an problems drilling the hole. I would just get a bit that fit the larger hole, sit a 2x4 on the garage floor, sit the pad on the 2x4, stand on the pad with my left foot and drill out the smaller hole. I've done this dozens of times.

I thought the hole was oblong, which is easy to catch a drill in, and a good way to spin the pad out from underfoot.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:21 AM