Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternator Light not coming on at start up
barada
post Sep 7 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,613
Region Association: None

Ok so today I took the car out for a good 20 mile run to shake it down. I noticed when I started it the red light did not come on. When I got home the starter was dragging like the battery was dead. So I check voltage and I am at 10.4 volts with both a new starter and battery. I was not happy with the connections on the postive side of the battery so I reconnected them with a new clamp. Get in the car and turn the key and the red alternator light came on. I let it run and charge up and go in the house. I just went back out there and no red altenator light at start up. The bulb is good and I am getting a voltage drop with it running if I turn on the lights.
I pulled the motor a ocuple of months ago to fix some leaks and for a full paint job. I checked and I have a solid connection at the starter for the altenator. The 3 prong plug is solid on the fuse box. Any thoughts? The Altenator has never gave me any trouble while I have had the car.

Thanks
Phillip
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMITCHELL
post Sep 7 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,681

go and get a new regulator. There cheap. It may fix the problem. Also check your grounds. Might be a bad ground.
+Quote Post
barada
post Sep 8 2011, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Ok I did some checks after searching on here. Most people have problems of the light never going out. When Mine lite up it was on to abotu 1500 and went out.

I did this as suggested on the board. "You can also do what is called a "full field" test. Jump the field wire to the battery positive. The voltmeter should show about 15v like this. If that is the case, then replace the voltage regulator. "

When I jumped the wire the engine bogged down a little and the voltage on my voltmeter climbed from 12.4 to 15.2 and I took it off. Did it again and same result. Sound like voltage regulator? I am going to grab one at lunch and hope that cures it.

Thanks for the help
Phillip
+Quote Post
barada
post Sep 8 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #4

Any thoughts? Going to pick up a Voltage regulator on the way home.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 8 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #5

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

pick up a Voltage regulator on the way home

Thats what I would do!!
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 8 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #6

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....And if you do??(get VR)get an electronic 1,much better....I've had real good fortune with those! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) peace (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)(electronic....Definitely an upgrade)
+Quote Post
barada
post Sep 8 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #7

I bought the replacement from AA that goes right on the panel. Clicked it on, held breathe, turned key and woot woot red light on dash. Car is charging at 13.5 at the batter on my meter so it appears that was the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Phillip
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Sep 9 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #8

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(barada @ Sep 8 2011, 02:01 PM) *

I bought the replacement from AA that goes right on the panel. Clicked it on, held breathe, turned key and woot woot red light on dash. Car is charging at 13.5 at the batter on my meter so it appears that was the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Phillip

......Good for you!!...I hope it (VR)last along time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(good fortune my brother!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
PBC914
post Sep 9 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,545
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(barada @ Sep 7 2011, 06:56 PM) *

Ok so today I took the car out for a good 20 mile run to shake it down. I noticed when I started it the red light did not come on. When I got home the starter was dragging like the battery was dead. So I check voltage and I am at 10.4 volts with both a new starter and battery. I was not happy with the connections on the postive side of the battery so I reconnected them with a new clamp. Get in the car and turn the key and the red alternator light came on. I let it run and charge up and go in the house. I just went back out there and no red altenator light at start up. The bulb is good and I am getting a voltage drop with it running if I turn on the lights.
I pulled the motor a ocuple of months ago to fix some leaks and for a full paint job. I checked and I have a solid connection at the starter for the altenator. The 3 prong plug is solid on the fuse box. Any thoughts? The Altenator has never gave me any trouble while I have had the car.

Thanks
Phillip

How long has it been since you replaced the ignition switch? I had this problem in my 75 1.8 and was solved by replacing the switch. Good luck.
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Sep 9 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

Check the bulb, it will not charge if the bulb is burned out or if it is not the larger 2w bulb. Don't just throw parts at it.
+Quote Post
barada
post Sep 9 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #11

Thanks for the added troubleshooting tips but it was the VR. I did test the bulb and did a test to see that the Alt was working before I got the VR.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:46 AM