Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Light not coming on at start up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barada
Ok so today I took the car out for a good 20 mile run to shake it down. I noticed when I started it the red light did not come on. When I got home the starter was dragging like the battery was dead. So I check voltage and I am at 10.4 volts with both a new starter and battery. I was not happy with the connections on the postive side of the battery so I reconnected them with a new clamp. Get in the car and turn the key and the red alternator light came on. I let it run and charge up and go in the house. I just went back out there and no red altenator light at start up. The bulb is good and I am getting a voltage drop with it running if I turn on the lights.
I pulled the motor a ocuple of months ago to fix some leaks and for a full paint job. I checked and I have a solid connection at the starter for the altenator. The 3 prong plug is solid on the fuse box. Any thoughts? The Altenator has never gave me any trouble while I have had the car.

Thanks
Phillip
BMITCHELL
go and get a new regulator. There cheap. It may fix the problem. Also check your grounds. Might be a bad ground.
barada
Ok I did some checks after searching on here. Most people have problems of the light never going out. When Mine lite up it was on to abotu 1500 and went out.

I did this as suggested on the board. "You can also do what is called a "full field" test. Jump the field wire to the battery positive. The voltmeter should show about 15v like this. If that is the case, then replace the voltage regulator. "

When I jumped the wire the engine bogged down a little and the voltage on my voltmeter climbed from 12.4 to 15.2 and I took it off. Did it again and same result. Sound like voltage regulator? I am going to grab one at lunch and hope that cures it.

Thanks for the help
Phillip
barada
Any thoughts? Going to pick up a Voltage regulator on the way home.
Jeffs9146
pick up a Voltage regulator on the way home

Thats what I would do!!
Drums66
....And if you do??(get VR)get an electronic 1,much better....I've had real good fortune with those! idea.gif peace flag.gif bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif(electronic....Definitely an upgrade)
barada
I bought the replacement from AA that goes right on the panel. Clicked it on, held breathe, turned key and woot woot red light on dash. Car is charging at 13.5 at the batter on my meter so it appears that was the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Phillip
Drums66
QUOTE(barada @ Sep 8 2011, 02:01 PM) *

I bought the replacement from AA that goes right on the panel. Clicked it on, held breathe, turned key and woot woot red light on dash. Car is charging at 13.5 at the batter on my meter so it appears that was the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Phillip

......Good for you!!...I hope it (VR)last along time biggrin.gif
(good fortune my brother!) bye1.gif
PBC914
QUOTE(barada @ Sep 7 2011, 06:56 PM) *

Ok so today I took the car out for a good 20 mile run to shake it down. I noticed when I started it the red light did not come on. When I got home the starter was dragging like the battery was dead. So I check voltage and I am at 10.4 volts with both a new starter and battery. I was not happy with the connections on the postive side of the battery so I reconnected them with a new clamp. Get in the car and turn the key and the red alternator light came on. I let it run and charge up and go in the house. I just went back out there and no red altenator light at start up. The bulb is good and I am getting a voltage drop with it running if I turn on the lights.
I pulled the motor a ocuple of months ago to fix some leaks and for a full paint job. I checked and I have a solid connection at the starter for the altenator. The 3 prong plug is solid on the fuse box. Any thoughts? The Altenator has never gave me any trouble while I have had the car.

Thanks
Phillip

How long has it been since you replaced the ignition switch? I had this problem in my 75 1.8 and was solved by replacing the switch. Good luck.
JFJ914
Check the bulb, it will not charge if the bulb is burned out or if it is not the larger 2w bulb. Don't just throw parts at it.
barada
Thanks for the added troubleshooting tips but it was the VR. I did test the bulb and did a test to see that the Alt was working before I got the VR.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.