Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some help from you guys., replacing all new gaskets on 1.7
Hammer920
post Jul 15 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #1

It's a Learning Experience

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I have dropped the engine and tranny and now have gone down as far as the piston cylienders abd heads, there were no gaskets on then at all the push rod tubes had orange silicone on the seals some were just o-rings not for the porshe itself some were some other kind of seals. I ordered a complete set from pelican parts, the 1st Question is this, when i took off the drivers side head one of the fins on cylender 4 partially broke off about 4 " of it, will that effect the cooling of it. 2nd question the pistons in cylender 2&4 and the valves are clean, the 1&3 piston heads have carbon bild up on top of the piston and valves cylender walls are smooth as a baby's butt, should I take the piston cylenders off and have them polished and cleaned or scrape off the carbon build up and put back togeather I dont have the ring compressor to put them back on. there were a lot of things that i saw that was not right or missing. any suggestions would be appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 15 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

First off, what problems did the engine have that have forced you to start disassembling it? What things are you finding that are "not right"?

The pushrod tube seals can be replaced without even removing the heads. If you've disassembled the engine this far just to replace those, you need to stop, buy a manual and the proper tools, and understand what you're doing before you proceed. Doing this kind of thing blindly can break valuable parts, as you've already discovered with the broken fins on the cylinder.
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 15 2004, 05:15 PM
Post #3

no gaskets on the cylenderheads for one, very bad oil leaks on the passenger side when the engine was dropped missing several bolts, the engine mounts were broke on the front, the back 2 injectors were frooze had new injectors in those in which i stated that there was carbon build up on # 1&3 piston and valves the only fin that was broke off in a 4 " peice was on # 4 the 1st fin top right, there was a lot of reasons to pull this engine the seals were not origanal, the car did sat for 5 yrs not running got it running not right, if i am going to restore this car want to do it right, fully read the haynes manual and this engine will be put back togeather right as it should be. too many things were rigged on this, car, was a usedcar not mine origanally and I want it to be running right. I have already spent over $2000.00 on parts and still not running right new hoses new plugs points wires, ecu, vac advance on distributor that was not there and was sordered in place to run when i got it now has been fixed right the fule pump is hot wired to run to start the engine why I dont know when the wires are there, will ck the relays under the passenger seat when it's back togeather, it needed all new gaskets so i did what I had to do drop it and replace what needs to be replaced. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 15 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #4

heres what it looked like

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 15 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

There shouldn't be any gaskets between the heads and the cylinders, so that's actually not a problem.

It looks like that engine needs a good cleaning, at least. It also sounds like you're already committed to doing a complete tear-down and rebuild, which wasn't clear in your first post. It sounded like you were prepared to simply clean things and put it back together.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 15 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Dude, don't know that much about the unseen workings but that looks terrible. I am in the same boat you are. I have a '76 that I will probably have to rebuild. Please keep me informed as to the kind of things you run into
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 16 2004, 06:09 AM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Wow that is one dirty engine. Bet it ran hot too as nearly completly blocked off oil cooler. If you were to just clean it up it will run much better. My 1.7L was just about that bad on the cylinders I drove from Seattle to Pascagoula like that. Didn't know it till I tore it down.
Plenty of info here on the board about seals and sealing compounds. Do searches like "oil leak"

Broken fins are not that big of a deal as long as it is just a short section on one cylinder each. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 09:53 AM
Post #8

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The pic of the cooler if you look in the center wher you can see the fins, well i rubbed my finger over that it was totaly blocked. I have more pic's of the heads and cylinders the heads had no gaskets on them nor did the cylinders had no "lets see Auto atlanta calls it a head gasket w/ diagram, haynes book has sealing rings and pelican also has sealing rings so I am assumeing that it is a sealing ring, there were none! the reason I pulled the heads was all, injectors were fireing and spraying correctly in the viles, the front to cylenders were very strong 2&4, the back 2 cylinders 1&3 were fireing BUT not as strong, these are the 2 injectors that I replaced new, in the pic's cylinders 1&3 have carbon build up, same for the valves on the heads. I'll order new rings and pin's for the pistons and have the cylinder walls polished out, cannot find 1.7 pistons and cylinders.

During the tear down it had a Factory Air cond. compressor, since there is nothing other than this will not put back on, still turns and has oil in the compressor all the bolts were loose on that on the block, will replace the clutch cable outercovering or plactic torn off , Funny thing on that there was a worm gear clamp clampped on the cable on the pulley end, I guess when who ever had it before me put that there to space the clutch out, on the Fly Wheel bolts, they were supposed to be a 12 point bolt, they were 17 mm hex head bolts that were gound off on top to fit, it was balanced did drive it no vibration. The Tin screws well they were most al there but some were removed and used else where on the car. in the pics that i posted today the o-ring seals for the oil tubs this is how it came out and are not right size.
The reason for the drop well when you put new oil censor in and the oil light omes on after it warmmed up, and the car died at all stops and would have to restart, and all the oil leaks, rear main leaking front was questionable will repace anyway I thought it would be better to do this to actually know and run like it should run.
The Body as normal will have to replace the battery tray rotted through and brace while I'm there will remove the light rust on the metal there to see if it needs replaced, there is a Silver dollarsized rust spot on the drivers side roll bar right above the door handle and the jack pole drivers side rusted off may have to replace that longitudnal other than that the rest of the body other than the color it was originally signal orange was poorly painted over metalic blue will replace all body metal with metal and repaint it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #9

2 of 4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #10

3 of 4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #11

4 of 4

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Jul 16 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

Wow, now that looks filthy.

Hey Joe, I guess my engine isn't that bad after all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Listen to everyone, get a Haynes manual and do it right.

Also, Joe is rebuilding my engine.

Here's what he found.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 16 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

the guys are right NO seals between cylinder head and cylinders !
if you had 'em throw them away, if you bought 'em new, sell them on ebay.

as for the rest, a good cleaning first, buy a case of brake-cleaner and spray down all that dirt and oil-grime.
then inspect carefully for cracks in the heads etc.

you'll be surprised how much cleaning one can do on those little suckers ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jul 16 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #14

Unregistered

I can't emphasize this more...Buy Jake Raby's video...it is very heplful.

The dark stains on the heads are due to the leaks caused by the original copper gaskets...VW made a mistake...not to be used.

Peter
74 2 Liter
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #15

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I wouldn't have got this far without my haynes book! the thing I am most concerned about is the 1&3 pistons w/ all the carbon build up have not taken off the cylinders, will take a brush and wd-40 then simple green to clean off the lower portion of the engine have already got the top part cleanned off. I'm this far I do probly need to put new rings and pins in the pistons do You guys agree? I do have more pic's of everything before the tear down the drivers side was also filled with oil and dirt. will not put those gasket rings in did come with the kit, another question I have is the kit has red gaskets 8 of them and green gaxkets 8 of those are those for the oil tubes? the red's are i know?
the head gaskets or the for the heads were not on the car what you see in the pics was all that was there.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 16 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #16

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Are you looking for a performance increase at all, or is it going back stock? This would be the time for pistons/cylinders & crank/cam bearings, as long as you're going this far.

OH, Jake's video is great.
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #17

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) going back stock for now. where can i get this video?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Jul 16 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #18

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Guy's, while were at it, I think I will pick up Jake's video as well. C'mon Jake, giveus the details and the $ are on the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 16 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How many miles on this engine?? looks like a 80hp 1.7l to me....
Take the heads apart and check the valve and valve guides for wear!
Looks like its had a lot of hard miles on it......so you should check everything for wear. Just slopping new parts on a tired block isn't the greatest idea. Proper machine work is the ticket to a lasting motor. Proper clearances for the bearing, rods, etc are really important!

Geoff
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jul 16 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #20

Unregistered

To get Jake's video go to www.aircooledtechnology.com and call the number he has on one of the pages. I got mine a few days later. J C Whitney also has the video . It's called the "bug Me " series and it's the Type 4 video [3 hrs]. They sell it for $30.00
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:00 AM