Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need some help from you guys., replacing all new gaskets on 1.7
newdeal2
post Jul 16 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #21

Unregistered

BTW...pull out the lifters [keeping them in order] and check the wear. If they are starting to cup it's probably a good idea to crack open the case.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Jul 16 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #22

It's a Learning Experience

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

The OD stopped at 63366.9, thanks for the info on the video, the engine looks like it has been gone through once already so not for sure it is orignal miles the bolts on the flywheel were not 12 point they were 17mm hex head grounded off on the top of the hex head, also if you will look at the oil tubes you will see all the red sicicon on them and you will also see the silicone in the block or on the block where they were pulled off, the seals were not orignal seals. I would like to keep this a 1.7 liter stock will have the heads manafluxed for cracks this porsche will stay a d-jet I do not want carbs, it was so dirty with the sand and oil grime I understand and see why it would warm up then after driving it die at all stops no air circulation in the oil cooler the south plains of Texas has bad sand storms, the engine had no thermostat or bracket, I thought the flaps were stuck I found out different. the engine will at all cost, try to stay 1.7 cannot find 1.7 cylinders or pistons all I have found is 2.0. If the cylinders which they look to be not scored or pitted will order new rings and polish the cylinders will not know till Sunday if it has been bored w/ new pistons. I've had TOO MANY BEERS TONIGHT ANY ONE WANT ONE... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Jul 17 2004, 05:16 AM
Post #23

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I second the recommendation to use Brake Cleaner. Buy a case.

If the cylinders are in good shape, you should be able to re-use them. Do a search on "non-detergent oil" for break-in recommendations.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jul 17 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #24

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I don't believe Magnaflux will reveal anything on an ALUMINUM HEAD. Magna= magnetic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
But if it is carced anywhere you will see it when the combustion chamber is cleaned up. Look around the plug hole and the section between the valves. When you start port matching the intake and exhaust (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) you can see pretty well in there. After you take the valves out of course.

Good plan on the cylinders and yes it is 7:00 am Saturday I'd love a beer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jul 17 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #25

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think Ray Greenwood was having a run of domed 90.5mm pistons made if you want some new pistons. Post on shoptalkforums for him (usually in the fuelinjection forum).
Geoff
+Quote Post
Hammer920
post Sep 17 2004, 05:37 PM
Post #26

It's a Learning Experience

Member No.: 1,989

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Well so far Ive had the heads rebuilt and gone through heads were fine valves were in good shape is a 1,7 so all the heads needed were valves and seats regtound I had them put and I ordered all the parts new valve guides, new HD springs and new valve keepers. As far as the pistons and jugs and 3 had 7 to 8 thousants clearence and were well worn 1 and 4 had 4 thousants clearence so Have on order new pistons and jugs for 1.7.
So now I have recieved several suggestions about the block. It is not torn apart yet But I have been told if the engine was not knocking not to break apart and leave it alone, But to me this is what I think,"I have redone the heads and will have new jugs and pistons which means higher compression, if i put it back togeather as is I think that I would be having to tear it down again because i did not have the cam shaft and crank shaft mic'ed, did not have the bearings checked they are not loose and are very tight no certical movement but will move foward and backwards about 1/8th of an inch, did not replace the rod berings so if put back togeather as is with new compression will it throw a rod down the road?
I cannot find Anybody around my area to break the block down I have contiplated on doint it myself do have a haynes book to help BUT then again I need cinfidence to do it will look around somemore to see if i can find someone that knows how to do this. just wanted to post this to let ya know my progress.
Thanks for all your help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:35 PM