Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 76 2.0 FI doesn't catch - HELP, please
edrotol
post Sep 11 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #1

edrotol

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,910
Region Association: North East States

Went 35 miles and back, no problem, started it about 6 times and ran like a top, no problem. At end of trip, car started stalling, I shut it off and then could not start it since then. Battery ok, gas okay, would go through procedure for FI to start, i would hear fuel pump go on as a hum, turn on ignition and for a split second it would try to catch but then shut down. tach needle would go up to 12 o'clock for that split second as if it wants to catch but no go. Numerous times but no go. I though maybe it is not getting any fuel after the ignition. Opened the fuel pump cover in front trunk and found this. Fuel pump assembly is to the right and but you can see and what interest me is the fuel filter - look like rust color on the outside. Is it possible fuel lines, hence fuel filter is clogged that it does not start???? I don't think it is the starter - as it does not have an problem turning over even for that split second. or could it?
Had car for 5 years but do not know whether PO addressed this or that fuel filter has even been changed. I certainly haven't. my bad maybe. I welcome your thoughts.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 11 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I would start at the filter. Try some starting fluid in the intake. That will tell you if fuel is the problem.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Sep 11 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'd do a filter change specially since you don't know when it was last replaced. Sounds like a fuel problem.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 11 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The tach acting weird like that makes it seem like an ignition problem to me.

Time to verify all of the basics: Do you have spark, do you have fuel, do you have compression? Fuel pressure? Etc.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:30 AM