Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> anyone swap in a honda engine?
Hontec
post Sep 20 2011, 08:40 AM
Post #21

I see things.....

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,210
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(mark21742 @ Sep 20 2011, 03:25 PM) *

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against KEP, but if it is something that I can take an afternoon or even a weekend to fabricate and save a couple of hundred dollars by doing my self I'd rather do it. Plus on the end i can take more pride in it because I made that part instead of buying it.....am I nutty for thinking like that? Maybe lol

Nope, you are right. It's just that when you have cad drawings of both engine and transmission side and you cad draw a custom adapter plate, you are spot on. My experience with home made plates is that in most cases there is a mis-alignment which will not show in the beginning but will come out in later phases resulting in strange failures, which can afterwards be related back to misalignment, since internal porsche gearboxparts are generally more expensive then the adapterplate, I would go the cnc way,hence my assumption....

The B16 in my opinion is a very good engine, like I said earlier, it's a monster of an engine, especially with a mild quick spinning turbo. 250-275HP is easy and with those numbers you can keep stock internals, which in turn is cost effective. Just check for oil consumption....in most cases this is due to age and can be easily remedied by replacing the valve seals....

The acura project and the rest is on my site: RVWerks

Best regards

Randall

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Sep 20 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #22

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

does anyone have said CAD DWGs? I need it to make an adapter plate for a big 250ft/lb electric motor and as Randall mentions, i want to get the clutch package relationships correct
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 20 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #23

I see things.....

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Sep 20 2011, 06:57 PM) *

does anyone have said CAD DWGs? I need it to make an adapter plate for a big 250ft/lb electric motor and as Randall mentions, i want to get the clutch package relationships correct

Scan the motorflange and send the cad to KEP or take it to KEP.......
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Sep 20 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Fasthonda is thread..>Michael. He knows his stuff
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 21 2011, 07:04 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,583
Region Association: None

what about a hayabusa turbo? any toughts?
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 21 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #26

I see things.....

QUOTE(dian @ Sep 21 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Why not, the sequence of adapting the honda or the busa engine is the same
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 21 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #27

what would the weight savings be over the b16?
+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 21 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,502
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dian @ Sep 21 2011, 09:04 AM) *

Do a search for the "Smart Car Diablo" you will love them
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 21 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #29

interesting. but i only get stupid videos. do you have an informative link?

i reckon, the real question is, if there is a way to reduce gearing to make this work. has anybody thougth it through or even done it?
+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 21 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(dian @ Sep 21 2011, 01:59 PM) *

interesting. but i only get stupid videos. do you have an informative link?

i reckon, the real question is, if there is a way to reduce gearing to make this work. has anybody thougth it through or even done it?

The Hybusa motor has the transmission built in as one price with the engine, so in theory (my theory) output shaft of the bike tranny to the Porsche tranny input shaft, then try the bike tranny in 5th gear and row through the Porsche gears.....then shift the bike tranny to what ever gear gives you the best overall final gearing (think of it like a gear spliter ons big truck)
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 22 2011, 01:39 AM
Post #31

wow, that makes it even more interesting. thanks.
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Sep 22 2011, 02:08 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Do a search for bike engined cars (BEC) on google. Specifically take a look at what locost builders are doing. (Those guys are champions at coming up with engineering solutions on a budget)

You can chain drive the wheels like in a radical sports car but that needs maintenance to keep tensions and alignments in check.
Alternatively (but add weight) you can use a RWD diff and fab a short prop/drive shaft to drive the rear wheels.
+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 22 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #33

What about using the Honda engine/ tranny combo and having the outer CV joints re machined to slide into the factory Porsche hubs?
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 22 2011, 06:06 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

SOT: But I have always wondered if you could put a front wheel drive (transverse I think) in the rear of the 914......

My 99 Solara (camry) is a wonderful engine & you can put on the TRD supercharger for >240hp.

You would still have to do the front radiator like the V8 crowd does.

I just thought it would fit, and be cool to have a supercharged transverse V6 running amid-ships in a 914 ;-)

Stu
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Sep 22 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(mark21742 @ Sep 23 2011, 07:39 AM) *

What about using the Honda engine/ tranny combo and having the outer CV joints re machined to slide into the factory Porsche hubs?

Mark,
Assuming you are still talking bike engine. The bike transmission only has one output (sprocket) and you'd need to make up some sort of diff arrangement to get the power to both wheels.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 22 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #36

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mark21742 @ Sep 22 2011, 04:39 PM) *

2 big downsides.

1. You have to basically elimate the rear trunk. Making the car a rear engine rear wheel drive.

2. The way the honda trani orients, one axle HAS to be much longer than the other. Therefore you get what is "torque steer", Which when translated in RWD fashion is the car always pitches one way when doing burnouts, and it acts differently when getting on power mid turn turning left vs turning right.

Now you have a couple of pro's with this here...

1. Honda engine reliability
2. Honda trani reliability.
3. Honda Engine aftermarket
4. Honda trani gearing makes an almost unlimited gearing options from the factory. (Combine an SI trani and a HF trani and you can make whatever you want pretty much).

5. (914 implementation related), When removing the rear trunk you can make a fiberglass engine cover and get some of it back for jackets and small tools. Also where the engine normally is can now be an expansion of the interior with some proper design (I hope your following me here). Basically a smugglers box.
6. Honda's dont need barely any cooling so a small radiator in the rear with a fan on it 100% of the time and you'll be good to go, leaving the front trunk untouched.

This is a build I am dying to get my hands on and DO. I feel that its a great way to get a reliable 250hp 45mpg 914 with some really cool engineering.
+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 23 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 22 2011, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mark21742 @ Sep 22 2011, 04:39 PM) *

2 big downsides.

1. You have to basically elimate the rear trunk. Making the car a rear engine rear wheel drive.

2. The way the honda trani orients, one axle HAS to be much longer than the other. Therefore you get what is "torque steer", Which when translated in RWD fashion is the car always pitches one way when doing burnouts, and it acts differently when getting on power mid turn turning left vs turning right.

Now you have a couple of pro's with this here...

1. Honda engine reliability
2. Honda trani reliability.
3. Honda Engine aftermarket
4. Honda trani gearing makes an almost unlimited gearing options from the factory. (Combine an SI trani and a HF trani and you can make whatever you want pretty much).

5. (914 implementation related), When removing the rear trunk you can make a fiberglass engine cover and get some of it back for jackets and small tools. Also where the engine normally is can now be an expansion of the interior with some proper design (I hope your following me here). Basically a smugglers box.
6. Honda's dont need barely any cooling so a small radiator in the rear with a fan on it 100% of the time and you'll be good to go, leaving the front trunk untouched.

This is a build I am dying to get my hands on and DO. I feel that its a great way to get a reliable 250hp 45mpg 914 with some really cool engineering.

Yes I follow you here, this is what I was talking about with using the Honda engine/ tranny.

I know it has one long and one short axle, but didn't know that this is what causes the torque steer issues.

I don't mind losing the front and rear trunks, as long as I have a place to put a few small things in like you said, a "smugglers box".

I think the hardest think with this setup would be the shift linkages, but I have around 20 or so long, large cables with mounting tabs and end links that I could fab up some brackets to make work
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 23 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #38

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Shift and clutch linkage is easy. You could go with a hydraulic clutch and use the stock hydraulic clutch setup, Or you could keep it cable and go that route. Shifting should be done via cable. The honda setup is PERFECT for a cable system.

Also you could easily keep the front trunk, And some of the rear trunk (Basically enough to throw tools, a jacket and the targa top). Like I said you only have to deal with the radiator, and you could easily go with a 1/2 radiator and if you really wanted to you could mount it in front of one of the rear fenders and make a cutout. Using a fan you would have all the cooling you need, the honda engines run REALLY cool.

+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 23 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #39

Yup, if I go Honda, I'll probably run the stock Honda tri pedals and raise the master cylinder up to match it
+Quote Post
mark21742
post Sep 23 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #40

I also have a stock Saab 900 turbo inner cooler that's about 15" x 15" or so....I could mount it on one side with an electric fan and the radiator on the other side up high in the roadster humps......that way I could keep a larger rear trunk and with all the cutting I did on the front clip to lower and shorten the nose I could still have room there for a jack and toolbox (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:16 AM