Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> supercharger
Brett W
post Sep 27 2011, 06:48 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

If you want to supercharge it, go for it. While I don't think the T4 is a proper candidate for boost, its a T4, they are a dime a dozen, if it pops you can build another.

I would use a two barrel Holley carb and a MSD Boost Timing Master to control your iginition retard if you decide to stick with a carb. Personally I would use fuel injection to get proper control of the timing and fuel. The Holley two barrel will have more options for jetting and adjustments to work good on and off boost. Watch your cylinder head temps and timing advance. Don't want to pop the heads off the first time out.

I was just looking on Rock Auto and they show the 1985 Nissan 720 pickup as the one having the twin plugs. I will have to look for the old VW Porsche Magazine that had the article about the twin plug engines. Can't remember if he used the whole dizzy or just the cap. You can do it, who cares what everyone else says. If you need bring it to Huntsville and I will work on it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
biggy72
post Sep 27 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,418
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had an 80 200SX with what I think is the same twin plug setup as the pickups.

They probably are refusing to work on it for more of a lack of knowledge than liability. They are probably thinking it would be cost prohibitive for the time it would take for them to figure it out. I personally think this would be a cool setup with efi. I know the carb can work (look at most hot rods with super chargers), but the efi would just be way more efficient about getting the fuel spray into the cylinder still atomized.

I'm curious how are the heads setup for twin plug?
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Sep 27 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(biggy72 @ Sep 27 2011, 05:58 PM) *

I had an 80 200SX with what I think is the same twin plug setup as the pickups.

They probably are refusing to work on it for more of a lack of knowledge than liability. They are probably thinking it would be cost prohibitive for the time it would take for them to figure it out. I personally think this would be a cool setup with efi. I know the carb can work (look at most hot rods with super chargers), but the efi would just be way more efficient about getting the fuel spray into the cylinder still atomized.

I'm curious how are the heads setup for twin plug?

Jay was a machinist and had a dynoe to tune the stuff with, he also programmed his own chips.. My twin plug RPM engine has been stting for a while, so it will get resealed & such, I'll get lots of pix when the time comes..
+Quote Post
lrm914
post Sep 27 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 13,514
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 27 2011, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(lrm914 @ Sep 26 2011, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(shuie @ Sep 25 2011, 03:28 PM) *

That's a pic of my car's engine. I bought this car about 16 years ago. I have moved around, but always brought the car with me from place to place. Currently I am working to get the car back onto the road. I had though to start a build thread but could not figure out how to do that in the club forums.. A few senior members have been really helpful to me THANKS!
As I understand it it was built in the early 90's at a Fla speedshop called RPM by a Porsche guru named Jay..I do not think the shop is still around. I did make contact with another 914world member who knew Jay back when he was building cars. He mentioned that his shop was always doing innovative modifications to 914's.

The engine is a '75 2.0 Liter California (as I understand it, this is a variation of the 2L but I am not sure of the exact difference, expets here will have more knowledge about that, maybe sl. larger dispacement?), anyway the setup has a bolt on blower being driven by the crank, the belt wraps around the alternator then an idler pully then over the top of the supercharger pully. A weber carb sits on top of the SC. The car souds like a Lear jet when it's running...
Years ago I had a new SC pully lathed out of aluminum, much better than the pully it came with. When I got the car it had been built for the track, brake mods, suspention mods, fuel cell (original tank removed), nothing but a racing seat wheel and dashboard in the interior (would guess thtat the car was stripped down to reduce weight). The body is a 73 model, but modified with steel flares.
What other pics would be helpful? I would be happy to help out.

I would love to speak with anyone who may have worked on this car or has experience with the supercharging work that was being done "back in the day" with the Fla crowd back in the 90's.

Would also be interesting to see how many of these RPM supercharged cars are still around.

Exciting to see there's another one out there!

Send me a PM to connect...

I sent him the pix you sent me, as he hung out at the shop at that time, sent them to a few other friends as well, but nothing yet, also working on getting Jay's current contact info for you.

Thanks, I spoke with Sherman this evening, I really enjoyed hearing about some of his experiences in Daytona back in the 90's with RPM. I will try to get some pics on the forum soon. Need some expert advice on this car...
Thanks Again, Larry

QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 26 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Jay was one of the pioneers of the twin plug setup for the Type 4 back in the day as well. If I remember right he used a Nissan distributor to control the four extra plugs.

Correct, Phil had one of these engines, and it was FAST!!! I also have one, but need a new Naps Z distributor (these came out of Nissan pick ups) Mine vanished (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

+Quote Post
lrm914
post Sep 27 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(lrm914 @ Sep 27 2011, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 26 2011, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(lrm914 @ Sep 26 2011, 06:20 AM) *

The engine is a '75 2.0 Liter California (as I understand it, this is a variation of the 2L but I am not sure of the exact difference...

No difference, just a catalytic converter and a smog pump. It may have been used originally because of the smog pump drive, which came out of the center of the fan.

--DD

I'll take a closer look at the pulley, I think your right Dave, the belt may not be able to loop around without an offset crank pulley.

I am sure the belt wraps around the alternater though. If there is interest I will take a bunch of shots of the configuration of the belt and pully system.

Thanks Dave for the info on the California 2.0L was not sure of the difference I thought it may have been slightly different dispacement or slightly higher HP...Thanks for the correction!

Also, there was a mention of a twin plug design coming out of Jay's RPM shop in Daytona...my car has this dual plug set-up although it is not hooked up. And the distributor for that set up is either a nissan or suburu I can not remember exactly. Never had the twin plugs setup to run, The stock distributor caps works for 4 wires (5 with the coil), but one section of the cap needs to be filed down to fit the ditributor body..still has points in the dist. I will take some pics of this, maybe someone can identfy the type of dist it is, likely not Bosch?
I need to look closer at this, since I am getting close to getting the car up and running after many years of storage. Detonation concerns from some guyswho know ALOT more than I, have me a bit concerned as well. A certain shop in Altanta does not recommend using this SC set-up at all and will not work on the car unless I switch to something different, they suggested a dual carb set-up (i can understand that from a liability standpoint so I am more disappointed than peved)..but his may open its own can of worms (twin carbs) since I do not know what was done to the engine internally with the compression of pistons and cylinders etc. Part of me thinks the twin carbs would be a good idea, but a larger part wants to get this going like it was designed years ago with the SC setup.

Any thoughts?

I would love to get this car on the 914world forum . Everyone is so helpful and supportive, I love reading through the build threads! Some of these cars are just incredible, And I can use all the advice I can get.
Larry

The pully on the crank of the car is not offset. There is another pulley and bracket bolted to the fan housing then goes under idler pulley then over and around the SC and back to the crank pulley. The second pulley allows the belt to clear the fan housing. I completely forgot about the second pulley. it can not be seen it in the pics. I will get new pics as soon as I can figure out how toget them off my DROID and onto the 914world website.
Larry
+Quote Post
lrm914
post Sep 27 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 26 2011, 12:46 AM) *

How well does it fit the firewall?

--DD

Dave,

There is surprisingly ample room for the belt to travel behind the firewall.

Larry
+Quote Post
lrm914
post Sep 27 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 27 2011, 08:48 PM) *

If you want to supercharge it, go for it. While I don't think the T4 is a proper candidate for boost, its a T4, they are a dime a dozen, if it pops you can build another.

I would use a two barrel Holley carb and a MSD Boost Timing Master to control your iginition retard if you decide to stick with a carb. Personally I would use fuel injection to get proper control of the timing and fuel. The Holley two barrel will have more options for jetting and adjustments to work good on and off boost. Watch your cylinder head temps and timing advance. Don't want to pop the heads off the first time out.

I was just looking on Rock Auto and they show the 1985 Nissan 720 pickup as the one having the twin plugs. I will have to look for the old VW Porsche Magazine that had the article about the twin plug engines. Can't remember if he used the whole dizzy or just the cap. You can do it, who cares what everyone else says. If you need bring it to Huntsville and I will work on it.

Hey Brett,

I may take you up on the offer to bring it to Huntsville...I am right in Cave Spring Ga.
That famous 914 shop in Atlanta is not interested in doing the engine work, I do need a good Type IV mechanic, wonder how much it would cost to ship the car to you...you were serious right?

Larry
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Sep 27 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

I will get new pics as soon as I can figure out how toget them off my DROID and onto the 914world website.
Larry

E-mail the pix to your PC, or pull the chip & get an adaptor to down load into your PC.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Sep 28 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I could come get the car. I have a tow rig and trailer for this purpose. But right now I am covered up with stuff that needs to get done. It may be a month or so before I can get to it.

What is the condition of your engine? If the base engine is no good, there is no point in pushing your luck any further.
+Quote Post
shuie
post Sep 29 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 2,075

lrm914, I just sent you a few emails with some info I have collected over the years. Let me know if that stuff doesn't go through and I'll send it again.
+Quote Post
paroxysm
post Sep 30 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,888

I thought about using the charger off my g60 on my type 4, but went the swap route instead.(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i106.photobucket.com-1888-1317431639.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dasnowman
post Apr 11 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #52

You miss 100% of shots you don't take!

Member No.: 14,477
Region Association: Canada

Interesting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Apr 11 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #53

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

I actually have a Judson that needs rebuilding. Unfortunately they are only for Type 1 style engines where the fan shroud is above not below and the single PICT carb.

They only added a small amount of HP.

They are very pricey if you find one.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 11 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Okay, I got kind of lost/sidetracked while reading this thread, especially in regarding to the dual spark distributors.

But there is a really cool thread over at the Samba where someone created a dual dizzy setup for a Type 1 - I didn't even know this was possible!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-13527-1365724910.1.jpg)

Video of it running here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=60
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Apr 11 2013, 06:22 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

I did a supercharger once in the 90s on a 2.0 but kept it fuel injected. Cooling was always the biggest problem. While we were able to program (trick) the brain box into pouring massive amounts of fuel in resulting in some serious power, we were never able to cool it well enough. It was a beast to drive with the sound of a million pissed off bees right behind your head. It died in a fiery internal meltdown but what a trip it was.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 13 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 11 2013, 04:01 PM) *

Okay, I got kind of lost/sidetracked while reading this thread, especially in regarding to the dual spark distributors.

But there is a really cool thread over at the Samba where someone created a dual dizzy setup for a Type 1 - I didn't even know this was possible!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-13527-1365724910.1.jpg)

Video of it running here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=60

Hey George,

If you google "964 distributor belt" you will see how similar in design that one in the picture above is to how the factory did it on the 3.6 motors. I had to replace the belt in mine when I 1st bought the car.

And a bump for supercharged Type IV's !
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Dec 13 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 16,395

I owned the first finished type 4 dual plug head from Jay..he used a Nissian pickup distributor...I bought and delivered the mill he used..everyone could notice how much smoother the idle was ( carbs )...I had no frame of reference for a power difference . Jay was part of the crowd building 600 horsepower CSI turbos for the 3.2 guys back in the day . I don't believe that he was a machinist , but he was very bright , and lacked integrity...Tim Studdard of Grassroots ( ax action then )used to hang at the shop sometime , working on a 914 if I remember right . I drove Jays street car ...CSI turbo on a 2.7 I think.. I won my class in the GUNNER CUP with it...astounding acceleration even by today's standard...I ran across an ad for RPM recently in another state I think, still advertising twin plug...man Time flies
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 13 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Don't forget to service the bearings, shafts and drain/ refill with oil at 100,000mi. intervals. More maint. on the supercharger is the reason I prefer turbos over superchargers. Magnacharger going in for service, shown here Attached Image
Marty
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 18 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

This is very cool. Keep us posted with added info.

TIA
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 16 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #60

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Back up again for those that like strange stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Found some super small superchargers from Aisin, supposedly used as smog pumps.
Can be found on ebay and other places pretty cheap.

AMR500 if you want to google it...

According to some of the places selling them one could get 5psi on a 1600cc motor if driven 2:1 so that you don't exceed max rpm of the supercharger which is 18000max or 16000 continuous...not sure that the redline of a 1.7 is?

Perhaps run 2 of them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It would still seem smarter or more ideal to use an Eaton supercharger from a small Mercedes or Mazda(?)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:19 AM