Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> push rod tube seals
ruddyboys
post Jul 20 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Hummel eigentümer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

My old pushrod tube "O" rings were very loose fitting on the head size (red) the block side were tight. Picked up a new set from the Bird and the fit the same, loose at the head end. When I tried to install them the ring would pull out and curl under the lip. Why? I have the old set, should I try the black ones on top too. '70 1.7 now 2056
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 20 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I you have early pushrod tubes and later heads, this'll be a problem. Early heads took a smaller OD on the outer end. Different seals, too. HTH, The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 20 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #3

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

yep, capn is right. The early 1.7 had 1mm smaller P/R tubes and the bores in the heads are also diferent. The case is the same however..

You can bore the heads for larger tubes and solve the issue, else you'll have to have the correct seals which are NLA as far as I know.. I'd use the old seals and seal them up with my teflon sealant..
+Quote Post
Toast
post Jul 20 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #4

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you have alunimum push rod tubes, they are probably no longer any good.

I had push rod tubes in my 1776 VW engine. From what I was told happened to mine, after time of heating and cooling, they eventually expand and dont hold the seals properly anymore. Which was why mine were leaking so bad.

But then again, who said VW mechanics knew what they were talking about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jul 20 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

What is a good Teflon sealant, does it come in a tube?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 20 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 20 2004, 01:03 PM)
I had push rod tubes in my 1776 VW engine.

Different animals. The Type I pushrod tubes get sandwiched between the head and the case, which means you have to remove the cylinder head to replace the pushrod tube seals. (Or use one of the collapsible tubes, like they do on 911s.) The ends of the Type I tubes are "accordioned" to provide some pressure to keep the tube ends against the head and case when the engine expands.

The Type IV engine has tubes that simply slide through the head and into the case bores. They do not have any "accordion" section, and don't need to expand with heat. That's why we have O-rings that slide along their bores, to allow for that expansion.

--DD
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jul 20 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

Speaking of the seals and Pelican... I just got one of their gasket sets and there are two different seals, a set of green ones for one side and a set of black for the small end. I also have a complete set of the red ones I got last month from Pelican.

Jake says in his video that the green ones are the best . Any advice on what I have? Will the teflon sealant override any faults with the seals?

Thanks all,

Peter
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:17 AM