Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: push rod tube seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
My old pushrod tube "O" rings were very loose fitting on the head size (red) the block side were tight. Picked up a new set from the Bird and the fit the same, loose at the head end. When I tried to install them the ring would pull out and curl under the lip. Why? I have the old set, should I try the black ones on top too. '70 1.7 now 2056
Cap'n Krusty
I you have early pushrod tubes and later heads, this'll be a problem. Early heads took a smaller OD on the outer end. Different seals, too. HTH, The Cap'n
Jake Raby
yep, capn is right. The early 1.7 had 1mm smaller P/R tubes and the bores in the heads are also diferent. The case is the same however..

You can bore the heads for larger tubes and solve the issue, else you'll have to have the correct seals which are NLA as far as I know.. I'd use the old seals and seal them up with my teflon sealant..
Toast
If you have alunimum push rod tubes, they are probably no longer any good.

I had push rod tubes in my 1776 VW engine. From what I was told happened to mine, after time of heating and cooling, they eventually expand and dont hold the seals properly anymore. Which was why mine were leaking so bad.

But then again, who said VW mechanics knew what they were talking about. smash.gif
ruddyboys
What is a good Teflon sealant, does it come in a tube?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Toast @ Jul 20 2004, 01:03 PM)
I had push rod tubes in my 1776 VW engine.

Different animals. The Type I pushrod tubes get sandwiched between the head and the case, which means you have to remove the cylinder head to replace the pushrod tube seals. (Or use one of the collapsible tubes, like they do on 911s.) The ends of the Type I tubes are "accordioned" to provide some pressure to keep the tube ends against the head and case when the engine expands.

The Type IV engine has tubes that simply slide through the head and into the case bores. They do not have any "accordion" section, and don't need to expand with heat. That's why we have O-rings that slide along their bores, to allow for that expansion.

--DD
newdeal2
Speaking of the seals and Pelican... I just got one of their gasket sets and there are two different seals, a set of green ones for one side and a set of black for the small end. I also have a complete set of the red ones I got last month from Pelican.

Jake says in his video that the green ones are the best . Any advice on what I have? Will the teflon sealant override any faults with the seals?

Thanks all,

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.