Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front trunk Floor pan, Progress thread
peteyd
post Mar 19 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Niklas @ Mar 19 2012, 12:01 PM) *

When will this part be ready to buy?
Will you make different parts of it or just all of it ?
have you any ideas about the price ?

Niklas

Its hard to tell when the part will be ready. Tonight I will change the tool, and then it will run for 173 hours straight. Then probably another 50 hours with a smaller tool to get in the tight radiuses. After that, 2 weeks of polishing. I still have to make a drawpad, drawings are in the beginning of the thread if you missed that piece. I also have to make feet for the die to sit on and mill holes in the mounting plate of the male for the nitrogen cylinders to fit through. This probably doesn't make any sense to most of you guys, so I will document it all. After all is finished, then there is still the blank development stage, and most likely spots on the die that are still too tight, which will need to be polished more. It is hard to estimate, but maybe another 2 months. Not all my time is focused on this one die currently, there are several that I work on constantly.

I have finished the drawings for the corner reinforcement pieces that fit on the pan too. The steel is ordered, so I can start milling that die out once that arrives.

I have not figured out a price yet either. I was toying with the idea of an initial sale that would be a reduced price from the final one, just so everyone here watching the progress could take advantage.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Mar 19 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #102

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 19 2012, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Mar 19 2012, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 AM) *

How about a prestamped hell hole liner (battery side) ?? ....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Im not quite sure what you mean. All the pieces for that area are being made currently.

Maybe others can chime in but IMO the greater part of most 914s have 'hell hole' corrosion. Mine has the superficial liner completely gone.

this is the spot;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=hell++hole

There is a kit but it is all flat pieces that needs welding and fabrication in and of itself.

If there was a preshaped piece that droped in and spot welded or riveted in place ............ then seam sealed and painted .......... that would be the ticket!!!!!

It would be small and you would sell A LOT of them!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I did a quick 'title' search for hell hole and got three pages worth right off the bat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Please never rivet a piece of sheet metal over existing rust ! It would only make the problem worse.

I do sell these pieces though, which piece still needs to be made?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 19 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

^^^ The 'attaching' of any replacement panels would take place AFTER the rusted portion(s) are cut out or addressed ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) ......... the corrosion on mine has yet to compromise any structural member.

That P319 'shelf' is part of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ............. I guess I can use a flat piece to splice in the remaining bottom portion (top of long) ............... thanks!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 19 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #104

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

We need a piece that covers 351, same shape , no corrugations.

Just like 331 has an inner stiffer/doubler.
Your 351 is actually the inner stifnfer/doubler for a smooth out layer, that faces the motor.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1625821

shows what is needed, a piece to double the current offering.

Ina 914 this inner piece shown only goes half way across and the outer piece spans across with the flange up. against the battery tray wall. another layer would not hurt. jeff

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 26 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 10,019

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 19 2012, 06:02 PM) *

We need a piece that covers 351, same shape , no corrugations.

Just like 331 has an inner stiffer/doubler.
Your 351 is actually the inner stifnfer/doubler for a smooth out layer, that faces the motor.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1625821

shows what is needed, a piece to double the current offering.

Ina 914 this inner piece shown only goes half way across and the outer piece spans across with the flange up. against the battery tray wall. another layer would not hurt. jeff
I get it now ........ you are correct ......... the top part I am gonna 'splice in' on mine, would be the top part of a non corrugated inner long (which is not yet made?), a 'beauty cover' so to speak. Which would double onto the corrugated one in the pictures above. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

peteyd ....... how about some steel rocker 'ends' for GT flares?? modeled after the getty fiberglass versions .. maybe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Mar 27 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #106

After 175 hours, this is what the die looks like...

Attached Image

You can see where I changed the carbide insert for the cutter. I changed it about every 12 hours and used 12 inserts. Obviously some of the inserts were used longer than that, but 12 hours is what I found was a good time to make a change.

The longer I leave one in, the more polishing I need to do to blend all the surfaces.

The outer edge was done with a larger 1.25" ballnose cutter and had a larger stepover too, so that is why it looks rougher and less shiny.

You can see here how the insert wears.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
peteyd
post Mar 27 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #107

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 26 2012, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 19 2012, 06:02 PM) *

I get it now ........ you are correct ......... the top part I am gonna splice in on mine, would be the top part of a non corrugated inner long (which is not yet made?), a 'beauty cover' so to speak. Whuich would double onto the corrugated one in the pictures above. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

peteyd ....... how about some steel rocker ends for GT flares?? modeled after the getty fiberglass versions .. maybe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Your right, that part is not yet made. I guess I will have to make that in the future too eh?

Steel rocker ends would be nice, I agree. But it all comes down to the demand again. I just dont see enough people wanting these when the fibreglass ones are made and would be cheaper than the steel.

I could be wrong though. You guys keep telling me what I should make, and I appreciate that. It helps me gauge the demand for these parts and helps me decide if it will be profitable for RD.
+Quote Post
ape914
post Mar 27 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #108

red locktite

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 12,676

QUOTE(RON S. @ Oct 11 2011, 03:01 PM) *

It is sometimes simply amazing to me how lucky we are to be living in the age we are right now.

The older guys that made that original stamping back in 69 had to do it the hard way. Massive Calculations, wooden bucks, manual machining.

Today we have Faro & Romer arms to digitize parts in hours, Solidworks to convert the digitizing to raster modeling in minutes, Edgecam & Mastercam to convert the modeling to machine programming in hours, and 5,6, & 7 axis cnc machining centers to take a 3-4'' block of steel, and turn it into a usable die set in a matter of days.

Beautiful Pete,
Thanks for taking the risk on this, as I'm sure there are a lotta 914's needing this piece. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Ron

They had numerical controlled machine tools well before 1969. I used to run with one that used paper punch tape for the memory. Either the light beam passed thru a hole, or it was blocked by solid paper (no hole). The photo diode picked up the light or lack of light and that was how it was coded. Long spools of paper tape (one inch wide) were used. This was 1960's technology!

Of course they may have used a tracer mill, where a wood or plaster form is made the same shape as the desired part, and then a stylus is moved over the surface of the form, the milling maching copied the path of the stylus on the metal part to be machined. This was all done with mechanical linkages and arms. This is even older technology.

It was not so bad back in 1969, remember that's when we actually could send a man to the moon, much more than we can do today.

+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 31 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #109

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Any update on this item?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Niklas
post Jun 1 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #110

Porsche 914 Sweden

Member No.: 10,488
Region Association: Scandinavia

Yes I am also looking for news on this part.
Are you going to sell just the hole part or can we buy the part just under the lights ?

Niklas
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jun 1 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #111

Alright you asked for it,

I am machining the drawpad as I type this. It is running the finishing pass, and then I have to cut out the slug in the center.

The reason I did things in this order, is so I can clamp the piece to the table. I have two dowels holding the piece from twisting and then two clamps in the center. After the machining is done on the outside, I will put clamps on the exterior and cut out the slug in the middle.

I circled the dowel positions in red

Attached Image
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jun 1 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #112

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Niklas
post Jun 17 2012, 05:47 AM
Post #113

Porsche 914 Sweden

Any update on this ?
I need this part for my car.

Niklas
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 17 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #114

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have finished the drawings for the corner reinforcement pieces that fit on the pan too. The steel is ordered, so I can start milling that die out once that arrives.

Thank You, after following this auction ,It made me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 17 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #115

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pete slight OT but is the Eng. bar mount (particularly the Passenger side) for a /4 available as a reproduction?
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jun 17 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #116

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 17 2012, 08:42 AM) *

Thank You, after following this auction ,It made me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Almost done this piece. Had the die in the press, but was getting some wrinkling. So a little bit of an adjustment, and we should have these ready soon.
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jun 17 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #117

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 17 2012, 12:11 PM) *

Pete slight OT but is the Eng. bar mount (particularly the L. Passenger side) for a /4 available as a reproduction?

We currently do not make the engine mounting bracket for either side yet. I guess that will have to be made too eh?

Pete
+Quote Post
shuie
post Jun 17 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 2,075

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jun 17 2012, 05:09 PM) *

Almost done this piece. Had the die in the press, but was getting some wrinkling. So a little bit of an adjustment, and we should have these ready soon.

The corner piece or the pan? Or, everything? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jun 17 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #119

QUOTE(shuie @ Jun 17 2012, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jun 17 2012, 05:09 PM) *

The corner piece or the pan? Or, everything? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

The corner piece, but the pan die will be going into the press this week. Hopefully we will get a good part first stamping, but it never really seems to go that easily.
+Quote Post
Niklas
post Jun 18 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #120

Porsche 914 Sweden

Yes we are looking forward to see the parts.
Do you know what the prices will be ?

Niklas
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:49 PM