Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk Floor pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
peteyd
Alright, I spoke a while back that I was going to start producing the Front trunk pan. I already have all the steel and all the CAD work done, so all I need to do is prep the steel and start cutting!

I wanted to start a thread here for all to follow the progress and also to get a better idea of what goes on at Restoration Design. I am the one in charge of designing and making all the dies here for the 914, 911, 912, and 356's. I have only made two small dies( pedal cluster support, seat mount bracket) for the 914 so far so I wanted to make something else that was in need.

I started with an NOS full floor pan. The one that runs from the firewall all the way to the front trunk pan. Brought that away to get a digital scan and then from there I designed the male and female halves of the die.

Click to view attachment
peteyd
First the drawings of the Female die

Click to view attachment

and the Male die

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Why is this in the sandbox??? confused24.gif
Moved to the Garage.

And please, don't use BMP images. They don't show on webpages. Use JPG or PNG instead ...

bye1.gif
lrm914
Awesome!

I always wondered what the large holes in the bottom of the car floors and trunks are for. When I was doing some repainting in the front trunk of my car a circular cover that fit over 1 of the 2 holes in the bottom of the front trunk came off. It appeared to be siliconed over the hole. Any idea what they are for? I was just going to silicon the metal circle back in the place it came from. The holes are circular but have what look like some sort small tabs cutout on them as well.

SirAndy
QUOTE(lrm914 @ Sep 27 2011, 12:43 PM) *
Any idea what they are for?

Best guess would be for the spot-welding robot arms to go through to get into the corners.

popcorn[1].gif
dlee6204
Cool! aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
peteyd
Just so you guys can picture what will be happening...

the female first

Cut with 4.5 inch face mill then cut with 1.5 inch bullnose

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

next 1.25inch ballnose and then finish off with .5 inch ballnose

peteyd
Male half...

Pretty much the same tools as the female.

And also the drawpad...

Click to view attachment
Loser_Cruiser
This is pretty awesome. Any chance you'll ever create the whole piece as one( front trunk pan, front rear pans)?
Valy
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

The only thing I need now is rust! laugh.gif

rick 918-S
Very nice!
zymurgist
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
peteyd
I dont have a press that can handle a die that large, and that die would cost way too much money to be justified.

QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Sep 27 2011, 12:19 PM) *

This is pretty awesome. Any chance you'll ever create the whole piece as one( front trunk pan, front rear pans)?

MrHyde
I'm going to have to swing by and check this out sometime ... I know of a certain orange 72' body shell that could use some steel where the A/C condenser hole is.. biggrin.gif

aktion035.gif
A&PGirl
Very nice. smilie_pokal.gif

boogie_man
Awesome work !!! How about a lower windshield cowl, any chance ??
veltror
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 27 2011, 09:40 PM) *

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

The only thing I need now is rust! laugh.gif

Rust, have some of mine...
rallysport70
This really is awesome. Thanks for helping us keep some neat, old cars on the road. Keep up the good work! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
WOW is all I can say. I just love to see that these parts are made and available to save our cars. BRAVO!
FourBlades

That is fantastic...I am sure you will sell many of these because they do rust a
lot here. Having new front suspension attachment points will be really nice on
rusty and front hit cars.

John
BajaXJ92
Wow! Count me in for a front trunk floorpan! first.gif
peteyd
Did some prep work on the blocks of steal so I can more easily move them around.

First drill pilot holes

Click to view attachment

next drill

Click to view attachment

Then counter sink

Click to view attachment

Finally tap...

Click to view attachment

peteyd
Now I can move them onto the mill and drill and power tap all the mounting holes.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
zymurgist
Wow, how much does that thing weigh?
injunmort
i will surely be in for one for my '73. really nice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Sep 28 2011, 06:23 AM) *
Having new front suspension attachment points will be really nice on rusty and front hit cars.

I don't think the front suspension mounts are part of this as they are spot-welded onto the bottom of the actual floor pan.

Also, it looks like the double (triple?) layer reinforcement for the suspension mounting on the inside of the trunk is not part of this.

shades.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Sep 28 2011, 09:18 AM) *

Wow, how much does that thing weigh?

The larger piece is around 2300lbs and the smaller piece is around 2000lbs. I have a magnet that is capable of lifting the smaller one, but I don't feel safe doing that.

As for the suspension mounts, those will come in time. First I will stamp out the floor pan. Then I need to make a restrike die that will fold the outer edges up in the front and the edges on the side down.

trojanhorsepower
Very cool.

Thanks for sharing.
shuie
Awesome. Do you have a target date for getting these to market?
peteyd
QUOTE(shuie @ Sep 29 2011, 03:25 PM) *

Awesome. Do you have a target date for getting these to market?

Ahhh, I new the question would come up at some point. biggrin.gif

I dont have a target date on when the die is going to be finished. I should have one half on the mill for the end of next week, and then that will take nearly two weeks of milling IIRC. Even after the die comes off the mill, it still needs to be polished, which will take another 2 weeks. There are other dies that I am constantly working on, so there might be another die that has greater priority after this one half is done.

Pete
shuie
Pete, thanks for sharing this with us. I am really blown away by what you have to do to get something like a front pan into production. This is a tremendous amount of work. It's really pretty awesome to see the die as a raw block of steel. I'm just excited to learn that RD is doing this.
peteyd
I am glad to share this with everyone. I have loved the 914s since I first saw them when I was 14. It was a Silver 914/6 that was in a road and track magazine I think. I never would have dreamed that 12 years later I would be stamping out Porsche parts and working on keeping these cars on the road. Although my car has yet to see the road. Thats been a work in progress since i was 18...
peteyd
Loading the steal...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have to clean up an edge on both X and Y axis to ensure that I can accurately pick up the coordinates, and also indicate the edge so I know the block is on the table straight.

Click to view attachment

Picking up the coordinates with my edge finder.

Click to view attachment

I drilled and countersunk all the holes, now Im ready to tap.

Click to view attachment
peteyd
Little video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osaKR0WQdfc
peteyd
Got some work done yesterday, and set the steel up. Indicated the edges and made sure it was straight.

Click to view attachment

The 1.5" bullnose cutter has been running for around 15 hours.

This is where we are at currently. Another couple hours and we can move onto the 1" ballnose cutter

Click to view attachment
BajaXJ92
aktion035.gif
peteyd
OK, came back to work later on. There was a massive amount of chips this afternoon, so I pause the mill to clear them all. This is the amount of chips that there were when it finished.

Click to view attachment

And here we are from above...

Click to view attachment

Now I can start the 1" ballnose. It will be finished by the morning so I can fire up the .5" ballnose. That should run for the rest of the weekend on the finishing pass which has a stepover of .003.

Click to view attachment
shuie
amazing.
dlee6204
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! beerchug.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Oct 6 2011, 10:35 PM) *

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! beerchug.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif
injunmort
totally awesome, really impressive process

peteyd
piratenanner.gif

The 1" ballnose finished with no glitches.

Click to view attachment

The .5" ballnose will run for 180 hrs. Good thing its Canadian Thankgiving this weekend! Taking the rest of the day off and Relaxin at the cottage!

Click to view attachment
mikea100
Great work! Any chance of making those from galvanized steel for better rust protection?
peteyd
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Oct 7 2011, 07:30 AM) *

Great work! Any chance of making those from galvanized steel for better rust protection?

All of our panels are made using galvanneal. I will let Wikipedia better explain what that process is...

Galvannealed or galvanneal is the result from the combined process of galvanizing and annealing to produce specialized sheets of steel. The galvanization is made through the hot-dipping (Hot-dip galvanizing) process and gives a very fine greyish matte finish. Galvanneal does not flake off its galvanized coating when formed, stamped, and bent. The very fine matte finish acts like a primer, allowing paint to adhere easily, and is very rust proof; only white to dark grey marks appear if it comes in contact with water. Galvanneal sheets offer good paintability, weldability, corrosion resistance, and formability. It is extensively used in the automotive, signage, electric equipment, and other industries requiring a metal with good paintability and long reliable service life. This steel process is produced by many steel mills and it is commonly referred by its trade name of Jet-Kote.
peteyd
headbang.gif

The power must have gone out this weekend some time between saturday night and sunday morning!

Lost some time! headbang.gif

oh well, stromberg.gif happens. I started it back up on the opposite side, so hopefully it will be done by the beginning of next weekend

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
This is freakin insane!!!! Thank you for sharing the pics!!!!! smile.gif
sixnotfour
Great Work
RON S.

It is sometimes simply amazing to me how lucky we are to be living in the age we are right now.

The older guys that made that original stamping back in 69 had to do it the hard way. Massive Calculations, wooden bucks, manual machining.

Today we have Faro & Romer arms to digitize parts in hours, Solidworks to convert the digitizing to raster modeling in minutes, Edgecam & Mastercam to convert the modeling to machine programming in hours, and 5,6, & 7 axis cnc machining centers to take a 3-4'' block of steel, and turn it into a usable die set in a matter of days.

Beautiful Pete,
Thanks for taking the risk on this, as I'm sure there are a lotta 914's needing this piece. thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif

Ron
zymurgist
Wow!

Babydoll is going to need one of these pieces, so I'm extra happy about what you're doing!
Eric_Shea
Make Flares! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.