Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk Floor pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
lotus_65
I need one!
peteyd
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Sep 2 2012, 05:14 AM) *

Just thought I'd pop this pic up on the world... New front trunk pan A/C patch welded in. Droped right in. smile.gif

Thanks for putting that up Mike!

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 4 2012, 10:48 AM) *

I need one!

Give us a call!
SirAndy
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Sep 2 2012, 06:14 AM) *

Just thought I'd pop this pic up on the world... New front trunk pan A/C patch welded in. Droped right in. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 4 2012, 03:00 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
lotus_65

I need one!

Give us a call!

Ok! I went to the site before and didn't see anything listed. Calling in a bit...
peteyd
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 5 2012, 11:18 AM) *

I need one!

Give us a call!

Ok! I went to the site before and didn't see anything listed. Calling in a bit...

I sold the one and only i had to MrHyde, but the die will be going back in the press next week. With only one 500 ton press, there are a lot of dies that need that much tonnage to make a crisp part, so sometimes there is a line up. We did some more grinding on the die to make a better part, so hopefully we can start a production run. Im assuming you only need the AC cutout, so I can definitely get you one of those next week regardless if it is still not perfect.
seanery
great work Pete! smilie_pokal.gif

How long will your die last? I ask this because I saw a show about the Denver mint and their nickel presses have their dies replaced at least once a week! ohmy.gif

thanks! smash.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 5 2012, 03:19 PM) *

great work Pete! smilie_pokal.gif

How long will your die last? I ask this because I saw a show about the Denver mint and their nickel presses have their dies replaced at least once a week! ohmy.gif

thanks! smash.gif

Thanks Sean,

Wow, once a week! They must be making a lot of money there! The die should last for at least ten thousand hits. Probably will never even stamp that many
peteyd
double post...
peteyd
We are almost there! I think we will have a good wrinkle free stamp by the end of the week. There is still work to be done on the laser trimmer and then the edges to be folded up.

Here is a picture of what we have to do to check all the tight spots for clearance.
We first stamp two small sections of sheet metal where we know there is no tight spots. Then we place small pieces of lead(solder strips) on the die in several spots. Shut the press with full 500 tonnes and then measure the thickness of each piece of lead to determine where more polishing needs to be done.

You can see where the tight spots are written in marker. It varies from .029-.049 I know that it doesn't seem like much, but .20 will keep the die from shutting fully and thus cause our wrinkling.

Click to view attachment
Niklas
Hi!

What will the price be when you start to sell the part ?

Niklas
peteyd
QUOTE(Niklas @ Oct 1 2012, 10:01 AM) *

Hi!

What will the price be when you start to sell the part ?

Niklas

The pan will probably be around $325
jcd914
What is the clearance you are looking for?

Jim

peteyd
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 1 2012, 08:19 PM) *

What is the clearance you are looking for?

Jim

I'm looking for clearance of around .042

The sheet metal we have right now is .040, but who is to say it wont be .048 next time. There is always a variance between each roll, and each roll is not always consistent either. We buy rolls of steel that have been rejected by Ford, GM, Toyota etc... The steel is very good quality, just sometimes it doesn't meet the prime standards that these companies can demand.
Niklas
Are these ready to buy ??

Niklas
peteyd
These are almost ready to buy! I just finished milling out a die to bend the edges. They still need to be trimmed as well.

The A/C cut out patch is available now, its the full piece with both "ears" that still needs some work.

I will post some pictures tomorrow...

Pete

zymurgist
Cool! Babydoll needs one of these.
peteyd
Ok, I said I would add more photos.

This picture is the hammerform that I finished off on Friday.

Click to view attachment

Just testing the form on the sides. I still have to put clamps on to hold the sheetmetal flat.

Click to view attachment

Here is the front edge being hammered. I trimmed too much metal off of the front edge so there wasnt much to hammer.

Click to view attachment

And here is the laser that will be trimming all of the parts. I will have some footage of that soon as well.

Click to view attachment
Niklas
Looking good!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Niklas
jimbot2000
Oh, do I need this!
barada
MAn that is some very nice work. Are you looking into other cars? Woudl love to see someone else get into the Split Bus scene.

Keep up the good work, glad to see guys doing what they can to keep these cars on the road.

Phillip
Gint
Far out! smilie_pokal.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(barada @ Dec 16 2012, 06:25 AM) *

MAn that is some very nice work. Are you looking into other cars? Woudl love to see someone else get into the Split Bus scene.

Keep up the good work, glad to see guys doing what they can to keep these cars on the road.

Phillip

There always needs to be an assessment of the market. Is there not much available for the split buses, or is the quality not that great? There are tons of guys making stuff for the VWs, so we are a little wary of that market. VWs guys tend to be more price sensitive as well. We are striving to make quality panels, and once we have a good stronghold on the Porsche panels, we will be looking into other makes and models.

Pete
Dasnowman

I'll have to look at my front pan but it looks like a tow truck lifted the car by the front pan tow hook and bent it all in!
barada
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 17 2012, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(barada @ Dec 16 2012, 06:25 AM) *

Phillip

There always needs to be an assessment of the market. Is there not much available for the split buses, or is the quality not that great? There are tons of guys making stuff for the VWs, so we are a little wary of that market. VWs guys tend to be more price sensitive as well. We are striving to make quality panels, and once we have a good stronghold on the Porsche panels, we will be looking into other makes and models.

Pete

Pete,

There are several manufactors. Klassic FAb, and Autocraft are the leaders. And yes VW guys are sensitive. VW Bus guys are not, especially barndoor but I imagine demand is low. Autocraft quality is pretty good but they are out of europe, so U.S. prices are high. Klassic Fab is ok although I have spent more time fitting their panels than Autocraft.
What they do not have is a full nose, which in my experience would be a fast mover and likely would be a name your price part. A front floor is around 300-350. Compared to what you are making it looks simple. A full cargo floor is 650 and neither company never has product on hand.
I have bought metal for bugs (very cheap and decent quality) and bus's (IMO not so cheap.) I have over 3K in metal for one bus.
I just have dealt with you guys before and the pressing and quality was very good so I thought flat metal for buses would be an easy fit. Especially front floor corners and rocker panels.
Here is a comparison thread on the two.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478200
Phillip

Niklas
Can I order ?

Niklas
peteyd
Im on holidays still, but will be back on Monday. Im pretty sure they are cutting them out today on the laser cutter. Should be ready very soon!
FL000
I am interested in ordering an A/C patch. Let me know the details if you have one available.

Thanks,
Josh
peteyd
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Jan 12 2013, 10:21 AM) *

I am interested in ordering an A/C patch. Let me know the details if you have one available.

Thanks,
Josh

The A/C patch panels are available currently.

Give me a call at 519-836-3555

or visit the website to order online.

click the link below
McMark
agree.gif busses are willing to spend more. My paint guy just got word that the 23 window he painted a few month ago just sold for $180,000. yikes.gif
peteyd
Its hard to believe that I started this thread more than a year ago. I bet it seems even longer to those that have been waiting to purchase one for their car. Alas, we are finally done. I have the laser trimming the rest of them out today.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

And for your viewing pleasure, I will still post a video of the laser trimming the pan.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Congratulations! THat is so freakin' cool. Thank you for making these for our little cars.
MrHyde
Well done !
peteyd
Here is the video of the pan being trimmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q59cucGBVI

cary
Nice .................just glad I don't need one. LOL.
natebg
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 16 2013, 07:59 AM) *

Here is the video of the pan being trimmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q59cucGBVI

Ordered mine. Thank you!
bgconsul
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 15 2013, 01:57 PM) *

Its hard to believe that I started this thread more than a year ago. I bet it seems even longer to those that have been waiting to purchase one for their car. Alas, we are finally done. I have the laser trimming the rest of them out today.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

And for your viewing pleasure, I will still post a video of the laser trimming the pan.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hello ,
I sent you a PM today for your trunk pan.
Thanks
peteyd
QUOTE(bgconsul @ Apr 3 2013, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Jan 15 2013, 01:57 PM) *

Hello ,
I sent you a PM today for your trunk pan.
Thanks

replied
Niklas
Can make just the part under the lights ? Left and right ?

Niklas
rick 918-S
Lasers are Cool! wub.gif Nice!
Cairo94507
Man.... I wish my car needed a front pan just because that is so darn nice. Really I am happy not to have to replace my pan - but that is a beautiful part and you should be very proud of your work. Thanks so much for supporting these cars so we have parts to put on them.

Any chance you can whip out a couple of front fenders????? (just joking)
peteyd
Niklas,

yes we offer that part under the headlights.

P337CL/CR

check out the website

QUOTE(Niklas @ Apr 4 2013, 11:35 AM) *

Can make just the part under the lights ? Left and right ?

Niklas

peteyd
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 4 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Man.... I wish my car needed a front pan just because that is so darn nice. Really I am happy not to have to replace my pan - but that is a beautiful part and you should be very proud of your work. Thanks so much for supporting these cars so we have parts to put on them.

Any chance you can whip out a couple of front fenders????? (just joking)

Thanks Mike,

and I will get on those fenders right away! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
zymurgist
Are you coming to Hershey? I'd love it if you could bring one with you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.