Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please explain differences in Boxer, Cayman, and Suby motors, curious about which is which, and also reliability
Joe Owensby
post Sep 29 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #1

JoeO

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

I saw a recent notice by Jake that leads me to wonder about the reliability of the engines in the boxer, and cayman. Sounds like these engines have issues. Is that so? Also, I often see references to a Subaru boxer engine. How do these engines compare to the Porsche engines. Just trying to understand. Thanks, JoeO
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 29 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

All you have to do is Google IMS Bearing Failure or Porsche Engine Failure. The engines are great after they are reconstructed and assembled by a Human and not a Robot.

LN Engineering and my company have worked together to pioneer the development of the reliability and performance internal modifications to keep these engines alive..

See this month's Excellence Magazine page 131 for the way we have saved the entire M96 engine family.

The Subaru is a completely different breed and you'll see what we have been doing with those very soon :-)

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Sep 29 2011, 06:41 PM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Sep 29 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Subarus do have a reputation for good, sturdy engines that run quite problem free. The newer turbo engines probably have more problems as they are much more highly stressed, but generally considered reliable.

The Boxster/Cayman engines can be fine power plants, but they do have some issues that can lead to quite expensive repairs. See the newest Excellance magazine for a nice article on their engine problems.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 07:11 AM