Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please explain differences in Boxer, Cayman, and Suby motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I saw a recent notice by Jake that leads me to wonder about the reliability of the engines in the boxer, and cayman. Sounds like these engines have issues. Is that so? Also, I often see references to a Subaru boxer engine. How do these engines compare to the Porsche engines. Just trying to understand. Thanks, JoeO
Jake Raby
All you have to do is Google IMS Bearing Failure or Porsche Engine Failure. The engines are great after they are reconstructed and assembled by a Human and not a Robot.

LN Engineering and my company have worked together to pioneer the development of the reliability and performance internal modifications to keep these engines alive..

See this month's Excellence Magazine page 131 for the way we have saved the entire M96 engine family.

The Subaru is a completely different breed and you'll see what we have been doing with those very soon :-)
GeorgeRud
Subarus do have a reputation for good, sturdy engines that run quite problem free. The newer turbo engines probably have more problems as they are much more highly stressed, but generally considered reliable.

The Boxster/Cayman engines can be fine power plants, but they do have some issues that can lead to quite expensive repairs. See the newest Excellance magazine for a nice article on their engine problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.