Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> some in car vid from an open track day Friday, been awhile, thought I would drop by...
byndbad914
post Oct 2 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #1

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

Took some video of an open track day this last Friday. There are three of my most consistent, fastest laps to date, all in the 1:55s. I ran one 1:55 the last time I went out with consistent 1:57s after I put some old radials I had laying around on the car from a couple years back, so I got the most out of them the last track day. This time they held on for about 4 laps in the morning, and then just got greasier and greasier as the track and the day warmed up.

So I have three clean laps back to back at the beginning, a slightly slower overall time lap as the fourth but there was some neat traffic so I left it in and it was my fastest shot down the bobsled to hell and sliding back up the hill, then some footage of traffic to see some cars, general bloopers and random chaos.

And then I realized upon editing that I left the camera on when I finished, so I got a bunch of footage of various folks coming up and asking questions, talking about the car when they thought I couldn't hear which is always funny, but I threw in one snippet of a corner worker that worked down in that area I would go sliding through and the open wheeler spins.

The springs are getting stiff enough that I know I have to get the right camber set on the car, some new radials, then monkey with tire pressures. I suspect that I am in the "1/2 psi makes a big difference" spring rate range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8SkOZVLBs
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Oct 2 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,430
Region Association: Northern California

bad-ass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

your teener sounds awesome! thanks for sharing the clip. you're feeding the "i'd like to try a 914 w/ a v8" bug going around the forum!

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 2 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #3

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 2 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #4

thanks guys. It has been a long road of iterating and still going for that matter, but at least it has been consistently going the right way to faster and faster times over the last year or so. Two years ago I was struggling to run much faster than a 2:02, more like 2:05s at that track, so getting down to 1:55s has been a good thing. If I can manage to shave off 2 more seconds I will be running with the modern GT2 Porsche Cup cars in the :53s so that is my current goal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 2 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 2 2011, 05:57 PM) *
If I can manage to shave off 2 more seconds I will be running with the modern GT2 Porsche Cup cars in the :53s so that is my current goal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well, it's always easy to critique while sitting behind the computer and you did say you were on old tires, but if there's anything i saw in your video that might result in some improvement i would say you've left a few seconds in those big sweepers where you were coasting for what felt like forever.
Not sure what brakes you run but i think a somewhat more aggressive route through those would net you a few 10ths.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Hey, you asked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 3 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #6

haha, yeah, I hear you. I actually need to mess with my bias bar a bit on the brake system, I had it adjusted for the most front brake I could get and it still has a little too much rear brake so I actually spun it the last time out going into turn 4 after the long straight when I tried going deeper into the zone and step a bit harder on them. I can see what I need to change to get a bit more front bias so that is on my list of winter projects now.
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Oct 4 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #7

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 2 2011, 11:30 AM) *

Took some video of an open track day this last Friday. There are three of my most consistent, fastest laps to date, all in the 1:55s. I ran one 1:55 the last time I went out with consistent 1:57s after I put some old radials I had laying around on the car from a couple years back, so I got the most out of them the last track day. This time they held on for about 4 laps in the morning, and then just got greasier and greasier as the track and the day warmed up.

So I have three clean laps back to back at the beginning, a slightly slower overall time lap as the fourth but there was some neat traffic so I left it in and it was my fastest shot down the bobsled to hell and sliding back up the hill, then some footage of traffic to see some cars, general bloopers and random chaos.

And then I realized upon editing that I left the camera on when I finished, so I got a bunch of footage of various folks coming up and asking questions, talking about the car when they thought I couldn't hear which is always funny, but I threw in one snippet of a corner worker that worked down in that area I would go sliding through and the open wheeler spins.

The springs are getting stiff enough that I know I have to get the right camber set on the car, some new radials, then monkey with tire pressures. I suspect that I am in the "1/2 psi makes a big difference" spring rate range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8SkOZVLBs

Hey Tim,

I forgot, what is the track you were running and how long is it? It's looks like a kick to drive, I'll have to look it up on the web.

BTW: Not only is your car getting faster, YOU are too! I'm enjoying watching you bring up the pace while being very smooth! Way to Go!

Terry
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 4 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Hey Tim...

That car is really working well, love the power and love the transmission. The sequential just seems so smooth.

You are going a bunch faster out there, no question. Your driving ability is continuing to improve as well.

If you sort out the brakes allowing yourself to go a bit deeper into those corners your going to be really happy with the time.

Wanta do a hill climb in Oregon next year? I'm going to do a couple.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 4 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #9

Terry - the full course you see me running there is 2.55 miles. It is a pretty technical course actually, so pretty hard to get the car sorted for it - there are two tight turns as you can tell, then some mid speed ones, and a couple fast ones, so finding the right mix of suspension settings to get the best of all worlds has been some work. I have been keeping track of the suspension frequency as I try different springs and right now it appears if the frequency of the front is around 94-96% of the rear, the car is pretty neutral overall with easy on-throttle oversteer to whip out of the slow turns.

Randal - would love to do a hill climb, if they pave Pike's Peak all the way to the top I will definitely run it, but Oregon would be a stretch for me to drive.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 7 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 4 2011, 02:07 PM) *

Terry - the full course you see me running there is 2.55 miles. It is a pretty technical course actually, so pretty hard to get the car sorted for it - there are two tight turns as you can tell, then some mid speed ones, and a couple fast ones, so finding the right mix of suspension settings to get the best of all worlds has been some work. I have been keeping track of the suspension frequency as I try different springs and right now it appears if the frequency of the front is around 94-96% of the rear, the car is pretty neutral overall with easy on-throttle oversteer to whip out of the slow turns.

Randal - would love to do a hill climb, if they pave Pike's Peak all the way to the top I will definitely run it, but Oregon would be a stretch for me to drive.

How far to Boise, ID or Polaris, MT?

"We do this strictly for fun and we stress FUN. Prize money is not involved, only bragging rights, and the class trophy at the end of the year. Presently there are six hillclimbs sanctioned by the Northwest Hillclimb Association. They are Cascade Lakes (Ashland, OR), Freeze Out (Emmet, ID), Larrison Rock (Oakridge, OR), Bible Creek (Sheridan, OR), Bogus Basin (Boise, ID), and, now, Pioneer Mountain (Polaris, MT)."
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 8 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #11

they are definitely closer, but with the cost of fuel and so forth, I have been sticking close to home on everything. The local track I am running is about 60 miles or so from my house, so that is a nice short jaunt over there.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 8 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 8 2011, 01:34 PM) *

they are definitely closer, but with the cost of fuel and so forth, I have been sticking close to home on everything. The local track I am running is about 60 miles or so from my house, so that is a nice short jaunt over there.

It just drives me crazy to pay for diesel at $4.15 per gallon. Just going up to Ashland is like $300 bucks just for fuel.

Thinking about converting to natural gas. Just have to find trips where I can get fuel.

If we had any leaders in this country they would get all the trucks converted to NG.

Then we would say adios OPEC.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 9 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Looking good Tim!
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 10 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #14

Randal - my uncle converted his garbage truck to natural gas he used for business back in the 80s and even with gas at less than a buck then, it was still cheaper to do that. I am considering getting an Excursion since getting rid of my F250 to have a place to sleep at the track, but have considered getting another F250 but V10 so I can convert to NG and just have a tank in the bed behind the cab.

Currently I rent my buddy's pickup from him (GM diesel) and then put whatever I burn to go to the track here, roughly 18 gals all said and done. The track is roughly 120 miles round trip, point being I have to burn fuel to get the trailer, pick up fuel for the car, take the trailer back, so forth so it isn't just fuel to get to the track. It all adds up.

Hey Ferg - good to see you 'round. The car is a fair bit faster since that day I gave you a ride when I first moved here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 10 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #15

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

just awesome!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 10 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Oct 10 2011, 01:07 PM) *

Randal - my uncle converted his garbage truck to natural gas he used for business back in the 80s and even with gas at less than a buck then, it was still cheaper to do that. I am considering getting an Excursion since getting rid of my F250 to have a place to sleep at the track, but have considered getting another F250 but V10 so I can convert to NG and just have a tank in the bed behind the cab.

Currently I rent my buddy's pickup from him (GM diesel) and then put whatever I burn to go to the track here, roughly 18 gals all said and done. The track is roughly 120 miles round trip, point being I have to burn fuel to get the trailer, pick up fuel for the car, take the trailer back, so forth so it isn't just fuel to get to the track. It all adds up.

I've checked around the web a bit and there are some people doing this. It looks like the engine has to be taken apart and the pistons replaced (lower compression) and the heads reworked to accept spark plugs. I am going to keep looking; pretty interesting stuff.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Oct 10 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #17

Unregistered

Tim,

WOW! FABULOUS!

Great Driving! Great car!

You are my hero!

I have to work pretty hard against C5 ZO6 Corvette's. I can't keep up with the C6 ZO6 versions ... your EXTRA 300 HP would sure come in handy on the straits!

Congratulations!

Randall,

Which NHA Hillclimbs are you planning for 2012? I just did my first at Maryhill Loops Road (Goldendale, WA). Lots of cool cars and drivers.

Too bad the NHA hillclimbs are spread out over hundreds and hundreds of miles!

I will post a video of my runs as soon as I can get them.

Cheers,

Eddie
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 10 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #18

thanks Eddie and Grant! It's funny, I work really hard on being smooth, but I happened to have a friend send me this video a few days before I went - a pro setting the N'Ring record for prod car in a 2010 Viper ACR at 7:12. Seeing him on the wheel so hard sorta caused me to get the mindset to really push it and a little sawing of the wheel is appropriate if on the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5STmCZT_2E8

Good vid to watch before heading out I guess! I was consistently 2 seconds faster than my last track day out there on those tires.

I am finally getting near being able to run with the modern GT2 Porsches. Many run in the 55s like I was, but good guys run 53s with a record in the 52s. With the correct camber and new tires I am hoping to get down to 53s; that would be awesome for me to run with the fastest fendered guys on the track.

Randal - you must be referring to converting a diesel since you mention needing to add spark plugs. That is why I was considering getting a V10 gas Ford, easier to convert. Only issue with the Excursion would be finding a place to put the big arse tank v. a pickup. I really want the Excursion for the enclosed area in the back that I could throw down a twin mattress when I run at the track over two days.

Bit off topic, I watched the Bathurst 1000 V8 Supercar race over this last weekend and literally sat for 6 hrs just watching that race - YouTube some of that stuff if you really like hard core road course racing in door slammer cars. I love those cars and that was one of the best races I have seen in a LONG time. They just drive them so hard even in enduros.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Oct 12 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I manage a fleet of 50 heavy-duty natural gas-powered and diesel-powered transit buses, and the cost difference of CNG vs. diesel is huge on a cost/mile basis. Realize, tho, that you'll give up some torque going to CNG from diesel and especially from gasoline. That especially hurts when climbing over mountain passes.

The other thing to consider is the price and weight/size of the high-pressure fuel tanks. In short, CNG has fewer BTUs per gallon equivalent of liquid fuels, so you'll have to pressurize it to at least 3200 psi (most go to 3600) and have an array of tanks to get any appreciable range. My buses have 10 tanks that are six feet long and about 24" in diameter to get the same range as a 120 gallon diesel tank. That extra weight eats tires and brakes so you'll need to factor that into your decision.

Finally, the spun aluminum & fiberglass tanks have a 15- or 20-year life, after which they must be destroyed (some could be recertifiable, but I haven't heard of many agencies having much luck doing so). Considering that each tank costs about $2500, that affects the bottom line, too.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 12 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #20

cool, thanks for that info. I admit to being aware of the loss in torque (my dad HATED that truck after it was converted) but having sort of forgot how much after all of these years and that is a concern that I appreciate you pointed out, especially now that I get to tow over mountains. Also, I did remember that tank being huge and high pressure, but I admit I wouldn't need as many as you mention since I don't need an equivalent to 120 gals, but more like 35 gals which was the max capacity of my F250 diesel by comparison.

Nonetheless, scaling down from 120 to 35 gal equivalent is roughly three 2ft diam x 6ft tanks which is just a lot of weight to carry along while also trying to schlep a trailer over a mountain pass.

Always good to have someone that is "living it" chime in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 02:20 PM