Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool Collar, 12% reduction in oil temperature
thomasotten
post Jul 21 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

What do you think? Gimmick? I find the 12% figure a little hard to believe. Maybe they were just measuring inlet/outlet temperature of the filter, not OVERALL oil temperature.

(IMG:http://content.madirect.com/img300/fr2423.jpg)

From the Tweeks website:

Tests have revealed a 12% reduction in oil temperature thanks to the Cool Collar, a finned aluminum cooler that increases the surface area by four times, allowing it to radiate heat faster and more efficiently. Unit fits all air and water-cooled Porsche oil filters with a simple slip-on, clamp down installation.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Jul 21 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

Hi,
I've met the guy who invented this device. He has a few other things on the market that work pretty well. I used one of these things on my 911 and I think the 12% figure is a bit optomistic. I would guess maybe a couple of degrees at most. It may be worth it though when used in conjuction with other cooling equipment.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 22 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Maybe 12% at the oil filter....
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 22 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #4

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

12%?! he dreaming... 1-2% I think is what he should mean... a couple degrees at the filter sounds reasonable... dunno if it is worth it
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 22 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

My BS meter is going off.

Paul
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 22 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

Just thinking theoretically, I might believe the 12% number IF the case of the filter were also aluminum AND some sort of thermally conducting grease were used between the filter casing and the heat sink. The oil doesn't go through the filter all that fast, so there may be enough time to lose heat to the filter case and heat sink to make a substantial difference.

If the filter case were steel, forget it. You'd never get enough heat transfer. I think many, if not most, oil filters use steel cases, so the chances this would work don't look good. I'm not a metallurgist or a thermodynamics expert, however.

The basic idea has some merit. With a finned Al filter case, esp. if there were fins INSIDE as well as outside, could provide a healthy amount of cooling.

For quite a few years, and perhaps still, a number of high-performance bikes had an oil cooler than was built into the spin-on filter mount, which circulated engine coolant around the oil passages. This appeared to work well enough to justify its inclusion on a good number of bikes. Not a lot of surface area there for heat transfer, and the coolant would have been at 180-190dF itself.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Jul 22 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,349

To get 12%, the most likely blew a fan over the oil filter to get forced convection going, rather than convection due to normal turbulance.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 22 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

The tail dragger board was all over this a year or two ago....snake oil at best.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jul 22 2004, 10:19 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Hmmm. I have something like for my cookingware for backpacking. Only difference, it's designed to keep the heat in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ruddyboys
post Jul 22 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #10

Hummel eigentümer

Member No.: 1,749
Region Association: North East States

It looks at least 12% cooler then the stock filter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 22 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Looks count.

Just ask the Ricers.

Paul
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 22 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #12

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I think I get it. He probably measured the temp on both sides of a regular filter. Let's say (for example only - these are not real figures!) the temps were 215 going in and 212 coming out. A 3 degree change. He then measured the temp on both sides again with the heat sink in place. Let's say it was 215 going in and 211.64 coming out. The temp differential of 3 degrees increased by 12% or 0.34 degrees. There you have it a "12% increase in cooling".

Now this is purely speculation and I could be wrong. But I could be right.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Jul 22 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 366

12% cooler oil temp??? As a degreed engineer, BULLSHIT!

dave
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 22 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #14

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 22 2004, 12:55 PM)
I think I get it. He probably measured the temp on both sides of a regular filter. Let's say (for example only - these are not real figures!) the temps were 215 going in and 212 coming out. A 3 degree change. He then measured the temp on both sides again with the heat sink in place. Let's say it was 215 going in and 211.64 coming out. The temp differential of 3 degrees increased by 12% or 0.34 degrees. There you have it a "12% increase in cooling".

Now this is purely speculation and I could be wrong. But I could be right.

-Ben M.

I think that's a likely 12% scenario.. I'm curious, would that percent be different if the temps were converted to celcius? Or kelvin? Seems like you could make up a temperature scale to get any percentage you wanted, as long as there was SOME change.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 22 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #15

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Ooop, nevermind I get it.. You couldn't play that trick if you look at in/out temp differential.... but if you only look at the output temps, percentages could vary based on the units... that would be very bad science (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Oct 8 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844

Just came across this item and always interested in cooler oil. So did a little searching: Here is what the maker is saying on their web site.

link

Air Cooled Engine (Road Test)

The test vehicle used was a 1978, 911SC Porsche, equipped with a carrera style oil cooler. The car was driven 65 MPH on an 85 degree day for approximately 35 miles. The car was then stopped and an I.R. thermometer was used to check the temperatures at various points along the oil lines, tank and cooler. Also, the reading on the dash oil temperature gauge was noted. An average temperature of 220 degrees was logged.

A Cool Collar Oil Cooler was then installed on the oil filter, and testing resumed over the same course and speed. At the end of the 35 miles, the car was stopped and all the same measurements were repeated. The temperature readings showed an average of 208 degrees, a reduction of 12 degrees.

Summary: Our calculations show a 9% temperature drop above ambient.

AND

Test Results: Laboratory Test

Castrol GTX 10W30 motor oil was heated to a temperature of 220ºF, and pumped simultaneously through two identical oil filters. One oil filter had a Cool Collar attached, the other filter did not. A fan was used to direct seventy degree F. ambient air over both oil filters at a velocity of fifty miles per hour. The oil exiting the filter having the Cool Collar installed indicated a "heat removal" of two degrees per minute. Whereas the oil temperature exiting the filter without the Cool Collar showed no change. (Typically and automotive engine passes all the oil through the filter more than once per minute).

Summary: With a constant heat source applied to the oil, the temperature dropped to 202ºF. (from 220ºF.) within five minutes. This translates to a 12% temperature decrease of the heat added to ambient temperature.

OK experts, is this real or snake oil. Cost is about $25 and even a few degrees lower oil temp is worth the investment in my mind.

They are playing with the math. 12 degrees is only 5.45% of 220. Still, lower temps are better.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Oct 8 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #17

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Oct 8 2005, 02:43 PM)
Summary: With a constant heat source applied to the oil, the temperature dropped to 202ºF. (from 220ºF.) within five minutes. This translates to a 12% temperature decrease of the heat added to ambient temperature.

They are playing with the math. 12 degrees is only 5.45% of 220. Still, lower temps are better.

They are trying to say that without the collar, the oil is 150 degrees above ambient(220-70) and with the collar, the oil is 132 degrees above ambient (202-70) or 18 degrees less. 18 degrees is 12% of 150.

The lab test is not too real world in the sense that you will not have 50mph, 70degree air blowing across your filter. Also, the rate that their test setup put heat into the oil may not be the same as the rate that your engine puts heat into the oil. Actually, I would bet on it.

They don't seem to understand the difference between heat and temperature either.

Andrew
+Quote Post
davep
post Oct 8 2005, 05:22 PM
Post #18

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

50 MPH is 4400 Feet per minute. That is an extremely high speed for a fan to deliver, a few hundred feet per minute is good. You would get neither the velocity nor that ambient temperature air in a normal 911 engine compartment. Besides, the direction of the air over the fins is critical. Just not going to happen.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 8 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #19

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

not only that, but the oil filter isnt even in a direct air stream...if anything its getting air from the engine fan.....

not gonna happen......

b
+Quote Post
914GT
post Oct 8 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,923

I think the oil filter cooler works best in conjunction with the magnetic fuel cell. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 12:10 PM