Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cool Collar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
What do you think? Gimmick? I find the 12% figure a little hard to believe. Maybe they were just measuring inlet/outlet temperature of the filter, not OVERALL oil temperature.

IPB Image

From the Tweeks website:

Tests have revealed a 12% reduction in oil temperature thanks to the Cool Collar, a finned aluminum cooler that increases the surface area by four times, allowing it to radiate heat faster and more efficiently. Unit fits all air and water-cooled Porsche oil filters with a simple slip-on, clamp down installation.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I've met the guy who invented this device. He has a few other things on the market that work pretty well. I used one of these things on my 911 and I think the 12% figure is a bit optomistic. I would guess maybe a couple of degrees at most. It may be worth it though when used in conjuction with other cooling equipment.
Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
Maybe 12% at the oil filter....
tat2dphreak
12%?! he dreaming... 1-2% I think is what he should mean... a couple degrees at the filter sounds reasonable... dunno if it is worth it
URY914
My BS meter is going off.

Paul
lapuwali
Just thinking theoretically, I might believe the 12% number IF the case of the filter were also aluminum AND some sort of thermally conducting grease were used between the filter casing and the heat sink. The oil doesn't go through the filter all that fast, so there may be enough time to lose heat to the filter case and heat sink to make a substantial difference.

If the filter case were steel, forget it. You'd never get enough heat transfer. I think many, if not most, oil filters use steel cases, so the chances this would work don't look good. I'm not a metallurgist or a thermodynamics expert, however.

The basic idea has some merit. With a finned Al filter case, esp. if there were fins INSIDE as well as outside, could provide a healthy amount of cooling.

For quite a few years, and perhaps still, a number of high-performance bikes had an oil cooler than was built into the spin-on filter mount, which circulated engine coolant around the oil passages. This appeared to work well enough to justify its inclusion on a good number of bikes. Not a lot of surface area there for heat transfer, and the coolant would have been at 180-190dF itself.
thomasotten
To get 12%, the most likely blew a fan over the oil filter to get forced convection going, rather than convection due to normal turbulance.
Joe Bob
The tail dragger board was all over this a year or two ago....snake oil at best.
tod914
Hmmm. I have something like for my cookingware for backpacking. Only difference, it's designed to keep the heat in biggrin.gif
ruddyboys
It looks at least 12% cooler then the stock filter. jester.gif
URY914
Looks count.

Just ask the Ricers.

Paul
airsix
I think I get it. He probably measured the temp on both sides of a regular filter. Let's say (for example only - these are not real figures!) the temps were 215 going in and 212 coming out. A 3 degree change. He then measured the temp on both sides again with the heat sink in place. Let's say it was 215 going in and 211.64 coming out. The temp differential of 3 degrees increased by 12% or 0.34 degrees. There you have it a "12% increase in cooling".

Now this is purely speculation and I could be wrong. But I could be right.

-Ben M.
dmenche914
12% cooler oil temp??? As a degreed engineer, BULLSHIT!

dave
bondo
QUOTE(airsix @ Jul 22 2004, 12:55 PM)
I think I get it. He probably measured the temp on both sides of a regular filter. Let's say (for example only - these are not real figures!) the temps were 215 going in and 212 coming out. A 3 degree change. He then measured the temp on both sides again with the heat sink in place. Let's say it was 215 going in and 211.64 coming out. The temp differential of 3 degrees increased by 12% or 0.34 degrees. There you have it a "12% increase in cooling".

-Ben M.

I think that's a likely 12% scenario.. I'm curious, would that percent be different if the temps were converted to celcius? Or kelvin? Seems like you could make up a temperature scale to get any percentage you wanted, as long as there was SOME change.
bondo
Ooop, nevermind I get it.. You couldn't play that trick if you look at in/out temp differential.... but if you only look at the output temps, percentages could vary based on the units... that would be very bad science smile.gif
gregrobbins
Just came across this item and always interested in cooler oil. So did a little searching: Here is what the maker is saying on their web site.

link

Air Cooled Engine (Road Test)

The test vehicle used was a 1978, 911SC Porsche, equipped with a carrera style oil cooler. The car was driven 65 MPH on an 85 degree day for approximately 35 miles. The car was then stopped and an I.R. thermometer was used to check the temperatures at various points along the oil lines, tank and cooler. Also, the reading on the dash oil temperature gauge was noted. An average temperature of 220 degrees was logged.

A Cool Collar Oil Cooler was then installed on the oil filter, and testing resumed over the same course and speed. At the end of the 35 miles, the car was stopped and all the same measurements were repeated. The temperature readings showed an average of 208 degrees, a reduction of 12 degrees.

Summary: Our calculations show a 9% temperature drop above ambient.

AND

Test Results: Laboratory Test

Castrol GTX 10W30 motor oil was heated to a temperature of 220ºF, and pumped simultaneously through two identical oil filters. One oil filter had a Cool Collar attached, the other filter did not. A fan was used to direct seventy degree F. ambient air over both oil filters at a velocity of fifty miles per hour. The oil exiting the filter having the Cool Collar installed indicated a "heat removal" of two degrees per minute. Whereas the oil temperature exiting the filter without the Cool Collar showed no change. (Typically and automotive engine passes all the oil through the filter more than once per minute).

Summary: With a constant heat source applied to the oil, the temperature dropped to 202ºF. (from 220ºF.) within five minutes. This translates to a 12% temperature decrease of the heat added to ambient temperature.

OK experts, is this real or snake oil. Cost is about $25 and even a few degrees lower oil temp is worth the investment in my mind.

They are playing with the math. 12 degrees is only 5.45% of 220. Still, lower temps are better.
phantom914
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Oct 8 2005, 02:43 PM)
Summary: With a constant heat source applied to the oil, the temperature dropped to 202ºF. (from 220ºF.) within five minutes. This translates to a 12% temperature decrease of the heat added to ambient temperature.

They are playing with the math. 12 degrees is only 5.45% of 220. Still, lower temps are better.

They are trying to say that without the collar, the oil is 150 degrees above ambient(220-70) and with the collar, the oil is 132 degrees above ambient (202-70) or 18 degrees less. 18 degrees is 12% of 150.

The lab test is not too real world in the sense that you will not have 50mph, 70degree air blowing across your filter. Also, the rate that their test setup put heat into the oil may not be the same as the rate that your engine puts heat into the oil. Actually, I would bet on it.

They don't seem to understand the difference between heat and temperature either.

Andrew
davep
50 MPH is 4400 Feet per minute. That is an extremely high speed for a fan to deliver, a few hundred feet per minute is good. You would get neither the velocity nor that ambient temperature air in a normal 911 engine compartment. Besides, the direction of the air over the fins is critical. Just not going to happen.
bd1308
not only that, but the oil filter isnt even in a direct air stream...if anything its getting air from the engine fan.....

not gonna happen......

b
914GT
I think the oil filter cooler works best in conjunction with the magnetic fuel cell. happy11.gif
dmenche914
IR to read points on the oil lines, tank etc... and the dash gage reading all averaged??? What kind of oil temp measurement its that?

Give us the real world change in oil temp as seen at the dash gage measuring the oil in the sump (or oil tank if dry sump). That is what about 99% of us that measure oil temps use 99% of the time, not IR readings on oil lines (which I might assume are when the car is stopped, which can cause a heat soak factor to enter the numbers.)

I want to see how this nifty little device changes the bulk oil temp as measured in the bottom of the case or oil pan. If I see a significant difference there, then I will believe the product works. All the averaging of surface temps of oil lines and tanks required to prove this device works sounds too fishy too me. This is not how the majority of folks measure oil temps, a 12% (or 12 degree, there is some confusion on the posts) drop in the oil sump is considered by many to be significant, maybe what would be expected by the addition of a real oil cooler mounted in the airstream.

There is no way that this thing could cool any better than even the smallest auto oil cooler (with coils and fins). And the temps drops reported are hard to believe even for a regular add on oil cooler of small size (and mounted in the same air flow as the oil filter) Besides, on the 914 the air near the tucked in oil filter is probably pretty warm anyway.

I hear snakes a hissing.
Hawktel
I think someone with a assdragger on the Bird Board bought one and tried a variety of real world tests. Seemed the verdict was sometimes they did notice a very slight difference.

I think its not worth the time.
Trekkor
Adding a 2 foot long front mounted oil cooler reduced my temps by 14-15%.

I wish I had seen this sooner headbang.gif

lol2.gif

KT
Brando
For the cost... not really worth it.

Besides, they really fuck your hands up when trying to get them off doing an oil filter change. They're aimed at the crowd who believe everything they read in the Tweeks catalog and don't really seek real-world results.
messix
that thing rates right up there with the tornado thingy in the intake to increase air flow. junk!
redshift
QUOTE (airsix @ Jul 22 2004, 03:55 PM)
I think I get it. He probably measured the temp on both sides of a regular filter. Let's say (for example only - these are not real figures!) the temps were 215 going in and 212 coming out. A 3 degree change. He then measured the temp on both sides again with the heat sink in place.  Let's say it was 215 going in and 211.64 coming out.  The temp differential of 3 degrees increased by 12% or 0.34 degrees.  There you have it a "12% increase in cooling".

-Ben M.

huh.gif

WHO CARES! IT'S A TURDLE NECK SWEATER FOR YOUR OIL FILTER!

If you had a metal oil filter, that was out in th... NEVERMIND!

M
Twystd1
So let me get this straight..

If I get hot under the collar, I'm supposed to put this on my filter?

What?

Twystd1
Andyrew
I'll get one, test it, and put it on my easy access v8...

I'll put my hand on the filter and tell yall if it gets cooler with da thingy!!!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jul 22 2004, 11:49 AM)
For quite a few years, and perhaps still, a number of high-performance bikes had an oil cooler than was built into the spin-on filter mount, which circulated engine coolant around the oil passages. This appeared to work well enough to justify its inclusion on a good number of bikes. Not a lot of surface area there for heat transfer, and the coolant would have been at 180-190dF itself.

the VW GTI/GLI oil cooler is just like that, and it works pretty darned well IME. liquid/liquid heat exchangers are pretty efficient. since it's jacket water, it tends to heat the oil to operating temp fast and then it keeps it around 185F. the heat is actually rejected to the airstream by the big front-mounted radiator, so you don't have more aero drag and you don't have two kinds of plumbing.

for a street car that only occasionally operates at high loads for a long time (which tend to increase both water and oil temps) it does a pretty good job of operating the engine in a fairly narrow well-regulated temperature range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.