Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
IM101
post Oct 3 2011, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

1/26/2015 update: After a rocky year, Re-focusing, moving the shop, and getting some help.

12/09/2013 update: The shop is back up and running, production on cradles to start next monday.

11/26/2013 update: Still on the hunt for a good position, but planning on officially moving the rest of my shop over after thanksgiving Stay tuned for production run status!

10/13/013 update: Had what looked like an good gig but it went sideways on me... May have figured out a temporary shop to get things going in... priority 1 is a cable shift bracket. Also posted what inventory i have left on the second post of my vendor thread.

9/1/2013 update: Wedding and honeymoon went great! Just trying to get settled in Boise now and land a paycheck job to support a resume in operations. Check on page 9 for details.

5/20/2013 update: Getting married and moving, help me make it happen, take advantage of my stock liquidation. prices listed in the 2nd post of my member vendor thread. Details of the move are on page 9 of this thread

1/2/2012 update: After a too long of a wait the Axles are finally done Shipping to customers will commence ASAP.

11/9/2012 update: In my ongoing quest to make the conversion process simpler and cheaper I have now become a Small Car Performance and Speed hut dealer. both allowing me to pass on a little bit of a discount to customers. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

09/12/2012 update: I'm very exited to announce that my website is live! feel free to check it out coldwater914.com. It is a work in progress but I'm very please with how it is turning out.

8/7/2012 update: I'm gearing up for my first production run this coming weekend, to see some pictures and descriptions go to my member vendor thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=191930

If any of those winter projects are Subaru conversions I would just like to inform you of what is coming down the pipeline...
Lots of groundwork has been laid in the realm of Subaru conversions with guys like porscharu and DBcooper not to mention the ankle biter thread. The moral of the story is it is a great option for these little cars, excellent reliability, MPG... and of course power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

The conversion has been done, and well, many times. However like many conversions it takes time, there are many different pieces to the subi conversion puzzle and they all have to be fabricated, sourced, and installed. A process that can take months if not years depending on how much spare time is available.

I'm working on a solution to that however. One place that someone can get everything needed for the Subaru conversion. The engine cradle the axles the transmission (if going with the Subaru box over the 901) and even a turnkey engine... for DIY'ers or plug and play guys. The 914/Subaru conversion, simplified.

So if you're thinking about a Subaru conversion fell free to ask questions and be sure to stay tuned.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 3 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I'm working on a solution to that however. One place that someone can get everything needed for the Subaru conversion. The engine cradle the axles the transmission (if going with the Subaru box over the 901) and even a turnkey engine... for DIY'ers or plug and play guys. The 914/Subaru conversion, simplified.

Doing this right now... Not just for the 914. Turnkey optimized engines are already selling and development is in full swing to include exhaust systems, mounts and adaptors.

Yep a one stop shop-(Sounds like we think alike)

The website will be up within a month and you can see what we have been doing behind the green curtain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 3 2011, 04:03 PM
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 3 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

a subaru STI conversion for a 356 would be something I might go for if the turnkey option is available.

Rich
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Oct 3 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm not planning a Subaru conversion, but I am happy to announce that I have rejoined the Subaru family by buying a nicely used Forester for the better half. I feel so much closer to you all now..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 3 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I'm building my 914 trailer right now. As soon as it's mobile and out of the garage, Sasquach goes under the knife. Up to the point of destruction, the rotary engine was awesome. Just dont leave your crank angle sensor loose. mine mounts like a distributor. Lots of swing when loose. The power is incredable! I will be offering rides once it's running again. You must experience it before you knock it!
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 3 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

I'm finally working on mine again,, wiring in the highway 15 kit,, then on to plumbing.. playing with the idea of a custom aluminum gas tank. preliminary measurements give me about 14 gals useable with keeping the design simple.. $$$ aren't too bad $300-400.. I'm going to play a bit more then see about pulling the trigger..

and to relive every bodies fears,,, NO I WILL NOT BE MAKING IT!!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 3 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 3 2011, 04:07 PM) *

I'm finally working on mine again,, wiring in the highway 15 kit,, then on to plumbing.. playing with the idea of a custom aluminum gas tank. preliminary measurements give me about 14 gals useable with keeping the design simple.. $$$ aren't too bad $300-400.. I'm going to play a bit more then see about pulling the trigger..

and to relive every bodies fears,,, NO I WILL NOT BE MAKING IT!!

How about this one? It will fit with minor massaging. Better yet, it looks pro not home built.

RCI 2161A
Attached Image
+Quote Post
d914
post Oct 3 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

never mind 9in.............mmmm hammer not so big

I'm looking at pro built!! it is gas after all!! That's 12 in across.. sounds like hammer time for part of the length??
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 3 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Lol sorry kg6dxn. I ment ankle biter thread. Freudian slip there as I was just looking at ur thread.. not nocking a rotary in anyway.. quite a sweet engineering in my opinion..
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 3 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #10

Jake I seem to recall you mocking water cooled conversions.. but cool I'm exited to see what kind of monster you guys can come out with..
and here I was thinking that renagade was the only other guys doing something similar.

In anycase I wouldn't want all the work thus far to be a complete waste so the 914 world may have two one stop shops. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 3 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #11

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 3 2011, 04:31 PM) *

I seem to recall you mocking water cooled conversions.. but cool I'm exited to see what kind of monster you guys can come out with..
and here I was thinking that renagade was the only other guys doing something similar.

In anycase I wouldn't want all the work thus far to be a complete waste so the 914 world may have two one stop shops. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Suby conversion makes sense.. We will continue to provide aircooled solutions as well, just like always. The aircooled engines are now more expensive than ever and more difficult to produce.

The Suby market is very large outside of conversions so its worth our development. Our expansion into the watercooled Porsche M96 engine several years ago found us with all the capabilities required to offer an awesome Suby powerplant.

At the present we are working with LN Engineering to make the largest big bore kits ever available. Len Hoffman is working on cylinder head development and I have reconfigured our R&D dyno to support the Suby engine exclusively. I have been working to develop several camshaft grinds and other parts as well.

Conversions are just part of the plan. Bolting the engine in seamlessly and smartly is what makes the conversion more welcome; having an application specific engine combination does the rest. I am currently bolting in an EJ25 based engine into a '73 Superbeetle and as always the VW will be more my focus than the 914. This EJ25 will end up a 2.9 liter animal with "Snickies" in 104.5mm. With a regeared Quaife equipped 915, 6 piston 996TT brakes and wheels its going to be a beast.

The 914 was the one application that my plan hasn't focused on, so perhaps we can work together rather than against each other? That makes sense.

I have 3 turnkey big bore engines sold (underway) and we haven't even advertised that we are doing the work yet :-)

Yes, I do prefer my crow served warm.. I believe the definition of a fool is a person that can't change his/ her mind. Thus far anyone who has learned of what we are developing with the Suby has been shocked but at the same time they have all stated that they can't wait to see where this goes~

No we offer a true choice, air or water cooled engines with the Raby brand. Other people have certainly done this in the past, but building the engine from the inside out then supporting its conversion has never been done in the manner that we are attacking it.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 3 2011, 05:49 PM
+Quote Post
a914622
post Oct 3 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,048

Im in the prosses of pulling out the chevy DZ302 out right now!! I have a sweet closed deck 2.2 with 2001 SOHC heads and a little boost going in.

Is there a cradle offered? I planed on making what i needed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

jcl
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 3 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Holy crapola it is mainstream now! SUBY SUBY SUBY!

Ian I still think it is a good idea to do something with the suby conversions. Jake does amazing work. It sounds like he is doing more development with building a monster suby motor. Knowing the way Jake does things it will all be first rate. It also won't be cheap which is absolutely justified with the work he puts into his builds & kits. Having said all that there is definately room for someone for teeners doing it on the cheap. Teeners who don't want a compete kit. There will be plenty of guys who want parts to do the conversion. I would concentrate on the guys doing it on the cheap. Jake is a long way from Oregon. Plenty of room for all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 3 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #14

Engine Surgeon

Oregon is 3 days via UPS :-)

Like I said, 914 is not my primary focus but the developments are universal. Plenty of room for more players here, nothing motivates me like a friendly battle :-)

It won't be cheap and will only be complete; thats the only way I do things.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 3 2011, 07:35 PM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 3 2011, 07:49 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 3 2011, 06:31 PM) *

Oregon is 3 days via UPS :-)

Like I said, 914 is not my primary focus but the developments are universal. Plenty of room for more players here, nothing motivates me like a friendly battle :-)

It won't be cheap and will only be complete; thats the only way I do things.

I agree about plenty of room for more players. Love having you on here Jake. It would be a little cooler to start your own thread touting your new suby production. Let the guy have his thread to gage interest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Okay so let's get back to what you are planning to bring to the suby conversion process IM101 (Ian). Besides a turn key setup what do you have in mind? What parts besides a turn key will be available?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 3 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #16

Engine Surgeon

No problem. I agree.
Please delete my posts.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Oct 3 2011, 08:00 PM
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Oct 3 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,611
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good luck with your venture. There seems to be plenty of market for it and those of us in progress of the swap know that there the options get complicated.

I myself am one of the "process that can take years" type of guys. I'll tell you kids, college and the good 'ol U.S.Navy can get in the way of a project this complicated. If what you are describing was around when I started, I'd be done long ago. I ended up getting a JDM ej20g and one of the hardest parts was sourcing the motor and deciding on an engine management for it.

Good luck to you!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 3 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #18

Resident Electrician

I want to hear what Jake has planned! F the Dr.

Post all you want Jake. SEMPER FI!
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 3 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #19

Thank you Jamie, but I don’t sense the "DR" intent (no demeaning language or ruining of group buys)

There is no need to delete any posts; I actually almost want to thank Jake for posting. That an Icon of Porsche/VW engine building has decided to branch out to the Subaru platform only gives more credibility to the conversion. It truly is an incredible option for the 914 (and beetle... Jeeez that thing sounds like a monster Jake!), yes there is power reliability gas mileage, but also ease of maintenance (just take it down to your local Subaru dealer or Import repair shop), aftermarket support (cant even begin to list the venders available), not to mention it is still a flat four or six. From just about every angle you look at it the Subaru conversion, "makes sense."

Clearly Jake and I will be on different levels, I could not even dream to do the work that Jake and his team can accomplish, and judging from his response he doesn't want to deal with selling anything but complete setups. Where as I do not mind selling just the cradle or cv/axles or any other pieces to DIY'ers working out of there garage on a budget. Or even guys who would be happy with a paltry 200-400HP kit.
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Oct 3 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #20

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385

I think there will be a lot of interest. I have been thinking of a Suby update sometime later. JoeO
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:03 AM