Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Conversion Products, coldwater914.com
IM101
post Aug 6 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

*1/19/2021: First couple of updated production cradles are complete and will be shipping out tomorrow! I'll be welding and shipping the rest over the next week or so, have 18 more to go, anyone who said they were interested will be getting an email from me shortly. Good to be back!

*12/10/2020: Wanted to wait until I was close to give an update, I have completed the prototyping process and am finishing welding production cradles over the next few days, 20 in this run, with many already spoken for and many more cradles to come after.. Also have hardware arriving for the cable shift and back plate so will be able to send those out as well. Also I am updating the shifter as well, specifically adjusting the clamp on the shift rod coming out of the 5mt. The update should remove a small amount slop that can be present on some of the original kits.

*8/7/2020: Wow, 5 years since my last update, time flys.  Apologies for going no show for such a long time, and to the guys who were hoping for a kit sometime over the last 5 years really bummed and somewhat feel like I let the community down (but such is life, and family comes first as I am sure you are all familiar with).  On to the good news, I just confirmed and paid for my first laser-cutting order in a long time, 4 new prototype parts that should be the pinnacle of my original cradle design. adjusting a few of the quirks from the original design (Ex: perfect axle alignment, OEM Transmission mount etc.). I also have been working with a new CAD application I have been able to do some modeling (link to photo) which has me excited about future possibilities.
The biggest benefit of the new design will be in much easier/quicker production time, eliminating a lot of tube prep/bending. Which for me is huge as the main issue holding me back over the years is time. I am actually working to further reduce production efforts, but that will come later in the year as I have the process more ironed out.

For now and most importantly for all of you, my plan is to have 20 cradles / trans hangers ready to ship by the end of August.
I'll reach out to those who have emailed me in the past with interest for a cradle but feel free to ping me again if you want one. Also have a business line set up, feel free to shoot me a text as well: 208-817-0141

*1/26/2015: After a rocky year, Re-focusing, moving the shop, and getting some help.

*12/9/2013: Back up and running, planning to ship parts at the end of next next week!

* 09/6/2013: In Boise ID! we move into a new apartment on the 10th, onto a good job lead that should give me some time to begin the process of reopening Coldwater. Please email ian@coldwater914.com if you are interested and ready to buy parts as it will help me to schedule production.

* 07/11/2013: I Get married tomorrow and will be gone on honeymoon/moving probably until mid august. feel free to email me with any questions, I will respond when I'm back stateside and settled. Thanks for all the support!!

*Update 05/20/2013: Liquidating stock to get ready for a wedding/move to Boise. 5% off normal prices, an ej22t, and a couple of transmissions.

*Update 09/12/2012: very exited to announce that my website is live! feel free to check it out coldwater914.com. It is a work in progress but I'm very please with how it is turning out.

I’m very excited to announce that I will be doing my first production run of cradles this coming weekend august 11th. In concert with this first production run I also am coming out with several other drivetrain related products. Below is a list of what I will have ready to ship the beginning of next week.

It should be noted that the last item on the list, the Hybrid Axles, are not quite ready to go yet. Pending a final test fit and a boost in capital (hopefully from this first production run), I will be able to put in a stocking order with SAW and have them ready to ship in 3 weeks.

If you want to help out with the stocking order feel free to officially pre order the axles when you pay for the rest of your order, If you chose to preorder the axles, I will ship them for free (domestic only) when they come in.
At this time I’m ready to start taking informal pre orders, (the list has already been started and two of the ten cradles are already claimed) just send me a note letting me know what you would like.

(Shipping not included in price)

-Engine Cradle- 500$
Attached Image
(pictured cradle is a prototype set up with 4cly only engine mounts, new style designed to accept Subaru mounts)

Save yourself uncounted hours and get this bolt in engine cradle. Designed to be as universal as possible the cradle works with the stock 914 chassis mounting points as well as stock Subaru engine mounts, enabling the use of either a 901 or Subaru transmission. Made from .095" wall steel tubing and .25" laze cut steel, the cradle is burly enough to accept any Subaru motor from the four cylinder ej series to the 3.3/3.6L sixes.

-5mt Transmission Hanger- 75$
Attached Image

Take your 914 Subaru conversion to the next level, by upgrading to a Subaru 5mt transmission. The transmission hanger incorporates seamlessly into your Cold Water Engine Cradle, allowing you to install/remove the transmission without dropping the cradle/engine

-FWD Spline Coupler- 175$
Attached Image

This coupler replaces the center differential in the Subaru 5mt, locking the transmission into front wheel drive. Formed solely in the US from a single piece of high strength 4140 alloy steel and hardened to perfection, you can be sure that only quality parts are going into your transmission.

-5mt Back Plate- 100$

For those who understand that a thin piece of aluminum with some wholes cut should not cost 200+ this plate is a, no nonsense, get it done, part. Laser cut out of marine grade aluminum and including the necessary hardware, it can be described as simple, quality.

-Late Trans Stubs- 100$

Later Subaru 5mt’s use an all in one DOJ(inner CV) that is incompatible with the design of a 914, however the later transmissions, no matter the visual similarities, are stronger than the earlier ones. to convert these late transmissions to use the older style female DOJ and stub, it is usually necessary to open up the transmission to install a set of the older Stubs and oil seals. Not the case anymore, with the right axle stubs/oil seals from Subaru and ten minutes of time a transmission can be ready to rock the necessary DOJ.

-Urethane Cradle Mounts- 85$
For that sweet spot between stock rubber and solid mounts these Urethane mounts help to kill weld cracking, bolt loosening, vibration while replacing soft/old/cracking rubber mounts that will fail after too much heavy use. The simple design is a direct replacement of the stock mounts, which means even if you aren’t ready to jump into liquid cooled engines you can still tighten up shifting and replace old cracked rubber on your teener.

-Hybrid Axles- 375$

Attached Image

These custom, 4340 alloy, Sway-A-Way axles bridge the gap between the Subaru transmission and the 914 hubs. With Subaru splines on one side the axle will fit the 02-04 Impreza wrx DOJ. While on the outside Sway-A-Way's signature free floating splines accept both the 914 and 944 CV joint. The 02-04 wrx DOJ will fit most subaru 5mt transmissions from 93-2013

* The axles also have been found to fit other older Impreza DOJ's as well and similar year legacy DOJ's, But are not guaranteed on anything but the 02-04 wrx DOJ
** DO NOT buy after market DOJ's of any kind and expect them to work, they are made mass produced in china and the inner star/race is not stock OEM.

Feel free to ask questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best Regards,
Ian Megale
Founder
Cold Water Conversions LLC
(503) 720-2981
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IM101
Post #2

10/13 Inventory:
Cradles: 0
Trans hangers: 0
Back plates: 9
Spline Coupler: 0
Hybrid Axles: 4
Urethane Mounts: 11

Trans 1: 700$
Trans 2: 800$
I have 2 Transmissions in great condition, 40-60k. they are out of an 06-07 Impreza, non turbo.

Ej22t: 700$
I have an EJ22t complete engine that looks to be in great shape, comes with a td04 turbo and perfect power 6 to run everything, the wireing will need some work, but this is a great closed deck block that can run with some serious boost.

Please Email or call to order @
ian@coldwater914.com
503-720-2981

-Regards
Ian
+Quote Post
IM101
Post #3

place holder
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 6 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,018

Awesome, August is going to be an interesting month!

Count me in for the first run.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 7 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #5

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Just in time for this falls project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I'm in for everything, minus the "late model stubs" I am working from a '98 Forrester donar.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Aug 7 2012, 09:26 AM
Post #6

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

All looks great. You're going to have fun and make a lot of people happy, which is all good.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 7 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

Ian,
I just want to say, your doing a great job with all this.
Honestly, when you first jumped in to it, I was skeptical.
It is a big project that takes a lot of time and commitment, with lots of risk.
To do this on top of your school load, I have to say, your doing a great job!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 7 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(my928s4 @ Aug 6 2012, 07:43 PM) *

Awesome, August is going to be an interesting month!

Count me in for the first run.

It definitely is! beside the production run I'm also just about done designing the cable shift set up for the Subaru 5Mt should have the prototype done within the month.

thanks I've put you down!

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 7 2012, 06:15 AM) *

Just in time for this falls project! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I'm in for everything, minus the "late model stubs" I am working from a '98 Forrester donar.

Great I will put you down, Shoot me your address when you get a chance so i can get a shipping quote.

also you will have to probably get a set of legacy or impreza DOJ's(inner CV's) for my axles as in testing the forester had a different spline count.

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Aug 7 2012, 08:26 AM) *

All looks great. You're going to have fun and make a lot of people happy, which is all good.

Yep I'm pretty amped to finally be at this point, R&D took a lot longer than I expected, I think I ended up with 5 or 6 revisions on the engine mounts... But pretty exited to start seeing my cradles make it to some builds.

But thanks to you DB, without you and others inspiring builds and trailblazing I don't think I'd be in this situation.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 7 2012, 10:31 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Aug 7 2012, 09:07 AM) *

Ian,
I just want to say your doing a great job with all this.
Honestly, when you first jumped in to it, I was skeptical.
It is a big project that takes a lot of time and commitment, with lots of risk.
To do this on top of your school load, I have to say, your doing a great job!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Thank you! it has been pretty intense, and frustrating... I would look at the next portion of designing and know exactly what i needed to do and bet it would take one or two weeks... than school or something would get in the way and more than a month later I'd finally be moving on to the next thing. But I'm here now and it all the trials seem so worth it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post Aug 7 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #10

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm in for a Cradle, Trans mount, Urethane mounts and the back-plate.

Not sure how I'm going to budget this but I'll try to work something out with all the other parts I'm buying right now. Just put me at the back of the list maybe.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 7 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #11

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

This is very inspiring. I had been considering a new project car, but I may have decided to take mine down a new path.

Great work.
+Quote Post
Ga Dan
post Aug 7 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,183

This is Great, and just what I have been waiting for. I sent a message but not sure it went through. I would like to be on your purchase list and have a few questions.
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 7 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #13

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

pm sent
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 7 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Aug 7 2012, 10:28 AM) *

I'm in for a Cradle, Trans mount, Urethane mounts and the back-plate.

Not sure how I'm going to budget this but I'll try to work something out with all the other parts I'm buying right now. Just put me at the back of the list maybe.

Cool I will put you on as tentative and let you know if the spots are going to be filled.

If you can send me an address that would enable me to get an accurate shipping estimate.

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 7 2012, 12:51 PM) *

This is very inspiring. I had been considering a new project car, but I may have decided to take mine down a new path.

Great work.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) thats just what i want to hear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(Ga Dan @ Aug 7 2012, 05:46 PM) *

This is Great, and just what I have been waiting for. I sent a message but not sure it went through. I would like to be on your purchase list and have a few questions.

It did not, try again or feel free to ask me on this thread, I don't mind, as long as its not something like "for the Subaru conversion, explain all the options and their respective pro/con's..." because that would take a long long time, and i have to weld some cradles this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
eric914
post Aug 8 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,613
Region Association: Upper MidWest

PM sent. Put me down for a cradle
+Quote Post
Heater Guy
post Aug 8 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 10,960

FYI:
Here is how I made my cable shift setup. Works Great with a modified MR2 shifter.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 8 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #17

Looking good guys! if you have not already please send your adress so i can get shipping estimateswhen i send the invoices out for payment.

Im planning on doing all the quotes at the same time early next week after im done welding. this way its more of a deffinit price as compared to giving rough estimates on dimension and wieght.

also I should mention that right now im set up for paypal or good old fasion checks.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 8 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #18

Nice, different from others that I've seen but a good design. I still think im going to go a little diferent dirction however. I posted a shot of the basic design in my other thread if you would like to see.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=146674
(end of page 6)

QUOTE(Heater Guy @ Aug 8 2012, 03:39 PM) *

FYI:
Here is how I made my cable shift setup. Works Great with a modified MR2 shifter.

+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 15 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #19

Update:
should have known that it was not going to be an easy first run. I had the tube notcher give out on me at the wrong time, and then after that was taken care of, i still had some pulling issues on the fixture.
I could have pushed it through and the cradles probably would have been close enough to work, but I couldnt sell somthing that's not on par. I will be working on a solution and hopefully will have the production run complete by the end of next weekend.

Hopefully you guys can understand.

also i should clarify with my current work schedual the weekend for me is mon/tue.
+Quote Post
my928s4
post Aug 16 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 8,018

Better to do it right than rush, no worries an extra week or 2 on my part.

Question, in preparation what HW do we need to mount the cradle to the body and cradle to engine/transmission? Maybe this sounds dumb but if I need to re-use some of the original 914 bolts/brackets mine are toast. If I need to go get some items now might be a good time!

Cheers
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:12 AM