Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
DBCooper
post Aug 21 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #121

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Try FLI in Santa Rosa (http://finelineimports.net/index.php?main_...products_id=563) I don't know them personally but have heard good things. I see on that link they list the Link Extreme for $1650, so you'll need to pretty talk them a bit to get to $1500. I'd hate to think people wouldn't pursue these later motors thinking it's not possible or uber expensive to adapt them. They're really nice engines.

Yeah, I know, such a deal, but it's OK, I'm happy with what I have. You know I DID get my WRX motor for $600, complete. Craig's list. Nothing wrong with the WRX, but I do like N/A horsepower and am intrigued by how well a 3.6 should work in a 914. You know that engine's rods are offset? Thrust on the rod on the power stroke is always on one side, so they changed the geometry so that side was aligned with the stroke offset and direction. Cool concept. Only problem, from what I've heard, is that the rods are sintered, making it harder for aftermarket replacements. Also I don't know enough about it to say, but the oil pump in that engine is down in the sump. If you need to section the pan (probably not, but still) that might be a problem. Anyway, if I had an engine I needed to fit it would one thing. But I don't.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 21 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #122

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Question: If one wants the EZ30D what is the best route. Find a wreck, strip it and use the ECU that came with the car? Or, aftermarket ECU and the related headaches that a non-pro tuner will encounter and just for go the additional HP that VVT offers? Sorry for the beginner questions but I'm still at the "dumb ass stage" with the Suby stuff and and trying to formulate an opinion before the check book opens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I hope to see a couple of Suby 4's this weekend so I might change my mind in the next few days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Great thread! Thx for all the valuable input from everyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
913B
post Aug 21 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

How would one know of getting the EZ30D would it be stamped on the block somewhere. And as far as the 5mt any AWD drive will do ?
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 22 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Zaney:
Thanks for the link looks like an interesting set up. The design on the Subaru cable shift is pretty strait forward and I’m pretty set with it. On the other hand, if you would like to find examples of a 901 side shift cable set up I’d love to see pictures of that! My original designs ended up pricing out too expensive and I need to figure out an clean/sturdy design.

DBCooper:
I will check them out thanks for the heads up. Furthermore thank you for the valuable input/ trying to keep the options open for people and keeping me on my toes =). I completely understand where you are coming from these are really sweet engines and that would be great in a 914.
$600 for a complete wrx?!? Where are you finding these prices! Yes I understand the 3.6 has some really cool engineering to it. The asymmetrical rods will make aftermarket more difficult, but then again the 3.6 is sooo nice as it sits stock I don’t know why you would want to change it; 260hp on regular gas? A great wide hp/tq curve with avcs and vvt? The 6cyl sound? What’s not to love?

76-914:
you are just about right on with your description; find a wreck get the complete engine, wiring harness, ECU. And you should be set. I should have added for clarification (and have now) that the EZ30D does not have VVT or AVCS of the latter EZ series. This is great for the budget minded as the stock ECU will work fine and aftermarket options for tenability and a small increase in power are available for much less, 600-1500.
As compared to a turbo 4cyl they are going to be close to the same feeling engine. The 4 will usually have a more peaky torque curve, but there are so many more options for power and fine tuning it is much more versatile. Then again a 6 has about the same hp and sounds like a 6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

913b_sp:
Good question, as I stated in the write up a couple posts back the main visual difference from the latter EZ’s is going to be the aluminum (vs plastic) intake manifold and the single (oval/slot shaped) exhaust ports. I don’t know if there is any block stamping or the differences in the stamps. The vehicle it comes out of is the 2001-2003 Outback LL Bean edition.
The transmission should be chosen relative to the cars power levels. As a general rule of thumb less than 200hp, most any ’95 up Trans will do. For turbo stock hp 220-280 a turbo transmission would be required, 2002-2010. There are several different options in turbo transmissions and I have written a 5 page write up that will be going onto my website when it is all ready but to net it I would suggest any turbo trans from 2005-2007 as the best all around choice. Finally, for the +300HP range I would recomend looking at a strenghtend turbo transmission, using something like an RA gearset for low 300hp and an Albiens gearset for the higher outputs.

Basically if you stick to those numbers you should be pretty safe to treat the trans fairly aggressive. if you tryto make a lower leval transmission work with higher hp you will really have to be more careful with it. in general its all in how you drive.

furthermore care must be given to your CV choice, that is where you go for the weakest link that works. IE the stock 914 CV should be used up to the mid/high 200HP range before you consider going stronger. as i have said before the CV are the fuse of the drivetrain system. If you want your transmission to last go with the lighter fuse, if you go with stronger CV's in the wrong set up you could move the breaking point to something inside the tranny... not good...
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 22 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #125

So hold my hand one more minute; I've got another question. I should be looking for a Outback or Legacy 2000-03 if I want the EZ30D? Any others. What if I find one with an automatic? Any hidden horrors in converting to 5 or 6 speed suby trans? tia. kent
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 22 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #126

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 22 2012, 07:02 PM) *

So hold my hand one more minute; I've got another question. I should be looking for a Outback or Legacy 2000-03 if I want the EZ30D? Any others. What if I find one with an automatic? Any hidden horrors in converting to 5 or 6 speed suby trans? tia. kent

The wiki pages provide a pretty good make, model, and engine application chart. It helped me when shopping for my donor car.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 22 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #127

76-914: sorry Freudian slip, I was looking at some legacy outback engines earlier and the name stuck in my head (the mid 90s outbacks were "legacy outbacks." I fixed my mistake and added more to my previous post. But just to clarify:

The EZ30D is found in the 2001-2003 Outback LL Bean edition.

and yes the wiki is a pretty accurate source for general Subaru engine info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 28 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #128

Half way through the production run pleased to report everything is going great! Here is a before pic from this morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 29 2012, 01:00 AM
Post #129

Well right at about 5ish i ran out of wire, didn't have a spare spool on hand but the good news is i got through enogh of the cradles to fill the pre-orders!

Ill update the member vendor thread with more specific info.

here is a partial after pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 29 2012, 01:17 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 22 2012, 07:02 PM) *

Kent,
The car we took a spin in the other day had a EJ205 from an AT impreza that hugged a tree.
I went into a Pic-a-part for a 914 air blower and it was the first car I saw. $1000 to the yard for the motor, ECU and complete harness. I gave another guy $100 to pull it all out.
That was a great deal. I had to go back for the gauge cluster. Fuel pump controller and some other sensors were missing.
Not wanting to cut up the Ruby914 I went looking for a 2nd car.
I also found a guy on craigslist that was parting out another WRX. I got more parts from him.
I removed the AT harness and everything that I didn't want from the main harness. I used Romraider to switch off codes from any thing I removed.

I think I got lucky but I would keep my eye out on Craigslist, Nasioc and Ebay for anyone parting out a car.
I am sure Ian can tell you, better than I, about what the best motor is.
My car is fast but I am not happy with the intercooler location and maybe it's not the turbo but the turbo lag that makes me feel it is not the best setup for complete control of the car.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
always learning
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Aug 29 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #131

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(IM101 @ Aug 29 2012, 12:00 AM) *

Well right at about 5ish i ran out of wire, didn't have a spare spool on hand but the good news is i got through enogh of the cradles to fill the pre-orders!

Ill update the member vendor thread with more specific info.

here is a partial after pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Looking good, you make me want to redo mine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 29 2012, 07:18 AM
Post #132

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

very impressive !!!
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 29 2012, 07:32 AM
Post #133

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 29 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #134

Got my attention. Nice work. I'm sure we'll be talking before years end. For those of you considering this: try to hitch a ride in one of these conversions. Very impressive. I rode in Mark's (ruby914) last Sat and it was a gas. Not sure if my smile was organic or a result of pulling G's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Mark: I'm checking Craigslist every day. Thx again for the spin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 29 2012, 09:19 AM
Post #135

Delaware USA

my guess is that even with a lowly 1.8L sub engine, coupled with 5spd suby trans, the fun/reliability factor should be excellent, not to mention the gas mileage.

look forward to the shift linkage solution being developed.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 29 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #136

Ha! All this excitement makes me want to finish my own car! Alas it is the main testing ground for all the building so probably wont done for a while yet... if anyone wants to drive to Portland, or just loan me one for a while that would be cool! =P
Well off to work got to get the shipping quotes and the invoices out today. Check my member vendor thread for the details if you like.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Sep 9 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #137

Delaware USA

some of ian's parts in action (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

** note - this is a turbo install which requires partial trunk floor modification.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...78501&hl=im painting&st=200

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-8018-1347125444.jpg)

below is DBCooper's trunk mod.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-12367-1337275297.jpg)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 12 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #138

Thanks Jim!
One thing to add, the Subaru transmission does require a bit of extra clearance as well not just the turbo.

Its pretty cool to see it in a another 914!
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 12 2012, 11:09 AM
Post #139

Guys! check out my new website! coldwater914.com. It is a work in progress but I'm very please with how it is turning out.
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Sep 12 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #140

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738

Great job!

Any news on the cable shifter components? I will probably look into that and a cradle. It will open up more options for me in the future... Speed is addictive!!!

Thanks!

Nate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:09 AM